Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! UL e-mail not working for me

• 04-09-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Ok so I'm trying to log in to the old UL e-mail system https://exchstudent1.ul.ie and it keeps tellin me my password might be incorrect but it is most definately not!

Then I remembered there's some new e-mail system this year, which I remeber getting an e-mail about but now that I can't get into the old e-mail system I can't set it up!

Anyone have a link/ know how to set up the new e-mail yoke?
    Anyone havin the same prob logging into the old e-mail?? I have loadsa saved stuff on the old one that I need :(

Help please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

try going to www.outlook.com
    and entering YourIDNumber@studentmail.ul.ie and your password

I've just started in UL and thats what I had to do but I'm not sure if its different for existing students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Ok so I set up the new e-mail, thanks for the link! But when I try to access "lecture notes" in the "more" tab, it asks for authentication via username and password, and it won't accept mine!! Anyone know what the username and password is for accessing "lecture notes" on the new email system?

It still won't let me log into the old one!! Ugh!

FireFly09 wrote: »
    Ok so I set up the new e-mail, thanks for the link! But when I try to access "lecture notes" in the "more" tab, it asks for authentication via username and password, and it won't accept mine!! Anyone know what the username and password is for accessing "lecture notes" on the new email system?

It still won't let me log into the old one!! Ugh!

could it be looking for the username+password you use for logging onto the UL network?

(or maybe the email/network passwords are the same, I haven't tried logging onto a UL PC yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

am beginning to think that all this username password ul network ITD stuff is nothing but unnecessary hastle. why do they have to make everything so damn complicated .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

am beginning to think that all this username password ul network ITD stuff is nothing but unnecessary hastle. why do they have to make everything so damn complicated .
    You sound as if you were expecting UL to have a competent IT department :)

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    You sound as if you were expecting UL to have a competent IT department :)

tell me about it. there were bloody lectures missing on our timetable when they were handed out yesterday.

And how do you pick electives if the stupid thing won't let you log in. I have access to two parts of the college network. the thing i used for online enrollment, and the email. both have different passwords and neither worik on the other parts of the website.

aparantly, I have to go into the library and swipe my card somewhere in ordert o activate my account
    https://sulis.ul.ie/access/content/public/Sulis%20portal/Quick%20start%20guide%20for%20students.pdf

**** it, will do it monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

tell me about it. there were bloody lectures missing on our timetable when they were handed out yesterday.

And how do you pick electives if the stupid thing won't let you log in. I have access to two parts of the college network. the thing i used for online enrollment, and the email. both have different passwords and neither worik on the other parts of the website.

aparantly, I have to go into the library and swipe my card somewhere in ordert o activate my account
    https://sulis.ul.ie/access/content/public/Sulis%20portal/Quick%20start%20guide%20for%20students.pdf

**** it, will do it monday.
    Oh you're going to love Exam Results time. It's fuuuuuuuuuuuun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

FireFly09 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm trying to log in to the old UL e-mail system https://exchstudent1.ul.ie and it keeps tellin me my password might be incorrect but it is most definately not!

Then I remembered there's some new e-mail system this year, which I remeber getting an e-mail about but now that I can't get into the old e-mail system I can't set it up!

Anyone have a link/ know how to set up the new e-mail yoke?
    Anyone havin the same prob logging into the old e-mail?? I have loadsa saved stuff on the old one that I need :(

Help please!

Your problem is that the UL system requires you to change your network password every year....... So my guessing is that your going into second year and set up your account this time last year!!!!! To change your password go to the UL site>Current students>Change Network password and put in a new password and off you go!!!!
    Just as a note the old email system will be going offline during october iirc..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 TheWaterBaby

try putting "ul/ID number" into the username box and type password as normal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Your problem is that the UL system requires you to change your network password every year....... So my guessing is that your going into second year and set up your account this time last year!!!!! To change your password go to the UL site>Current students>Change Network password and put in a new password and off you go!!!!
    Just as a note the old email system will be going offline during october iirc..

You big freaking legend thank you so much! Just had to change my password on the UL website like you said :) God I love boards.ie! Now to "migrate" my mail from the old one to the new one...! Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i used to be able to log in with my old id num and pw but I guess at this point they've removed me from the system.

twas fun sending 'spam' to the folks here bitching about spam mail :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

So it wont let you have the same password as last year it seems. Thats annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

OK...I logged into my new Outlook e-mail account, and went to lecture notes to see if I could access it.

I entered my old password and that didn't work, so I tried the new password that I made for my new e-mail account. That kind of worked, but it went to "Internet Explorer cannot display this page"

Before I logged on, a page came up saying that I should upgrade to IE8, and I skipped it, saying I would get back to it later.

Did I mention how much I hate the ITD?:mad:

Do their sunshine yellow error messages have to be so sunshine yellow.

mine eyes!.

OK...I think I have figured it all out now.

But why oh why oh why does it have to be so pointlessly, stupidly complicated?!!!

Give me a break, I'm only just back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

why are these people in the itd department so stupid? and why are they getting paid? the most basic function of their jobs they cannot do.

I'm a postgrad and I entered both my old password and 4 digit other password number to try to get into e-mail, neither work. I was able to log into online student records to register but cannot access e-mail. any ideas?

The thing with the "public folders" is really starting to **** me off. still cannot find it in Outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Dan133269 wrote: »
    why are these people in the itd department so stupid? and why are they getting paid?

I ask myself that every day

I have now come to the conclusion that the ITD are, in fact, a group of chimps who pound keyboards randomly with their fists.

They will probably write out the works of Shakespeare (or whoever) before they prove to be actually competent with what they do...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kays

You need to go on to
    1. https://outlook.com,
    2. Set up new email account studentID@studentmail.ul.ie
    3. Set password
    4. To access lecture notes etc. click on more and click on option
    5. It will then bring up another window looking for UL ID and password, depending whether u are accessing at home or on campus, if it is a green window just type in ID no and password, if not or on the next pop up put type UL/ before ID no.....hope this works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

can we only use computers in ul to like view the ul stuff like outlook and tat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I have now come to the conclusion that the ITD are, in fact, a group of chimps who pound keyboards randomly with their fists.

They will probably write out the works of Shakespeare (or whoever) before they prove to be actually competent with what they do...:pac:
    They're an underfunded department expected to support a userbase the size of a major multinational (c15,000 users) if that makes any difference. And it should. When I was a sysadmin, I was supporting a userbase of about 100 users, which makes an admin: user ratio of 1:100. Going on that ratio, ITD would have a staff of 150 people. Which they don't or anywhere near it. And when I left I was replaced with three people, which would give ITD an equivalent staffing level of 450.

I don't always agree with the way they do things and I tend to think some things that could be done are just left there and not dealt with at all (look of the previous threads on internal spam to student accounts for example, which were largely just ignored when complaints were made). But it's important to remember that they're keeping the whole thing going on money that would be better suited to two cans and a line of string between them. Blame ITD if you must but don't forget to blame the people who are writing the small amounts on cheques to ITD when they sometimes should have an extra zero at the end.

no you can login to email from outside UL using https://www.outlook.com/ , follow 'Kays' instructions above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kays

You can log into outlook from any computer anywhere (just type https://outlook.com into URL bar, set up ure new ul email account if u have already done this u just need to log in. It is just if you are trying to access lecture notes on campus u will get one pop up window, if ure accessing it from home u will get two pop up windows. See my instruction on previous thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Maybe I read your message a bit different as the other two but if your asking is the only thing you can do with the compuer in UL is look at UL stuff and emails well then the answer is no.

You are allowed to access the internet but are blocked from certain sites like torrent sites.

Kays wrote: »
    You need to go on to
    1. https://outlook.com,
    2. Set up new email account studentID@studentmail.ul.ie
    3. Set password
    4. To access lecture notes etc. click on more and click on option
    5. It will then bring up another window looking for UL ID and password, depending whether u are accessing at home or on campus, if it is a green window just type in ID no and password, if not or on the next pop up put type UL/ before ID no.....hope this works for you.

That's the thing, there is no "more" option on the mail screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

I worry about the future of our country when people can't follow a set of simple instructions. Nothing to do with ITD.

It is when the instructions are for version 7 of their software when they are currently using version 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That's the thing, there is no "more" option on the mail screen.
    Right next to Skydrive...there is a more button.

scgb demonstrates this

scgb2 demonstrates the notes access page.

Advertisement