Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting an offer on a house

Options
  • 04-09-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All,

We were looking at a house a couple of months ago that had been on the market over a year (be coming up to nearly 2 years in the market now).
    The orig. asking was 475 which was reduced to 395 in June.
    We really love the house but there's no way we'd be able/willing to pay that much.

We're going to go with an offer of 300 with the possibility of going to 310/315.
    I'm just wondering do you think there's much change of them accepting? The EA said there's bee little interest in the house but the owners (who have the house as a second property) want to sell and he also said the asking price is "loosely" based on 400.
    I personally think that for the time it's been on the market the price should be a fair bit lower by now??!!

Just a bit about the house it's a 5bed detached in a small estate in the south east of the country. It's about 8 years old. It has a nice big garden, utility room, conservatory. Nicely finished inside so not really any work to be done to it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi All,

We were looking at a house a couple of months ago that had been on the market over a year (be coming up to nearly 2 years in the market now).
    The orig. asking was 475 which was reduced to 395 in June.
    We really love the house but there's no way we'd be able/willing to pay that much.

Theres no harm in going in with a 300k offer. whats the worst that can happen ? they reject it and you use your 15k contingency to play bargain with.

if you dont get it you dont get it simple as.

On a seperate note can you explain to me why you were looking at a house for 475k 2 years ago when you cant even afford 395 ? I really cant understand why somebody would do this.

Just curious thats all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I didn't say i was looking at it when it was that price, i said it was that price originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

guideanna wrote: »
    I didn't say i was looking at it when it was that price, i said it was that price originally.

ok thanks i was just wondering :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

D3PO wrote: »
    Theres no harm in going in with a 300k offer. whats the worst that can happen ? they reject it and you use your 15k contingency to play bargain with.

if you dont get it you dont get it simple as.

+1 go for it and put in your offer of 300k.

Sounds like the EA is spoon feeding you a bit to put in any offer. If you've been told there's little interest and that the owners already own a second home and want to get rid then I'd take it as a sign to get moving with an offer!

Best of luck

Advertisement