Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

major problem with new vista laptop and wireless router. help needed

Options
  • 04-09-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I just bought a new hp dv6-1210sa laptop which uses windows vista. On the wireless network we have at home there is one laptop one desktop an ipod touch and a phone connected to it. But when i go to connect my new laptop it sees that the network it there but it will not connect. I can connect the laptop to the internet via cable but this is useless as the whole point ov a laptop is to be able to use it anywhere around the house. I have tried changing the router channel security settings name and other settings. I have tried resetting the router. I have turned off firewalls in vista. Nothing is working. Please healp me. I know my way around a computer and this is so frustrating. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

daveharr23 wrote: »
    I just bought a new hp dv6-1210sa laptop which uses windows vista. On the wireless network we have at home there is one laptop one desktop an ipod touch and a phone connected to it. But when i go to connect my new laptop it sees that the network it there but it will not connect. I can connect the laptop to the internet via cable but this is useless as the whole point ov a laptop is to be able to use it anywhere around the house. I have tried changing the router channel security settings name and other settings. I have tried resetting the router. I have turned off firewalls in vista. Nothing is working. Please healp me. I know my way around a computer and this is so frustrating. Thanks.
    When you try connect and it fails, click at the bottom where it says "diagnose why Windows can't connect". Post the results.

wnsetup14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daveharr23

i got two diff results, first was it said thre was no response from the router or access point, seconds was when i manually set up the connection and it saod the network was hidden. both problems dont make sense as i am right next to the router with full siglan and the second cos i know fact the router is set to display the ssid

I currently have the laptop plugged into the router, but even using hp's setup wizard to try using the cable set up to start a wireless connection won't work. hp does not seem to support my router. and to answer the last request, that screen does not come up for me, all it says is dignose the problem which leads itno a troubleshooter for low sigal, which as i said is no problem because i am right next to the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rimmer

Uninstall and reinstall? System Restore and install again?

Never let a machine know that you are in a hurry.

I haven't installed anything. I shouldn't need to install anything just to connect to a stupid router. But i didn't get a vista dick with the laptop it came already to go, so i dont have that luxuary of uninstalling the os...

• Advertisement

<expletive deleted> You don't have to re-install windows just go to Accessories then System Restore. Choose a date before you used the device and then when the System Restore is finished, re-install the device. Carefully this time. You'll never learn anything if you let the blood go to your head. I can't find a smilie for barrack square.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The laptop is brand new though so I cant imagine a system restore would do too much. Nothing has been installed/removed. It's only a case of connecting to a network!

I only took the laptop out of its bag yesterday and trying to connect it to my network was the first thing i tried to do..

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    The laptop is brand new though so I cant imagine a system restore would do too much. Nothing has been installed/removed. It's only a case of connecting to a network!

HOW are you trying to connect it to the network? Are you using a radio device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

If it's a wireless network you are failing to connect to, and it's because the laptop cannot see the network, it may be because the network is using too high a channel.

This happened me after I bought a laptop in the states, the router at home was broadcasting on channel 12 but the american laptop could only work up as far as channel 11. Changing the channel in the router configuration (usually a web interface) helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is dhcp configured on the laptop? Any chance of trying the laptop in another wireless location to see if it accesses the network there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Is it an Eircon router? If so the network may be hidden by default on the router. Try a direct cable connection to the router (run 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.2 and so on in explorer <check it on your working wired pc to find the IP of the router>) and change the settings or; run the network setup disk as provided by your ISP. This does sound like a hidden network issue.
    I currently have the laptop plugged into the router, but even using hp's setup wizard to try using the cable set up to start a wireless connection won't work. hp does not seem to support my router. and to answer the last request, that screen does not come up for me, all it says is dignose the problem which leads itno a troubleshooter for low sigal, which as i said is no problem because i am right next to the router.

TJJP wrote: »
    Is it an Eircon router? If so the network may be hidden by default on the router. Try a direct cable connection to the router (run 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.2 and so on in explorer <check it on your working wired pc to find the IP of the router>) and change the settings or; run the network setup disk as provided by your ISP. This does sound like a hidden network issue.

This is not a hidden network issue:
    But when i go to connect my new laptop it sees that the network it there but it will not connect.

By the way the usual address for an Eircom router is http://192.168.1.254.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

dub45 wrote: »
    This is not a hidden network issue:

Cool; do fill us in when you work it out.

By the way the usual address for an Eircom router is http://192.168.1.254.

Cool; I don't keep them all in my head.

I don't want to seem like I'm saying ye're all wrong, but i have tried all of those ideas, my laptop will see that there is a wireless connection there it just wont connect. I've also changed the channel from 11 to 4,6,12,13 and even one. none worked. In the process of trying to get this to work I've killed the wireless network on the other laptop in the house. I also know the wireless is working because when I took it back to the shop they showed me it working with their wireless to prove its not the laptop, a part of me wishes it was the laptop because two days later and i still have no wireless. And our broadband provider is...vodafone, terrible i know but i had no conttroll over it. Vodafone are the only people i have yet to call about it. my router is a netgear dg834g v3. i really appreciate all the help so far and REALLY hope someone can find the solution to my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

No point in calling Vodafone. It's not their problem.

Have you tried turning off encryption on the router?

Have you checked DHCP settings in the router?

You say the laptop reported a hidden network? Conflicting info here but just check in the router that the SSID is no hidden. To be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 labarmand

Hi daveharr23.

It seems like you have tried alot of things and you have gotten alot of advice but I dont see anywhere on this discussion whether you know 100% its your laptop or your router?
    Thats what you need to do first and then let us know. You could get advice all day but it might not get you anywhere.
    I had a similar problem to this before and I had to reinstall the router firmware.
    However, can you bring your laptopt to someones house or a cafe and make sure 100% that the laptop is ok.
    Then, try to get someones laptop to your house and check your wifi is working.
    After that we can get some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Check your taskbar for any HP connectivity software for either wireless or Lan, go to control panel> programs and features> and uninstall it. Reboot the laptop, scan for wireless network using the built in windows version and enter either wpa or wep key and try that.

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

labarmand wrote: »
    Hi daveharr23.

It seems like you have tried alot of things and you have gotten alot of advice but I dont see anywhere on this discussion whether you know 100% its your laptop or your router?
    Thats what you need to do first and then let us know. You could get advice all day but it might not get you anywhere.
    I had a similar problem to this before and I had to reinstall the router firmware.
    However, can you bring your laptopt to someones house or a cafe and make sure 100% that the laptop is ok.
    Then, try to get someones laptop to your house and check your wifi is working.
    After that we can get some answers.

Labarmand, he's stated that he brought to laptop back to the shop and it worked ok.

He has other devices working on the network inc. a laptop.

Fuzzy clam please don't laugh at me, but what is DHCP? I know that in conflicting info but when i tried to force it to connect thats what it said and yes i've made sure that the SSID is on to broadcast. The only two things I have left to do that I, or anyone can think of is to call vodafone which apparently woould be useless, and to try uninstall the hp software...i also have the latest firmware for my router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

DHCP is Dynamic Host Connection Protocal, if it is setup in the router, it should allow any device using it to connect without having to be assigned an IP manually.

I would suggest that you switch off any wireless security (temporally) and then attempt to connect, if that works, then you are half way there.

I know in XP if to connect to a secured wireless network, it prompts to make a 'floppy' or other removeable media, to automatically configure other hosts.

try re-connecting your XP machine, and make the congif disk, and attempt to use this in the vista machine, and hopefully it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Check if your laptop is assigned a static IP address by default. Go to network and sharing centre. On the left side select Manage Network Connections. Right click the wireless network connection and select properties. Double clickIPv4 and make sure "obtain an IP automaticaly" is selected.

Have you by any chance got mac filtering turned on in the router?

Advertisement