Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Natal Depression (split)

Options
  • 04-09-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey,
    i know this is an old thread but thought i'd give it a go posting here....
    Can i ask for some opinions/help....

My boyfriends younger brother(18) and his now ex girlfriend(16) have recently had a little girl.(she'll be 6weeks old tomorrow).
    Little Alivia is perfect and wasn't born with any serious or lasting conditions so thankfully there are no problems there..
    The trouble lies with Alivias mother-BH. From what I can gather she is suffering from Post Natal depression. She hasn't actually told anyone she has it-she may not even want to admit it to herself but there are alot of signs.
    In Alivias short life, she has only spent a handful of days under her mothers care-BH is constantly giving her to anyone available, refusing to breast feed(may just be a preference but thought i'd mention it), not properly taking care of Alivia-there have been a number of occasions where baby has not been bathed for days, or fed properly. The latest thing is she(BH) wants the father (m) to take Alivia altogther and she wants no contact. Blaming it on the baby hates her.

Can anyone give any advice on what i should do, if anything.. Does this sound like pnd, or am i blowing all these incidences out of proportion?
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

AT 6 weeks after the birth it's too soon to tell, it could be just baby blues
    she is very young and it sounds like she never bonded with the baby and has rejected it.
    It happens.
    If that is the case then the father should take on the care of the infant or else call in socail servies and arrange for fostering while the mother seeks help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've split this from the other thread. It's better to start your own thread for stuff like that instead of dragging up an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cally I've editted your post because you named the child and gave the initials of the mother. Please restate your dilemma without these details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CALLY0412

don't have those privileges yet...
    and those weren't real names..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CALLY0412 wrote: »
    don't have those privileges yet...
    and those weren't real names..

My apologies! I'll revert the post back to it's original form for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CALLY0412

THANKS.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mommy

Its totally natural & nothing to be ashamed about. Tell her go for an overall check up with her doctor. The doctor bound to ask her how shes feeling & hopefully will precribe her something. It ain't easy being a mom!

Advertisement