Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation between rafters & between joists

• 04-09-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am doing a provisional BER on a house where insulation is being placed between the ceiling joists & also between the pitched roof rafters.

How do you allow for this?

Including both layers of insulation does not take into account the unused attic space and gives a ridicuosly low u-value for the roof.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

d18doyle wrote: »
    I am doing a provisional BER on a house where insulation is being placed between the ceiling joists & also between the pitched roof rafters.

You as their BER Assessor should be advising them against this. Who told them to insulate the cold roof pitches:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 d18doyle

Chimpster wrote: »
    You as their BER Assessor should be advising them against this. Have done, they chose to do it anyway Who told them to insulate the cold roof pitches:confused:? Nobody, it's just seems like a good idea to them

Anyone got a constructive answer to the original question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

disregard the rafter insulation

do an Ru adjustment of the ceiling insulation taking account of the un heated attic space

then simply report the non compliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

sinnerboy wrote: »
    disregard the rafter insulation

do an Ru adjustment of the ceiling insulation taking account of the un heated attic space

then simply report the non compliance

This is right in my opinion. As the attic has to be ventilated the insulation between the rafters is of no benifit at all so disregard all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 d18doyle

Thanks for the answers Topcatcbr & Sinnerboy - advice taken!

• Advertisement
Advertisement