Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help spec a rig for labs (MCSE etc)

Options
  • 04-09-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a new or high spec second hand PC to assist me with my cert lab work, for mobility I guess I would prefer a laptop, but I only have a budget of 500 to include a screen (minimum 21') I think.

I'm looking to purchase this in the next two weeks, and would be able to do a self build, but would prefer an out of box pre built system due to time restraints.

Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ok, then what are everything it's gonna be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Including a 21" screen is going to be the killer for you..

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4X22004&l=en&m_30=138820&oc=D092218&rbc=D092218&s=bsd

That's a basic spec Dell Vostro desktop, comes with a 21" screen for around 480. Looks pretty decent if you ask me. Good Core2Duo,3GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD.

The only thing I'm not sure of for this is the fact this comes form the company section of the site, I have no clue if dell require confirmation that the box is going to a business or if they only take bulk orders of machines. Only one way to find out though!(And I'm too lazy to check the site myself for an answer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Its going to be used mainly for vmware work, with server apps etc loaded. probably a couple of instances of various differnt linux distros also might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

The only thing I'm not sure of for this is the fact this comes form the company section of the site, I have no clue if dell require confirmation that the box is going to a business or if they only take bulk orders of machines. Only one way to find out though!(And I'm too lazy to check the site myself for an answer).

Its compnay section means like it says "VAT & Shipping NOT included"..

Your going to incredibly well to get what your looking for "High Spec" with a 21" screen for under €500, i mean that one from dell has integrated graphics.
    Its going to be used mainly for vmware work, with server apps etc loaded. probably a couple of instances of various differnt linux distros also might as well.

Well then man, unless you want a spanking new one, i would recomend adverts as probably your best bet

Dont mind going to a 19in screen if it means I get a good spec PC. Would marx computers or similar offer decent spec PCs. Anything on adverts in particular ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Dont mind going to a 19in screen if it means I get a good spec PC. Would marx computers or similar offer decent spec PCs. Anything on adverts in particular ?

Nothing on adverts in particular but like here is one on adverts. Only €300
    Spec isnt anything fantastic

Intel Core2Duo E6300, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 80GB HDD, X300 graphics card, onboard sound, Gigabit Ethernet, Windows XP pro original...
    17" TFT Flatscreen, USB keyboard and optical mouse

and i know the screen is only a 17" but sure you could shift it on, this one similar went for €40 €30

Here is another €425.00

Alright Spec
    Comes with 19" LCD Monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse

Dell Dimension E521
    2.0GB DDR2 RAM
    2.4GHz Athlon Dual Core
    2 x 160GB HDD @ 7200rpm
    DVDROM DVD-RW
    Nvidia 7300 256mb
    Onboard 7.1 audio
    DVI - Out
    Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Vista Home Premium

Looks good alright, see its in limerick thou. couldnt collect something that far away. Thanks !

would this do the trick looks ok to me..

http://adverts.ie/142448

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

massy086 wrote: »
    hard budget but here goes remember all new with warranty something you wont get on adverts
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Hard with the budget!
    Here it goes, remember all the parts are new and with warranty.
    Something you wont get on adverts....

I didn't get it first time either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Either you want a decent spec new PC/laptop and use VMWare or MS Virtual PC software or a couple of older machines.

Checkout eBay.ie you could pickup 2-3 cheap PC's (if you can pick them up yourself) for 250euro and have 250euro left for your monitor and a KVM switch? You really don't need much in the way of CPU power memory or HDD space (any P4 or AMD Athlon XP with 512MB RAM and 40GB HDD will run the M$ stuff you need for training).

New 64Bit hardware would be nice but apart from running a production Exchange 2007 you can easily do without (the official MS training uses a 32Bit training version of Exchange 2007).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Shame about the "two week" bit. You could have got a fast 3GHz AM3 quad system pre-built and shipped from HWVS with a cheap 22" monitor for ~€500...

Solitaire wrote: »
    Shame about the "two week" bit. You could have got a fast 3GHz AM3 quad system pre-built and shipped from HWVS with a cheap 22" monitor for ~€500...

Well the two weeks is the time frame but could be longer, whats HWVS.

Solitaire wrote: »

Could you link this system , as it sounds great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry, I'm being a tit :o Forgot the OS, and the CPU I was eyeing up has gone out of stock anyway! :rolleyes:

Advertisement