Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Guidelines

• 04-09-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Collectors/Deactivated firearms

Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities. In the absence of a definition for an ‘antique’ firearm, Ballistics section at Garda H.Q. applies the ‘Pre Unitary Cartridge’ rule which appears to conform to international standards. Unitary cartridge ammunition consists of a cartridge - usually metal which contains the primer – the propellant and the bullet within it.

Modern reproductions of antique firearms are not exempt from firearms legislation.

Some people will occasionally wish to buy an old or antique firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an investment. This may sometimes be regarded as ‘Good Reason’ having regard to all the circumstances, and if capable of being fired, these firearms will require a firearms certificate.

Deactivated/Defective firearms, not capable of being fired, may be kept on the written authorisation of the local superintendent under S.6 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 as amended. The superintendent must be satisfied that the firearm is actually permanently deactivated and may request certification of same from a recognised proof house and have the firearm examined by a suitably qualified member of the Garda Síochána. Ballistics section Garda H.Q. may also be contacted to offer any further assistance if required. The serial number on such a deactivated firearm should always be maintained for identification purposes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

nice one on finding that out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Its not much, but at least its a start. More provisions should be made for collectors of de-act/antique firearms. I know alot of collectors who had a "visit" from the boys in blue over old antique collectors items :rolleyes:

You would think they would have better things to do:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

chem wrote: »
    In the absence of a definition for an ‘antique’ firearm, Ballistics section at Garda H.Q. applies the ‘Pre Unitary Cartridge’ rule which appears to conform to international standards. Unitary

I would love to see where they pulled this one from. Pre cartridge is stricter than any other antique firearms laws I know of. We should just adopt UK regulations and things will be easier for everyone, god knows they're strict enough as it is. I suspect they just want their licence fee from as many people as they can bully into paying it.
    I'd say we need to form some kind of antiques and deact interest group, but so many collectors wouldn't want to get involved out of fear of becoming visible targets for the next clampdown.

Advertisement