Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE GUIDELINES!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    I REALLY want to see a bullpup with a folding or telescopic stock; that'd be some piece of engineering. :rolleyes:

And what's a "semi-automatic centrefire calibre" what it's at home?
    All of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    I don't see how - 'your GP' is the last Doctor you saw.
    No, he's the doctor you regularly see as your primary care physician.
    Otherwise, 'your GP' would bounce from being a family GP to an ER junior doctor to being a walk-in clinic doctor.
    The whole point of the GP is that it's someone who has access to your medical records. There is no such person for me, because I've never built up medical records anywhere and there's no national medical database thingy (excuse the technical jargon) that they could all use to collate disparate records taken on everything from post-it notes to backs of envelopes to index cards to access database records.

I was not insulting anyone - I'm ripping you - personally - a new one for being an ass.
    Okay so. Take the weekend off. See you monday. Or whenever.
    I am just sick and tired of people banging the Olympic Drum - it is just a feckin match the same as the Fermoy International or the IPSC World Shoot or a Club match in Wilkinstown.
    Nope, it's not. It's not even in the same ballpark.
    and what do you do..........
    Say that they would not be allowed in the Olympics.
    Which is a criticism of the Commissioner and the list idea as a whole. Which is fairly consistent.

Sparks wrote: »
    No, he's the doctor you regularly see as your primary care physician.
    Otherwise, 'your GP' would bounce from being a family GP to an ER junior doctor to being a walk-in clinic doctor.
    The whole point of the GP is that it's someone who has access to your medical records. There is no such person for me, because I've never built up medical records anywhere and there's no national medical database thingy (excuse the technical jargon) that they could all use to collate disparate records taken on everything from post-it notes to backs of envelopes to index cards to access database records.
    They've actually started one of those. It's in a trial phase in a couple of smaller towns and I think the dB is in City West somewhere. I was involved at the early stages with the HSE and that was an experience in how to do things wrong I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Folks,
    Please stop ripping one another about the content of the "Olympic" list. ;)
    As far as it goes it allows the most commonly used .22 pistols to continue in competition. Debating which pistols could/would be used in the Olympics is counter-productive and damages what's left of pistol shooting in the country. ISSF shooting has its rules as to barrel length, sight radius, trigger weight etc. and those rules will be applied to official ISSF competitions - ok;)
    Otherwise, enjoy .22 pistol competitions with a guideline list which is more extensive than the one expected:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is probably a good thing that the list is that extensive, I would like to get back into pistol shooting but with the furore over centrefire and the high cost of ammo I am glad I waited.
    This way at least Joe average can try pistol without having to mortgage his house for ammo and pistol.
    Cheap shooting means more rounds downrange and (should) lead to better accuracy, in the long run we might find some more people that are good enough to shoot in the Olympics simply by virtue of more people getting into shooting pistol.
    I know it's coming up to the full moon but the carry-on here is rediculous.:rolleyes:

now who sells Buckmarks here, anyone?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It is probably a good thing that the list is that extensive, I would like to get back into pistol shooting but with the furore over centrefire and the high cost of ammo I am glad I waited.
    This way at least Joe average can try pistol without having to mortgage his house for ammo and pistol.
    Cheap shooting means more rounds downrange and (should) lead to better accuracy, in the long run we might find some more people that are good enough to shoot in the Olympics simply by virtue of more people getting into shooting pistol.
    I know it's coming up to the full moon but the carry-on here is rediculous.:rolleyes:

now who sells Buckmarks here, anyone?
    Could I just put in a word for the ignored and dismissed air pistol? More than anything else, it is the best and cheapest way to learn pistol shooting.

You don't even need a big range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rrpc wrote: »
    Could I just put in a word for the ignored and dismissed air pistol? More than anything else, it is the best and cheapest way to learn pistol shooting.

I know, I had a nice 8" barrel Gamo that I knocked great fun out of, but that was in another life.

Now the List is amended to includet he Firearms that ARE used most in IRELAND for target shooing

and what do you do..........

Say that they would not be allowed in the Olympics.

The Commissioner's Guidelines head up the list as follows:

ANNEX F: SUITABLE OLYMPIC STANDARD PISTOLS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

pedroeibar wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any mention anywhere of "right of entry" to inspect safe/locks/doors. It will be interesting to see how many homes are inspected.......
    I intend bringing my safe key with me when going to the station with completed forms to show that I have a safe. Hopefully that will be sufficient.
    P.

I'm sure they don't need "right of entry".

I'm sure the onus is on you to prove, or provide evidence. If you refuse to allow them inspect your premises you have failed to prove you have suitable storage facilities. Doesn't matter if you really live in Fort Knox, if you can't prove to the Garda's satisfaction, you're out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Could we maybe clean up this thread and start a different one for the arguing please as this is all rather important.

I got two questions.

1. If you apply for a rifle, say a .223, good reason being shooting foxes to protect lambs and fowl. You don't have a moderator for that rifle but you tick on the same application form as the rifle that you are also applying for a moderator. The question is this, if the silencer is refused, will the rifle also be refused given it's the same application?

2. I have three firearms. If I apply and am granted a .22lr rimfire moderator and a .223 centrefire moderator, will the addition to my cabinet of two moderators now move me up a category in the security stakes?

Thanks very much :)

johngalway wrote: »
    1. If you apply for a rifle, say a .223, good reason being shooting foxes to protect lambs and fowl. You don't have a moderator for that rifle but you tick on the same application form as the rifle that you are also applying for a moderator. The question is this, if the silencer is refused, will the rifle also be refused given it's the same application?
    Odds are, you'd just get told to fill out the form again (rather than a refusal, which would be something else).
    2. I have three firearms. If I apply and am granted a .22lr rimfire moderator and a .223 centrefire moderator, will the addition to my cabinet of two moderators now move me up a category in the security stakes?
    If you get a licence for them; yes. If you just get an authorisation for them (ie. the letter from the Super that 99% of people get) then no - the number of firearms counted when deciding the minimum security level is the number of firearms you have a licence for, it doesn't include those on an authorisation.

Odds are, you'd just get told to fill out the form again (rather than a refusal, which would be something else).
    If you get a licence for them; yes. If you just get an authorisation for them (ie. the letter from the Super that 99% of people get) then no - the number of firearms counted when deciding the minimum security level is the number of firearms you have a licence for, it doesn't include those on an authorisation.
    There are no authorisations for them anymore (there never really was any defined method of handling them under the firearms acts) they now come as an addendum to your licence, so you'd never see them counted as seperate firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sam I Am

Maybe this is a silly question. I've tried to wade through the Act :(
    Is it an offence to discharge a target rifle or pistol (I'm talking air rifle or pistol, but suspect it doesn't matter) not on a range?

Given that you don't need a big range and in theory it could be possible to train indoors on your own property. For those of us that live over 100 miles away from 10m facilities and would like to be able to train a couple of times a week rather than once a month if we're lucky.

Given that the decision on air pistol certs is reverting to the same Super that issued licences previously (in each district). And my local Garda told me the local Super was totally anti pistol cert issuing 18 months ago, I guess there isn't much point in me trying to get one now either! :(

There are no authorisations for them anymore (there never really was any defined method of handling them under the firearms acts) they now come as an addendum to your licence, so you'd never see them counted as seperate firearms.
    Where are you reading that?

Where are you reading that?
    On the form.

It's a tick box on the form which means its a tick box on the licence. You won't get a seperate licence for it.

I made that last bit up myself :)

But I bet I'm right to the same degree of certainty that said 4'ish of a Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sam I Am wrote: »
    Is it an offence to discharge a target rifle or pistol (I'm talking air rifle or pistol, but suspect it doesn't matter) not on a range?

Given that you don't need a big range and in theory it could be possible to train indoors on your own property. For those of us that live over 100 miles away from 10m facilities and would like to be able to train a couple of times a week rather than once a month if we're lucky.

Given that the decision on air pistol certs is reverting to the same Super that issued licences previously (in each district). And my local Garda told me the local Super was totally anti pistol cert issuing 18 months ago, I guess there isn't much point in me trying to get one now either! :(

i think it might be true , which is daft as i and a lot of people i know use ordinary sporter rifles for silhoulette shooting and to bash bunnys and vermin , if the licence was granted for target use then i think it is an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

On the form.

It's a tick box on the form which means its a tick box on the licence. You won't get a seperate licence for it.

I made that last bit up myself :)

But I bet I'm right to the same degree of certainty that said 4'ish of a Friday :D

:eek:

It's Dermot Ahearn, it's Dernot Ahearn!

:D

Cheers for the clarification guys :)

On the form.
    Well, I see where you're coming from, it's just that the guidelines talk about applying seperately for one at the bottom of Annex D:
    When an applicant is applying for a firearm certificate, the application should include whether or not a silencer is being sought for that particular firearm. A subsequent application for a silencer will require the applicant to re apply on a new application form FCA1 and will require the full €80 fee.
    Plus, these are just guidelines, they can't overrule the Act, the SIs, or a Super who wants to do something other than what's in them.
    So if the Super writes you an authorisation, it's all above board and legal; unlike, say, if he'd written you an authorisation for a .223 silencer after the first restricted firearms SI was issued.

Well, I see where you're coming from, it's just that the guidelines talk about applying seperately for one at the bottom of Annex D:
    As you say though, they're just guidelines. But assuming it's the correct way to go about applying for a silencer in mid stream, surely at the next renewal, it's back to the tick box and presumably the same on the licence.

Of all the parts of the new legislation, this would be one of the most elegant solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

This is speculation but to me it makes sense. Bear with me. An authorisation to have a mod is supposed to be in writing and usually took the form of a letter in addition to your cert. The new 'plastic credit card sized' licence will have on it whether or not you have permission for a mod. If you apply for both at the same time and they are granted all is well. If you apply and get the gun but not the mod that's too bad but again all is fine. Now, if you fail to apply for the mod at application time and decide to apply for it later after your cert has been issued then no changes can be made to the new licence so you have to scrap it and than means a new fee. Maybe we'll know for sure when these guidelines come out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

+1 as well

some good stuff, at least now we all have a level playing field...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

there are some hard to swallow points in the pistol list , for instance the s&w 617 10 shot revolver is on there but many 6 shot revolvers aren't and none of them are olympic pistols i would think, ditto the semi auto pistols the buckmark and ruger mk 1,2, and 3 are ten shot and are on there when many others are not ,

rowa wrote: »
    there are some hard to swallow points in the pistol list , for instance the s&w 617 10 shot revolver is on there but many 6 shot revolvers aren't and none of them are olympic pistols i would think, ditto the semi auto pistols the buckmark and ruger mk 1,2, and 3 are ten shot and are on there when many others are not ,
    This is always the difficulty with a list system. It's not a great idea as Sparks said and leads to all kinds of unfairnesses.

High on the list of things it could lead to is court cases from disgruntled manufacturers of pistols demanding that their product be put on the list. :eek:

BornToKill wrote: »
    Now, if you fail to apply for the mod at application time and decide to apply for it later after your cert has been issued then no changes can be made to the new licence so you have to scrap it and than means a new fee. Maybe we'll know for sure when these guidelines come out ...
    I would think that you would end up with two licences until you renewed your rifle licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Quote [Sparks] Again, I'm still stuffed. I have no GP so I can't fill out Section 2.2; I can't leave it blank; and I can't lie or fake it or give "misleading information" on pain of imprisonment.

Sparks I don't know if you noticed there is no (M) in the GP details so is it or is it not Mandatory/Obligatory/Compulsory.

Small joke, there's no F in toffee, so who has all the toffee.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A few intresting points.
    No mention of restricted ammo IE shotgun slugs.No who ,what, when, where or why they may be used.:confused:

Clanger on the big game calibres,they have 300Win down as a big game calibre.Smaller than the .308,which is a max calibre...So is the 300Win Mag suddenly now more dangerous????

Finally nailed their colors on the practical shooting,which leaves it wide open to a good solicitor to drive a fleet of trucks thru it.Defining it as combat or stimulated combat training with firearms.Which IPSC was never about.This hasnt gone away you know.:p

No "good reason" given why semi auto rifles are "more dangerous" than normal rifles.Does this also mean that rifles like the Steyr SSG police model or the Remington M20 police model,or Sako TRG are more dangerous than their wood stocked brothers???After all they are now in the defination of tactical/military/ police???Also I would like to see somone shoot clays with a semi rifle.According to the guidelines.:)

Also on the point,there are VERY FEW bolt action rifles in LEFT HANDED configuration.There a good few rifles in semi that are easily converted to left hand shooting.So it is a pertinent point to be noted as well.If you are a Lefty that is.:) Not much mention of lever or pump action rifles either.
    And WTF is a semiauto calibre,or a folding stock bullpup rifle??:eek:

Ditto this nonsense of a prominent pistol grip on shotguns.May I draw everyones attention to the following.there are certain DTL trap guns based on the Remington1100/1187 that DO have a prominent unconvential pistol grip,and belive it or not, they do shoot very well.So just cevat emptor on that one.Also on pumps,replacing the slide,with a vertical grip does improve shooting speed on clays,for some big handed people like me,some fwdconventional grips are not an option.
    Hmmm,so now a Remington 1187,etc because it has a pistol gripped straight stock,24in barrel and a mag extension,and a different finish[usually uglier] and the words" police" or "tactical" hung on the end is now suddenly more dangerous that its civillin cousin with the wooden stock, better finish ,24in barrel,and mag extension and the words "deer slayer" hung on its end???
    Looooonnnneeeeyyyyy!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sam I Am wrote: »
    No it's not. There's nothing in the law that says you can't use your firearm for another purpose (for example a .22 target rifle for bunny bashing) or a CZ sporting rifle on a range.
    You need to look at the definition of a range in the draft ranges SI, if you can't find it, here's a quote: ""shooting range" means a place at which the discharge of firearms takes place for the purpose of target practice or target shooting," There is a formal element to that definition that implies more than one person and a dedicated place.

Put it this way, I'd make sure it wasn't a permanent set up and wouldn't start having matches there, but on an informal basis especially with airguns, I can't see a major problem. There isn't an airgun range spec in the draft anyway, so it may not come into the equation in any case.
    And my local Garda told me the local Super was totally anti pistol cert issuing 18 months ago, I guess there isn't much point in me trying to get one now either! :(
    Whyever not? Unless you're a disentitled person, the Super's foibles aren't catered for in the Firearms Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Sikamick wrote: »
    Quote [Sparks]I don't know if you noticed there is no (M) in the GP details so is it or is it not Mandatory/Obligatory/Compulsory.

It's mandatory all right irregarless of there being an M on the form. Section 4(3) of the Firearms Acts reads:

'An applicant for a firearm certificate shall supply to the issuing person the information requested in the application form and such further information as the issuing person may require in the performance of the person’s functions under this Act, including, in particular—

(a) proof of identity,

(b) proof of competence in the use of the firearm concerned,

(c) written consent for any enquiries in relation to the applicant’s medical history that may be made from a health professional by or on behalf of the issuing person, and

(d) names and addresses of two referees who may be contacted to attest to the applicant’s character.'

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Finally nailed their colors on the practical shooting,which leaves it wide open to a good solicitor to drive a fleet of trucks thru it.Defining it as combat or stimulated combat training with firearms.Which IPSC was never about.This hasnt gone away you know.:p
    That was in the Act Grizzly, it's in section 33 (the very last subsection if I remember correctly) and the IPSC constitution says: "Courses of Fire must follow a practical rationale, and simulate sensible hypothetical situations in which firearms might reasonably be used." so I'm not sure how much traction a solicitor would have with that.
    And WTF is a semiauto calibre,or a folding stock bullpup rifle??:eek:
    Well it says semi-automatic centrefire calibres which is correct as all centrefire semi-autos are restricted. It's just written a bit bass-ackwards. ;)

Advertisement