Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A vote against the Lisbon Treaty is a vote against a United Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im voting yes because i feel it will benefit humanity in the long run.
    i dont agree with "its for a united ireland" or "giving up your nationality" etc bull****.

sorry but everyone is equal. nationality shouldn't exist anymore. were smart enough to realise were human, not irish or american or german etc. tear down boarder's and nationalities. united europe is a step in the right direction to a united earth.

i also think people who are trying to convince people to vote no because we already had a vote and the people have spoken etc should shut the **** up and learn something.

these sign's around the countryside saying "they died for your freedom dont throw it away etc bull is just the most pathetic thing ive seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Well the current Yes campaign seems to revolve around smiley happy models (male and female) with slogans beside them. So... no, they're playing into the comfort area again. "Look at those pictures, they're smiling, this must be a good thing."

Its like that stupid advert they show in cinemas now: "So whats this European Union thingy doing for me?"

I can honestly never say I've heard any person refer to the E.U. as a thingy. Its playing down the importance of the E.U. Why?

Well the current Yes campaign seems to revolve around smiley happy models (male and female) with slogans beside them. So... no, they're playing into the comfort area again. "Look at those pictures, they're smiling, this must be a good thing."

Its like that stupid advert they show in cinemas now: "So whats this European Union thingy doing for me?"

I can honestly never say I've heard any person refer to the E.U. as a thingy. Its playing down the importance of the E.U. Why?

the campaigning is a complete joke from both sides. completly agree with you on the campaign.

I'm sure some aspects would be fine. But humans by nature are different. Even if we were under some global umbrella we would eventually fracture again. It would all just reboot itself.

Its easy to turn around and say people are equal. But a lot of people don't see things that way I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

MrMicra wrote: »
    One of the core reasons given that an United Ireland is impossible is the inability of the republic of Ireland effectively to control the risk of terrorist attacks by loyalist paramilitarys.
    Whether or not this lack of ability is in fact true doesn't the clause above blow it out of the water.

Lisbon will allow Ireland to call on the French, Germans and Poles, for example, to assist in controlling post unification civil disturbance. It will make it possible for other member states to assist us if we need assistance.

The potential benefit for this country is far greater than the potential risk.

A vote against the Treaty is a vote for partition.
    A vote against Lisbon is treasonous.

can we put this in conspiracy theories please so i can also comment on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

i dont agree with "its for a united ireland" or "giving up your nationality" etc bull****.
    Well perhaps European humanity (the only kind that really matters :pac:)
    I've had the opinion for a long time that the concept of United Ireland is irrelevant when we have the concept of United Europe.
    sorry but everyone is equal
    Some are more equal than others though
    not irish or american or german
    Well definitely not American :pac:

I'm sure some aspects would be fine. But humans by nature are different. Even if we were under some global umbrella we would eventually fracture again. It would all just reboot itself.

Its easy to turn around and say people are equal. But a lot of people don't see things that way I'm afraid.

and the sad thing is these are the people who are going to vote no.
    these are the people who hold humanity back.
    these are the people who cause problem after problem in the world with racism and religious hate.
    Well perhaps European humanity (the only kind that really matters :pac:)
    I've had the opinion for a long time that the concept of United Ireland is irrelevant when we have the concept of United Europe.

Well definitely not American :pac:

ah now. everyone is equal regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I agree with you there.

And, no, he may have understood its contents, but he still shouldn't have said he never read it!

YEP, Far better if he had lied!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well all other leaders do it, why not our fella? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

Now that I agree with. If there is any status quo that needs to be maintained it's the one in NI.

twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A vote for the Lisbon treaty is indeed a step towards a United Ireland.

Unfortunately, it's a step towards a republic united not only with Northern Ireland, but with every other state in the EU. If we have to accept the United States of Europe in order to have a United State of Ireland, I would rather stick with the Irish government having sovereignty over 26 counties to be honest. It's better than having sovereignty over none of them.

twat

I would never presume to understand fully the situation there, nor am I saying the situation there now is ideal, but from where I am, the current situation seems to be the best NI has had in a long time.

United Ireland is only but a dream, that if sought after will lead to more violence.

This is completely off topic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MrMicra wrote: »
    A vote against Lisbon is treasonous.
    FFS, you saying that a majority of Irish voters committed treason last referendum? And may again? That there is civil war talk buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sorry but everyone is equal. nationality shouldn't exist anymore. were smart enough to realise were human, not irish or american or german etc. tear down boarder's and nationalities. united europe is a step in the right direction to a united earth.

i also think people who are trying to convince people to vote no because we already had a vote and the people have spoken etc should shut the **** up and learn something.

these sign's around the countryside saying "they died for your freedom dont throw it away etc bull is just the most pathetic thing ive seen in years.

And this is exactly why I'm voting no. No one who supports voting yes is arguing that it isn't going to diminish our sovereignty, they're arguing that our sovereignty isn't all that important.

And I believe that Irish citizens alone should make the laws which Irish citizens follow.

And this is exactly why I'm voting no. No one who supports voting yes is arguing that it isn't going to diminish our sovereignty, they're arguing that our sovereignty isn't all that important.

And I believe that Irish citizens alone should make the laws which Irish citizens follow.

At least you don't hide the fact that you don't want us in the EU.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Some of you No voters are funny. We've just run the country into the ground and we keep hearing all this bull about sovereignty. I wouldn't trust our government to run the local sweety shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

meglome wrote: »
    ... I wouldn't trust our government to run the local sweety shop.

Remember who put them there: the Irish electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

But why should we allow the EU to make laws in our country? If I'm mistaken 85% - 90% of British are made by the EU.

I for one don't want my email accounts on records and been checked.

But why should we allow the EU to make laws in our country? If I'm mistaken 85% - 90% of British are made by the EU.

I for one don't want my email accounts on records and been checked.

It's about 30/40% here, but some claim 80%.

Joe O'Reilly would agree with you on email and phone records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

Some of you No voters are funny. We've just run the country into the ground and we keep hearing all this bull about sovereignty. I wouldn't trust our government to run the local sweety shop.

you wouldn't trust them to run the sweety shop yet you're still following their orders to vote yes. somewhat hypocritical, no?

• Advertisement

you wouldn't trust them to run the sweety shop yet you're still following their orders to vote yes. somewhat hypocritical, no?

FG & Labour who will be the next Govt. who we trust to run the country, want a Yes.

By voting Yes it doesn't mean that we're following "orders". It means that we want the treaty to be ratified. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

K-9 wrote: »
    FG & Labour who will be the next Govt.

any chance you could look into that crystal ball of yours and tell me what numbers are gonna pop up in the lotto tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'm no more following orders from FF then you are from Coir or UKIP.

any chance you could look into that crystal ball of yours and tell me what numbers are gonna pop up in the lotto tomorrow?

Right, add FF.

So FF, FG & Labour are Pro Yes.

Any chance you could actually answer the question now?

Remember who put them there: the Irish electorate.

Exactly my point, we did it. And many No voters are worried about the EU... supposedly.

I'm not normally political and I'm certainly no fan of Fianna Fail. I wouldn't trust what they told me as far as I could throw Cowan. But the fact that most political party's, unions, academics, media etc are for it made me think it is a good thing. I then read about it extensively and it turns out I really feel it's a good thing. The constant lying from the No side is hardening my position as each day passes, if there's so much wrong with Lisbon why lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mother says

Lol, if you want a united Ireland vote for Lisbon (again). Then the republic will be part of the same country as northern ireland... plus the rest of europe.

I'm not normally political and I'm certainly no fan of Fianna Fail. I wouldn't trust what they told me as far as I could throw Cowan. But the fact that most political party's, unions, academics, media etc are for it made me think it is a good thing. I then read about it extensively and it turns out I really feel it's a good thing. The constant lying from the No side is hardening my position as each day passes, if there's much wrong with Lisbon why lie?

Because COIR, SF and Libertas are opposed not alone to Lisbon but most Treaties before it.

We know why SF are opposed and people should know about COIR by now.

COIR are the same crowd who opposed Divorce and did it very well. They lost by .2%

The same crowd who opposed the freedom to have information on abortion AND the freedom to travel to have one.

YES FOLKS, THIS IS COIR. THIS IS THE CROWD WHO PUT UP MINIMUM WAGE €1.83 POSTERS.

They thrive on FUD and are so good at it, if .2% of the electorate changed their mind, we'd have NO Divorce.

• Advertisement

Lol, if you want a united Ireland vote for Lisbon (again). Then the republic will be part of the same country as northern ireland... plus the rest of europe.

Can I ask a question... If there just one of you or a team reading from the same script? just curious like

Advertisement