Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Found Tuam Road Galway

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just to get this out there!

A dog was hit by a car at the JJ Flemings Roundabout on the Tuam Road yesterday evening. I brought him to the Glenina Vet in Mervue and they took him in overnight. I put in an announcement with Galway Bay FM this morning and left messages with the GSPCA also. The dog will be transferred to the dog pound today if no one comes forward to collect him.

If you are missing your dog; please contact the Glenina vet or the Galway pound today. (large breed)

Thanks

~Posted in Animal Welfare section as well~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

That's a fabulous thing that you did! Please please don't put that dog in the pound as it will be put down if not claimed. If the gspca are full, I think there is another crows called madra that might take the dog. They often advertise in the dogs section in the advertiser. I hope the owner finds you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Discription of dog please. Is it a brown/black rotweiller type dog?

I remember when my old dog, Sam, got hit by a car. The driver didn't realise that Sam was already missing one back leg from a previous accident and spent a good hour trying to find poor Sam's missing one, thinking they could re-attach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fio_

nope not a rottie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Good for you for taking it to the vet - they're brilliant in Glenina as well.

I wouldn't put him in the pound though - as others have said they'll put him to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fio_

Hey all,

The purpose of my original message was to inform the general public in the off chance the owner of dog is a reader to this site. It is an info post to let them know a dog was run over yesterday eve and he is now in the pound. I dropped him to the vets and followed up this morning with phone calls and radio announcement to try reach the owner.

I did not drop the dog to the pound or I am not responsible for his welfare. I did what I could for this dog at the time. I have also been in touch with the pound and they will hold him for 5 days. If he is not claimed by the owner at this time they will hand him over to any other interested person or if none he will be euthanised.

I wouldn't like this to happen anymore than the rest of ye. But I have done all I can for now. Lets hope his owners wonder where their dog is before then and make some phone calls.

As I said he is now in the Galway city pound, for 5 days.

Cheers,
    Fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Xiney wrote: »
    Good for you for taking it to the vet - they're brilliant in Glenina as well.

I wouldn't put him in the pound though - as others have said they'll put him to sleep.

Well Glenina can't be much of a vet - I know that my vet would never surrender a dog to the Pound. What is the point of treating a dog if you are then going to subject it to the Pound & a likely death - do they have the PTS contract with the pound ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

seriously guys would ye stop !! that person did a great thing by bringing the dog to the vet. many people would have probably just kept going!!
    the situation is completely out of there control now as the dog was handed into the vets,and its up to them to decide what is best option and obvisously they chose the pound.
    maybe they didnt have the space or facilities to keep the dog over night,you dont know what the curcumstances are so dont be jumping the gun and giving off about it!!

as for glenina vets,i bring my pets there and i always find them very nice and very good with the animals and a pleasure to deal with!

once again well done fio!!

amy85 wrote: »
    seriously guys would ye stop !! that person did a great thing by bringing the dog to the vet. many people would have probably just kept going!!
    the situation is completely out of there control now as the dog was handed into the vets,and its up to them to decide what is best option and obvisously they chose the pound.
    maybe they didnt have the space or facilities to keep the dog over night,you dont know what the curcumstances are so dont be jumping the gun and giving off about it!!

as for glenina vets,i bring my pets there and i always find them very nice and very good with the animals and a pleasure to deal with!

once again well done fio!!

Just in case there is any misunderstanding I think that fio acted wonderfully.
    Fio made a big effort to get the dog to a vet. The vet made a decision to treat it & then condemn it like the 413 killed in Galway Pound last year.
    The Vet made the following oath when they qualified:

"I PROMISE ABOVE ALL that I will pursue the work of my profession with uprightness of conduct & that my constant endeavour will be to ensure the welfare of animals committed to my care"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

Fio, I misinterpreted your post, I thought it was you who was taking the dog to the pound, not the vet. Sorry for any confusion. I think you have done more than most people would in that situation. Pity that's the vets's course of action but that's not your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    Well Glenina can't be much of a vet - I know that my vet would never surrender a dog to the Pound. What is the point of treating a dog if you are then going to subject it to the Pound & a likely death - do they have the PTS contract with the pound ?.

Who exactly do you think will pay the vet for the work that they did do on the animal?

Do you think that we should have a public health service for animals, with free treatment for all?

Sheesh .. half the population of RoI doesn't even have an after-hours social work service for kids, much less free medicine for animals ...

OP - great stuff you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

Rylan wrote: »
    Discription of dog please. Is it a brown/black rotweiller type dog?

rylan, i take from the post that you are maybe missing a dog then?? if its any use i seen a large dog wandering down near nuig,just off the quincentinnel(sorry cant spell right) bridge. he looked like a rottie/cross,long tail(wasnt docked) and didnt seem to be wearing a collar either. there was nobody with him!

anyways just said id let you know if indeed you are missing a dog. and if not then its obviously just a poor doggie out for a walk!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Well done Fio, there's many wouldn't bother doing what you have.
    Hopefully the owners will be conscientious enough to follow up on their missing dog by contacting the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciarabrady1

Hey i lost a dog last week. We're from Knocknacarra. He's a black mixed lab about 8months old with white feet a white chest and a red collar has anyone seen him?
    If not has anyone got the no for the pound i can't get it, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Hey i lost a dog last week. We're from Knocknacarra. He's a black mixed lab about 8months old with white feet a white chest and a red collar has anyone seen him?
    If not has anyone got the no for the pound i can't get it, please.

just pm`d you on the number there :)

You need to call the Pound, all of the local vets, GSPCA & the Guards asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

@minxie:

Opening hours of the pound:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/AnimalControl/Dogs/

Ring the City Council first thing tomorrow morning for the number, or even better go out there yourself! Hope you find your dog.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 geeniebops

091757094 is the number of the pound. Hope you find your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ciarabrady1, make a post in the lost/found sticky in this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240
    Hope you find him.

Advertisement