Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For sale, wanted and swaps (post here only or your thread will be deleted)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The car is from 1981 - it's registered as a vintage car and thus it's virtually tax free (OK, it does pay €50/yr in tax) and is NCT exempt.

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

unkel wrote: »
    @Diegodelizia - did you put your car through the NCT? If so, what did it fail on? Is your car even on Irish plates?

A passenger electric window not working won't fail the NCT BTW. If you want it fixed, I found a Porsche recycler in the USA who shipped me a motor for my 928 window for about €70 landed :)

You are not helping your ad by claiming the 175BHP in the ad title. If I'm diplomatic, this is a figment of the imagination of your mechanic ;)

very diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diegodelizia

unkel wrote: »
    @Diegodelizia - did you put your car through the NCT? If so, what did it fail on? Is your car even on Irish plates?

A passenger electric window not working won't fail the NCT BTW. If you want it fixed, I found a Porsche recycler in the USA who shipped me a motor for my 928 window for about €70 landed :)

You are not helping your ad by claiming the 175BHP in the ad title. If I'm diplomatic, this is a figment of the imagination of your mechanic ;)

The car does *not* need an NCT. At least, neither the tax office nor my insurer asked me for one - and yes, it is on Irish plates.

As for the BHP claim: the mechanic I cite is the #1 expert on 924s in the country, and he has worked on the car, so I guess he knows more than someone who hasn't even seen it :)

If you could PM me the address of the Porsche recycler in the USA I would be most grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

As for the BHP claim: the mechanic I cite is the #1 expert on 924s in the country, and he has worked on the car, so I guess he knows more than someone who hasn't even seen it :)

That may be so, but without any details to back up the claims you might just be alienating potential buyers. Just my humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The car does *not* need an NCT. At least, neither the tax office nor my insurer asked me for one - and yes, it is on Irish plates.

My insurer didn't ask me if my car (a 2002) was NCT'd either, but I still need an NCT.

From Citizen's Information:
    Exemptions from NCT

Since January 2010, vehicles registered before January 1980 are not required to be tested.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/national_car_test.html

Your 924 needs an NCT, and without it the car's value is significantly less then stated. Also, without a rolling road test the 175bhp claim is pure speculation.

• Advertisement

My insurer didn't ask me if my car (a 2002) was NCT'd either, but I still need an NCT.

From Citizen's Information:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/national_car_test.html

Your 924 needs an NCT, and without it the car's value is significantly less then stated. Also, without a rolling road test the 175bhp claim is pure speculation.

Thanks for your valuable input ;)

Thanks for your valuable input ;)

You're welcome. Just making you aware that your car is not legal on Irish roads.

Modified the ad based on your feedback, thanks lads! I also booked an NCT for after the Summer :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Aye, they slipped that NCT change in with the last vehicle testing act at the end of 2009. Think it came into effect 4th January 2010, requiring all cars first registered 1/1/80 to do a test. From 1/6/2011? this was annual for cars over ten years old.

Bit of a PITA that the year runs from the car's birthday and not when it passes (unlike a MOT), but I suppose you can take it in 3 months early for a 15 months ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

passenger door for a 78 mg midget,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anyone have a clean set of 15" chrome wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Looking for a rust free boot door for an MGB roadster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Looking for a rust free boot door for an MGB roadster.

John Edge in Larne might be able to help, or know where to source one.
    www.oldmotorbikes.co.uk
    PH: 028 2827 9516

He's a nice guy to deal with and stocks all sorts besides old motorbikes.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

Silvera wrote: »
    John Edge in Larne might be able to help, or know where to source one.
    www.oldmotorbikes.co.uk
    PH: 028 2827 9516

He's a nice guy to deal with and stocks all sorts besides old motorbikes.

Hope this helps!

he will have one worse than the one you have for sure,all he has is piles of scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

he will have one worse than the one you have for sure,all he has is piles of scrap

Thats a very sweeping statement?! He has lots of interesting automobilia, motorbikes, etc. These may be "scrap" to you but are collectors items to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

I'm looking for a BMW E24 6 Series in very good condition, 1983 or earlier.

quattro777 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a BMW E24 6 Series in very good condition, 1983 or earlier.

Looking for an E24 too, in everyday driving condition, i.e, not a project car.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Looking for a triumph spitfire as a project car.
    as much info on it as possible.
    pm with offers of sale

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

chevy flags (brand new ) still in plastic wrapping ..

P6052994_zps750013fb.jpg

25 euro plus postage ,,, pm if interested !!

P6052995_zpsf40de8b3.jpg

roughly 6 foot x 2 and a half foot ....

P6052996_zpse6218eba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

here i have a rear window to suit a 1985 volvo . found in the rear seat of another great swede a saab 900 and have no use for it as have no volvo. the window says sweden 85.FREE TO TAKE AWAY
    971618_10151656944802279_1780095326_n_zps4663317f.jpg
    992860_10151656944472279_180854080_n_zps6e178f04.jpg

• Advertisement

to suit a 1985 volvo

200 series estate?

ya , i was on to the previous owner of the saab and says its probaly out of a 240 gtl estate

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

SOLD

photo-15_zpse2c3f6d7.jpg

This is my W124 Estate with a reduced price..

It was imported from the UK a couple of years ago, and has been used for city driving, furniture removals, airport runs & holidays all around Ireland and France.

Tax is up, sunroof doesn't work but the bad news ends there.

The NCT will be renewed early to give a full year of confidence for the new owner.

Just fully valeted, it has 7 seats, factory fitted lumbar support, CD player with iPhone/iPod connector & will come with a BRUTSAERT roofbox.

It has the eight slot Mercedes alloys & a spacesaver wheel. It even has the original first aid kit, spare bulbs & safety triangle.

The car is not immaculate but in terrific condition inside and out. Genuine callers only, you will not find another as nice at this price. Please no texts or private number calls. Thanks for looking!

Price: € 2,050

Ad here with more photos - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/5040550

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

If only it was possible to obtain a 50 bhp increase just by fitting carbs,thats Turbo territory,i would have done it long ago ,i reckon the most you are likely to gain at a push is maybe 20 bhp , but in order to gain that you would need to do a lot of expensive internal engine work,+ lighten the fly wheel,upgrade the torque tube from 20mm to 25mm along with a dog leg gearbox, but possibly who ever did the modifications did all of that ? if it was mine i'd put it on a rolling road just to be sure,as thats a lot of horses for a simple modification.
    i have tried a few things on some of my 924 but with little or no gain,if anything is to be gained by fitting carbs, its likely to be more reliable ,IE no more cold or hot start issues.
    Best of luck with the sale it looks very clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

photo-15_zpse2c3f6d7.jpg

This is my W124 Estate with a reduced price..

It was imported from the UK a couple of years ago, and has been used for city driving, furniture removals, airport runs & holidays all around Ireland and France.

Tax is up, sunroof doesn't work but the bad news ends there.

The NCT will be renewed early to give a full year of confidence for the new owner.

Just fully valeted, it has 7 seats, factory fitted lumbar support, CD player with iPhone/iPod connector & will come with a BRUTSAERT roofbox.

It has the eight slot Mercedes alloys & a spacesaver wheel. It even has the original first aid kit, spare bulbs & safety triangle.

The car is not immaculate but in terrific condition inside and out. Genuine callers only, you will not find another as nice at this price. Please no texts or private number calls. Thanks for looking!

Price: € 2,050

Ad here with more photos - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/5040550
    Lovely looking car, what's it like on fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

Lovely looking car, what's it like on fuel?

Thank you man.
    Around town it's low to mid twenties but can achieve up to low thirties on a run.

CFD

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

I've a sensible, tidy 2.0 HDI diesel Xantia with NCT, needs nothing, lots of history, more details on request, if interested...

...will swap or p/x for an old car. Anything considered, though a preference for an MG, maybe a Mini, have a strange urge for wedge shaped stuff so that includes TR7 and Wedge Princess. Could also consider early 80s BL stuff. Or a FD or FE Victor. Failing that, might consider Mercedes W116 or W123 cars or spares.

here i have a old super charger/blower taken off an old truck that had been lying up for decades , the truck had a weird engine , a flat 6 . this is a heavy aluminium part and may suit someone to take a part and fix or a nice garden decoration. it is seized and is mostly complete. FREE
    1012097_10151662266332279_1203415071_n.jpg
    1004583_10151662265872279_539396158_n.jpg
    944120_10151662265542279_2133041872_n.jpg

here i have a old super charger/blower taken off an old truck that had been lying up for decades , the truck had a weird engine , a flat 6

Weird engine? The Commer TS3 engine?

3 pot, with 3 pairs of opposed pistons, 2 stroke diesel....:eek:

Yeah, weird alright.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

macplaxton wrote: »
    Weird engine? The Commer TS3 engine?

3 pot, with 3 pairs of opposed pistons, 2 stroke diesel....:eek:

Yeah, weird alright.:pac:

I wondered the same as you about the Commer engine! I remember about 20 years ago at the huge shows in Shanes Castle, a lad exhibited one of those engines. He had made a custom rocker cover with a perspex end so you could see the pistons and cylinders and the huge rockers connected to the crank.
    It had the same snort as the one on the video, especially on the overrun. Another engine that had a raucous snort was the Detroit Diesel 2 strokes used on the 1970 "expressway" buses. They were blown aswell, not sure if it was turbo or shaft.

Advertisement