Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for 2nd Yr CompSci Modules

Options
  • 04-09-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating first year science omnibus and switching over to computer science. I'm looking to fill out my first semester timetable a bit more and get a start on next year with some 2nd year comp sci modules.

I have Data Structures & Algorithms I (COMP20010) down atm, could anyone recommend another one or two? (COMP20030 web multimedia clashes with another module, unfortunately)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Most of the first semester 2nd year modules in computer science are boring.

Web multimedia is pretty much for non computer science students with the standard its taught at and databases and information systems is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do they still make you use MS Access for the databases project? :rolleyes:

Seriously though - I'd agree that most of the 2nd year semester 1 modules are a bit boring. DSA is worthwhile for the sake of keeping your Java standard up. That said, if you want to get something that's seriously torturous out of the way, take Digital Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

That said, if you want to get something that's seriously torturous out of the way, take Digital Systems.
    I would, but I won't be doing Computer Architecture (Comp10040) until semester 2 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Companion Cube

Please tell me you have some previous programing experience and aren't arbitrarily choosing whatever fits in along with 1st year modules.

If you have no previous programing experience and never took, introduction to java 1 and 2, then Data structures and algorithms is going to come as a nasty shock. They start off with the basics but very very quickly head into deep waters for a novice.

Make sure you meet the prerequisites for the modules you are taking, personally there is next to no point in taking these modules in advance.

If you failed last year, sort out the reasons why you failed, take the bare minimum to get you into next year and just make sure you pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Please tell me you have some previous programing experience and aren't arbitrarily choosing whatever fits in along with 1st year modules.

If you have no previous programing experience and never took, introduction to java 1 and 2, then Data structures and algorithms is going to come as a nasty shock. They start off with the basics but very very quickly head into deep waters for a novice.

Of course, I got As in the two intro. programming modules last year :) I was doing biology and chemistry aswell but just lost a lot of interest in it and found I enjoyed compsci much more.

Ive been working on some Project Euler problems to get some java practice before heading back. Anyone know of any other sites that would be useful for refreshing the 'ol java skills?
    Make sure you meet the prerequisites for the modules you are taking, personally there is next to no point in taking these modules in advance.

Yeah, basically I have four modules in semester 2 but only one in the first so I'm just looking to fill out my timetable a bit more and help make things a bit easier for myself next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i have a question for you ppl going into 2nd year CompSci....

im doing Info Studies in Arts, and chose Databases (COMP20070) as one of my Info Studies option modules...its coming up in my timetable, but its missing from my list of chosen modules and its saying ive only registered for 25 credits for semester 1....anyone having the same problem with the Databases module?

Advertisement