Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boosting wireless signal on xbox?

• 04-09-2009 2:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ive had to move my xbox in the hosue and unfortunately I can no longer pick up wireless broadband on the console using the wireless adaptor and unfortunately running an ethernet cable to the router isnt an option as the console is too far from the router.

Are there any other solutions I can utilise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

It seems like the router you have is a G router, i think the xbox box adapter picks up A, B and G but not N. G has the weakest signal of the lot, you could get a new router. Or you could get a usb cable extender and run the xbox adapter closer to the source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

My router is downatairs and my xbox is upstairs so i just bought a 15m ethernet cable and ran it up the stairs and into my room. It doesn't look great but my connection is sensational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

steve_ wrote: »
    It seems like the router you have is a G router, i think the xbox box adapter picks up A, B and G but not N. G has the weakest signal of the lot, you could get a new router. Or you could get a usb cable extender and run the xbox adapter closer to the source.

Not exactly true. B and G work on 2.4Ghz which is most congested (bluetooth, baby monitors, almost every radio device in house), while A works on 5Ghz, but signal gets very weak going through any obstacles, walls etc.

USB cable extender length can be only up to 5m (to the USB specification) but I would say it won't work at all. I would recomend getting either cat5 cable or some power line adaptors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

steve_ wrote: »

Really? Not N? Damn I just bought an N router last week :(

Most router can be changed to suit your needs, it should be able to be configured to have a mix of N, G & B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

i have a n router a linksys by cisco and it works great with the xbox. the signal is brilliant with it, it reaches my room through 7 walls and its 40 feet away i get a 3 bar connection with it.

i got the Dlink dgl 4500 router. Its great it can detect when your playing games and gives you optimal speeds regardless of who else is on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

think of a way to use a cable

move the router

place a repeater between the 360 and router can get them for €20

Advertisement