Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking rents - stubborn?!

Options
  • 04-09-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

I've been looking to rent a 2 bed apartment recently but landlords seem to be very stubborn, even when the basic maths does not add up.

For example a letting agent had the apartment asking on DAFT for €1,100 (in line with other asking prices) and I offer €1,000 (and will sign a 1 year lease) but say I can move in immediately. Letting agent corresponds with landlord who then says no they want €1,100 and proceeds to leave the property on the market.....

Even through the apartment has been vacent already for 4 weeks and likely to be for at least another 4 they won't accept a €100 reduction.

This just seems mad to me and does not make any economic sense...

Are many others finding this? Don't really mind as every month I wait rents seem to be dropping, it just gets very frustrating :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Same thing happened to me a good while ago. I went direct through the landlord and the prices dropped by 300 a month.
    Chances are that the estate agents arent even talking to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What way are letting agents paid? Surely it's better for them the apartment is occupied and they're getting some money in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

There entitled to charge what they want and your entitled to either accept or refuse that.

If they fill the apartment for the asking price within the next 7 weeks how does it make no economic sense ? Its called taking a position people do it on the stock market all the time.

Some times they make money out of it other times they dont but thats their perogitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

What I don't understand are the places that have not shifted after a month that then go on to increase their prices (higher than those in the area). The rationale must be the expectation that people will put in a lower offer so that will enable them to achieve their price , but when the price is already higher than the market rates...

While the landlord is entitled to charge what they want, sacrificing €1200 for a quick rent (with good tenants) versus €2200/3300 for the possibility of shifting it in 2 months or longer (if it is not priced competitively) would be mad.

Advertisement