Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry's Lisbon Thread in AH

Options
  • 04-09-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any particular reason for it to be there? It's a political issue and should be in that forum

I'm not gonna say whether I'm for or against Lisbon here because it's a moot point in as far as this thread is concerned. Just like how Terry's thread is a moot point in the forum he placed it in.. and to sticky & close it...wtf!

I put this here instead of Help Desk because I'm not looking for help, it's Feedback.

I don't see how or why the thread needs to be a sticky in AH.

Of course mods are entitled to have an opinion on this, and they should voice their opinions, but doing like that is just unnecessary. He should have at least left it open so that others could voice their opinions too.

I'm not one of the conspiracy people that thinks that Boards is pro-Lisbon but c'mon, do you think the thread needs to be there..?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He is asking people to take the time to familiarise themselves with what it is and to vote according to what they think of it.

Perhaps he doesn't need to state that he is voting yes, but at least he admonishes people appropriately if they are going to let their vote be influenced by him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

He's posted a thread telling people to read up on it.
    I see no problem with that.
    Everyone should read up on it.

What's your gripe with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Regardless of his own stance on the subject, it's still a politically focused issue and there's a forum for that.

Some/Most/All of the people that thanked the post are pro-Lisbon. If it was worded differently the anti-Lisbon crowd would be thanking it, and it would still be in the wrong forum.

My gripe is with it being stickied while other threads are moved to appropriate forums.

And it's bloody condescending to assume that people won't read up on it tbh, sure those people will be the only ones that vote no !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hes doing it so people dont start retarded Lisbon II threads in AH.

Do you really give a shite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

And it's bloody condescending to assume that people won't read up on it tbh, sure those people will be the only ones that vote no !

About as condescending as you assuming that everyone who hasn't read it will vote no

I haven't read it (yet) and I wouldn't be for voting against it

• Advertisement

About as condescending as you assuming that everyone who hasn't read it will vote no

I haven't read it (yet) and I wouldn't be for voting against it

I was being sarcastic. I'm sure people that know it inside out will be voting no too

I was being sarcastic. I'm sure people that know it inside out will be voting no too

Christ.
    Im undecided, but why are all the hardcore Lisbon Loonies™ on the No side? You are starting to make my decision for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was a response to the fact that we had to lock the lisbon treaty thread in AH. We decided it best to do so because the european union forum has the moderators capable to handle such discussion without letting misinformation getting through. We got a bit of negative feedback for closing the thread so this seems an appropriate response IMO. So it isn't out of the blue as it were "Terry says what he thinks about lisbon" but a response to those users put out by the closure of the lisbon treaty thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I do think generally when stickying and locking a thread as to advise people on the rules of the forum (i.e no Lisbon discussion in AH) a mod is better off posting the rules (Moderator hat) rather alone without adding their opinion on the subject (User hat).

Also can someone explain is politics out of bounds for AH now or just this one aspect? And if it is just Lisbon why offer it such special circumstances?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Some/Most/All of the people that thanked the post are pro-Lisbon.

How would anyone know that?
    More to the point, what difference does it make?
    If it was worded differently the anti-Lisbon crowd would be thanking it

I wouldn't know, I have not been following posters enough to know which way they will vote.
    I expect that would be the same for 99% of users on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

there is no reason whatsoever for that mod to state which way he is voting. it should be edited to reflect so
    The yes side may not appeal to you, so this is why I urge you to read up on it before voting.

that imo is a loaded statement.

skelliser wrote: »
    there is no reason whatsoever for that mod to state which way he is voting. it should be edited to reflect so

Did you read the post?
    Before you ask, I'll be voting yes.
    Do not read that as an endorsement for the yes side. Read it as me making an informed decision. After Hours and boards.ie do not endorse any political parties or any side in a referendum. I'm just pointing out my own personal preference in this thread as an AH user and then abusing my mod powers by locking and stickying this thread.
    The yes side may not appeal to you, so this is why I urge you to read up on it before voting.

Do not be a lemming. Make your own decision.

Remember, it's up to you how this turns out. Do not be influenced by any political party or family member or friends or anything you read on the internet (I once ate a 200 year old tortoise. Or did I? You can't believe everything you read on the net).

The great thing about boards.ie is that it provides a platform for both sides.

I suggest you use the European Union forum for all your Lisbon treaty needs and ignore the lunatic fringe lobbyists here in AH. I love them, but you have to take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

Vote wisely based on your own beliefs and not on what some stranger tells you on the internet or what someone with a vested interest tells you to vote for.

Edit: Voting yes because I'm voting yes is idiotic.

Voting no because I'm voting yes is equally as idiotic.

You have to be hard pushed to look for something wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Rather than starting a thread with little information (or crap supplied to you by American based people who will lose money if the vote doesn't go their way)
    that coupled with
    Before you ask, I'll be voting yes.
    Do not read that as an endorsement for the yes side. Read it as me making an informed decision.
    and then to top it off this

is what's wrong with that thread. It's ridiculously pro lisbon.

The great thing about boards.ie is that it provides a platform for both sides.
    "So I locked this thread and now you can't comment"

SV wrote: »
    that coupled with

and then to top it off this

is what's wrong with that thread. It's ridiculously pro lisbon.

"So I locked this thread and now you can't comment in AH"

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

that imo is a loaded statement. if you cannot see that then i can only assume that there is a pro lisbon agenda here.

this is my only issue with the post

btw i voted yes

Leaving aside my interest as to why Lisbon has become a no go area in AH for a second.

Can anyone tell me why a simple post telling people that Lisbon was not to be discussed and a link to the european forum as a place for people to take it instead would not have sufficed? Then this argument would never have existed.

Though, again, I don't see the issue. Politics has been discussed as far back as I can remember in AH. What's so different here?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    How would anyone know that?
    More to the point, what difference does it make?

I wouldn't know, I have not been following posters enough to know which way they will vote.
    I expect that would be the same for 99% of users on this site.

I don't know, but I'd assume that the fact that Terry said he'd be voting yes would cause those who share his stance to agree with him and thank the post.

It doesn't matter that it gets thanked, if it was simply a mod warning about not bringing up the issue of Lisbon on the forum, it's the fact that the post contained his own personal view while at the same time scuppering any counter argument.

This line in particular is mildly insulting -
    So before you go starting a thread on whether you should vote yes or no (If you're asking people on the internet how you should vote, then you really need to hand in your polling card. Seriously. If you can't decide for yourself (or if daddy tells you how to vote)), then you really shouldn't be allowed to vote.

it infers that people reading the thread have in fact asked what they should vote for, I haven't seen one thread where anyone has asked "Should I vote Yes or No?"

Anyway, if it's gonna be left there so be it.

I don't think it belongs in AH, it's nothing against Terry or his opinion.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Leaving aside my interest as to why Lisbon has become a no go area in AH for a second.

Can anyone tell me why a simple post telling people that Lisbon was not to be discussed and a link to the european forum as a place for people to take it instead would not have sufficed? Then this argument would never have existed.

Though, again, I don't see the issue. Politics has been discussed as far back as I can remember in AH. What's so different here?

We've simply decided that the EU forum is the best place for this type of discussion and have pointed posters there. We take all topics on a case by case basis. In this case the discussion is more suited to the EU forum.

We've simply decided that the EU forum is the best place for this type of discussion and have pointed posters there. We take all topics on a case by case basis. In this case the discussion is more suited to the EU forum.

That's fair enough. I might disagree but I can respect that decision.
    Though I still think Terry's post should have been brief, stuck to the point and kept the mod hat on imo. It would be the safest option when trying to stay impartial. Instead he has left his statement open to ,at best, being mis-read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Since when is After Hours the political resource for the Irish people? There is already an EU and politics forum. Politics dont belong in AH so Terry's sticky was a good idea.

While it could be argued that he shouldnt have mentioned he is voting yes, Terry is hardly representing the admins, mod community, After Hours users and/or anyone else for that matter by stating his opinion in the post. I wouldnt have done it myself, but i didnt read anything into it other than his own opinion. AH is hardly Prime Time. Is any thread in AH ever impartial?

Really growing tired of this tippy toeing around the Lisbon treaty. No matter what way you are voting for Lisbon, the message that all parties, no matter what side they sit on, should be read the facts before voting. As the surveys showed from Lisbon 1, one of the main reasons people voted no was because they didnt understand what they were voting for. Lies are been spun by both camps in this referendum.

Now can we get back to talking about normal stuff like Debs and Condoms, beans on toast and dodgy taxi drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Some/Most/All of the people that thanked the post are pro-Lisbon. If it was worded differently the anti-Lisbon crowd would be thanking it, and it would still be in the wrong forum.

I personally do not intend on voting yes and I thanked the post. To assume we are sheep following Terry is a bit much. I thanked the post because it tells people not to ask how to vote and also to make their own informed choice.

your second statment is the loaded one, presuming people who dont read or dont know the treaty will be no voters. Feedback is not the place for a comment like that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness if Terry hadn't said which way he was voting, this thread would be a complaint about how he should of made it clear what way he was voting. You just can't win sometimes.

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness if Terry hadn't said which way he was voting, this thread would be a complaint about how he should of made it clear what way he was voting. You just can't win sometimes.

How do you figure (That's the polite version of what I typed)? The thread wasn't a discussion it was making posters aware of the rules re: Lisbon and AH. Given that point surely all that was needed is the rules.

Splinter wrote: »
    your second statment is the loaded one, presuming people who dont read or dont know the treaty will be no voters. Feedback is not the place for a comment like that

I already said I was being sarcastic with that statement.

Terry's post was about telling people to read up on it, an assumption that people would not read up on it. And since Terry read up on it he will be voting Yes.. implying that those who vote No, didn't

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How do you figure (That's the polite version of what I typed)? The thread wasn't a discussion it was making posters aware of the rules re: Lisbon and AH. Given that point surely all that was needed is the rules.
    It wasn't about the rules at all. It was telling people to inform themselves before they vote.

Terry's post was about telling people to read up on it, an assumption that people would not read up on it. And since Terry read up on it he will be voting Yes.. implying that those who vote No, didn't

Terry never meant in any way to make that implication. Of that I am certain. If you are reading that into it then that is a stretch tbh particularly considering the post as a whole.

That's only what you read from it. I see him stating that he has read up on the subject and has made a decision based on the information given to him. He then says (many times) that you should make up your own mind.

Terry never meant in any way to make that implication. Of that I am certain. If you are reading that into it then that is a stretch tbh particularly considering the post as a whole.
    That's only what you read from it. I see him stating that he has read up on the subject and has made a decision based on the information given to him. He then says (many times) that you should make up your own mind.

Fair enough, maybe I did read too much into it.

The original point I made is still perfectly cromulent though =p

It's more of a political thread than an advisory by a mod not to post about Lisbon in the forum

It wasn't about the rules at all. It was telling people to inform themselves before they vote.

It was somewhat about the rules. The question that leaves then is how is people's education about Lisbon relevant to AH, especially while telling us AH is not the place to discuss Lisbon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Jumpy wrote: »
    Im undecided, but why are all the hardcore Lisbon Loonies™ on the No side?

I don't know but honestly, I'd like a couple of lunatic Yes campaigners on the European Union forum so I could ban them for a change. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement