Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be cheeky??

Options
  • 04-09-2009 3:42pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

A little background before I ask the question.

1: I moved from a large 4 bedroom house with garage and all modcons last year. We paid €750 a month in rent but had to leave because the landlord would call in whenever he liked with no notice at all and we couldn't get any peace.

2: We moved into a slightly smaller 4 bedroom house with no garage and the rent was still €750. When it hit the start of the year we asked for a rent reduction and it was dropped to €650.

Now looking on daft and a few other places the max asking price for the same size houses in the same estate currently are at 620 a month. Normally you can get 50 a month off this price so that would make the max 570 a month.
    Currently house 1 is back for rental and the asking price is 550 a month but I know if we went for the house again he would drop it to 500 a month because we were probably the only tennants he had that looked after the house but I couldn't handle him dropping in the whole time for no good reason.

Would it be cheeky to go back to the letting agents and ask them for another reduction on our current place as (A:) we already got a reduction on rent this year and (B:) Rent prices are cheaper for the same estate now??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CALLY0412

i don't think so tbh...
    you said it yourself-rents have dropped... and no-one wants to be paying over the odds for anything these days....
    I reckon you should just chance your arm.. what's the worst that can happen? They can't throw you out for being cheeky..
    All they can do is say no.. but they might go for it-and you'd be saving yourself money for better use.. like a good night out... :D:D
    GO FOR IT!! :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You don't say if you signed a lease? If so, you already had your rent reduction entitlement. You'd have to wait until its nearly up to do that shopping around and haggling business.

Also, you should of reported that lanlord who came uninvited in the other place, its illegal and breaks the terms of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well answer me this

would it be cheeky if the landlord put the rent up twice in a year ? Yes it would and its not allowed by law.

your entitled to a rent review once a year weather its upwards or downwards. Its beyond cheek to ask for a second reduction in 9 months.

This works both ways remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Landlords are not allowed put up rent during a lease and the tenant is also meant to act the same. It is not cheeky it is not honouring your word and which is also legally bound. You can ask for a reduction and you might get it but if you ever ask the landlord for something out of the ordinary after that I would expect a negative response.

I would not be willing to rent a further period to such a person if given an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Landlords are not allowed put up rent during a lease and the tenant is also meant to act the same. It is not cheeky it is not honouring your word and which is also legally bound. You can ask for a reduction and you might get it but if you ever ask the landlord for something out of the ordinary after that I would expect a negative response.

I would not be willing to rent a further period to such a person if given an option.

If I was renting to somebody that did this I would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gurramok wrote: »
    You don't say if you signed a lease? If so, you already had your rent reduction entitlement. You'd have to wait until its nearly up to do that shopping around and haggling business.

Also, you should of reported that lanlord who came uninvited in the other place, its illegal and breaks the terms of the lease.

We signed a 1 year lease that expired 5 months ago. Since then there has been no lease, also we got our other reduction during the last lease.

I did report him but it done no good. He wasn't registered etc. Also when I gave my months notice he was showing the house to people while we were in the house having our dinner etc without asking us or telling us about it until they landed at the door. I just got away as fast as I could to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Then you're not bound to the present place. If you want to move, give your notice, shop around for a cheaper gaff and if it was me, don't go back to Mr. Unregged Noseyparker.

If a landlord came into my place, i'd treat him as a burglar and lets just say i'd have one over him as he is tresspassing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Kipperhell wrote: »
    A prime case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. In the current climate many landlords do not have the option. Would an empty property be preferable?

But OP since your lease has expired there's absolutely no harm in asking. This Irish notion of "cheek" when it comes to rental or sale prices is nonsense - you're engaging in a business transaction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A prime case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. In the current climate many landlords do not have the option. Would an empty property be preferable?

But OP since your lease has expired there's absolutely no harm in asking. This Irish notion of "cheek" when it comes to rental or sale prices is nonsense - you're engaging in a business transaction.

Well I rang the letting agent and he said he would ask the landlord. Sure there is no harm in asking and if all comes to all there is a house 3 doors away that is for €550 a month (Asking price), same size/layout/furnishings as the current place and has been empty for a few months that I could move to.

I would have thought that landlords would drop rent even slighty rather than have the house empty for what could be a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

Currently house 1 is back for rental and the asking price is 550 a month but I know if we went for the house again he would drop it to 500 a month because we were probably the only tennants he had that looked after the house but I couldn't handle him dropping in the whole time

Why not go to landlord one for the better cheaper house, and just remind him that landloses need 24hours notice before dropping in. My friends signed a lease today that requires 7 days notice'

• Advertisement
Advertisement