Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US renews 'halt settlements' plea

Options
  • 04-09-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

The US government has again urged Israel to halt its policy of expanding settlements in the occupied West Bank.

Such actions make a climate for talks "harder to create", the White House press secretary said.

"We regret reports of Israel's plans to approve additional settlement construction [which] is inconsistent with Israel's roadmap commitment."

The comments referred to the reported plans by Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

According to one of his senior aides, Mr Netanyahu is expected to back work on hundreds of new homes next week in addition to 2,500 units already being built...

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8239009.stm

I think this is immature, and irresponsible behaviour by Israel. If it was any other country, I feel that the US would be quicker to react in a more appropriate manner.

Israel doesn't appear to have any intentions of respecting international law, nor does it wish to create an environment for which Palestine and Israel can come together and work this whole mess out.

So what next? Israel has demonstrated that it's not willing to respect international law, and doesn't give a monkeys about what the US has to say.

I think hardened sanctions should be implemented to show Israel that the world means business. The time for bargaining with is over. Not one further step of leniency should be taken. I think the US is the position to demonstrate that they mean business, opposed to just throwing out a few cliché slaps on the wrist every now and again to keep the UN happy..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Time to call the bluff allright.

The only question here is whether this another pre-talks rushed land grab, an attempt to provoke the Palestinians into doing something that will allow Israel to walk away from the talks in 'righteous indignation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Nothing new here, Israel has always shown their disregard for international law just look at the previous war. Soon this picture will be all white.

781672-956591.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Another reason that the settlements are always being built is that anyone that is a jew has the right to live in israel.There just isnt enough land to go around and yet again its the palestinian people that suffer

NilByMouth wrote: »
    Another reason that the settlements are always being built is that anyone that is a jew has the right to live in israel.There just isnt enough land to go around and yet again its the palestinian people that suffer

Well thats not exactly true, to be honest. Theres no land shortage in Israel afaik, and not every Jew wants to go there. This is just a land grab pushed by expansionism, not overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Why does the US have to "plea"?

They're the worlds only superpower, who bankroll Israel with money and weapons.

You'd imagine they'd be calling the shots.

Or is this just window dressing crap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dresden8 wrote: »

Technically they don't, but there is a certain element of pressure within American politics to support Israel at all costs by Zionists.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Technically they don't, but there is a certain element of pressure within American politics to support Israel at all costs by Zionists.

Indeed, the world's only superpower of 300 million people dances to the tune of Israel, a country of 7 million people.

How bizarre.

(Hears file being opened in Jerusalem. Hiya lads!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Nodin wrote: »
    Well thats not exactly true, to be honest. Theres no land shortage in Israel afaik, and not every Jew wants to go there. This is just a land grab pushed by expansionism, not overcrowding.

Alot of the land is desert and is good for nothing but farming scorpions.The land that the settlements are being built on or near is the land that the palestinians used for farming or feeding there cattle on which quite often is the only farmable land around

But yes i agrree it is just another land grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,317 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh sure. Lambast the US when they go into Iraq and Afghanistan. How dare they overthrow mass murdering dictators and hunt after terrorist networks.

So Israel starts building new homes and suddenly you want to us to send in the Marines? WAIT RIGHT HERE I'll go fetch the President

/coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh sure. Lambast the US when they go into Iraq and Afghanistan. How dare they overthrow mass murdering dictators and hunt after terrorist networks.

So Israel starts building new homes and suddenly you want to us to send in the Marines? WAIT RIGHT HERE I'll go fetch the President

/coat

Over-react much? :rolleyes:

Nobody said anything about sending in the Marines. Nobody ever favours military action.

The issue is the illegal expansion of settlements, which is at the expense of displaced Palestinians. Do you think that the settlements are ok to go ahead, and if not - What do you suggest that be done in order to make Israel listen?

Let's not forgot - they have already blatantly ignored any international pressure - So now it's time to up the stakes. Economic sanctions are the way to go.

Unless of course, you'd rather just sensationalise everything and try and take the thread off topic?

• Advertisement

/coat

Er what?

Why does the US need to conquer the lands of the Palestinians?

Who mentioned Iraq and Afghanistan?

Just kill Palestinians, like you're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

To quote an old saying they may talk the talk but can they walk the walk! I think not! Just because they say it does not mean they will do anything about it!

The most influential state in America is Florida! The jewish community is the strongest community in florida. With the highest admiration and respect to the jewish power they will tell the american govt what to do, not the other way around!

Personally I would like to see the world stand up.

Ban all arm shipments to Israel, in fact ban anything they need to import, ban everything that they export. This needs to stop right now.

I hate to say it but if the other Arab countries had any balls they would join up and do the right thing destroy the Zionist state. I know it's to imagine but that's the only way things like this will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

hate to say it but if the other Arab countries had any balls they would join up and do the right thing destroy the Zionist state. I know it's to imagine but that's the only way things like this will stop.

Yeah, they tried that 3 or 4 times already. Thats why Israel has been getting bigger over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sand wrote: »
    Yeah, they tried that 3 or 4 times already. Thats why Israel has been getting bigger over the years.

Nah, Israel got bigger as that was always part of the plan, you know the whole greater Israel business, inspired by either the Bible or ethnic based nationalism, take your pick, either brand does the job.

As for the settlements, I think it fair to say that the Israeli government, simply does not want peace and will play the US for the fools they clearly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

dresden8 wrote: »

They're the worlds only superpower, who bankroll Israel with money and weapons.

You'd imagine they'd be calling the shots.

Or is this just window dressing crap?

Because you plea with allies. Nothing really is going to change the fact that the US and Israel are allies. I think it's pretty good that Obama is even standing up to Israel and telling them they're wrong in what they're doing. Not many presidents would have done that, and McCain made it very clear that he would not have stood up to Israel.

If your friend was doing something that you fundamentally disagreed with, you'd plea with them to not do it. You wouldn't control them or threaten them just because you might happen to be stronger.

Sand wrote: »

Tried with when? Oh over 50 years ago wars are fought different now. They ran like ****s when they were getting hammered by Russian made anti tank missiles. They're getting bigger out of greed taking land.

Something has to be done for these poor people and an all war might actually work but they don't have the guts.

Off topic but I'd like to get some opinions.

I'm very interested in doing something, clothes are banned by Israel is there any group how do collect clothes and send them to Gaza? I'd be interested in doing it but don't know where to look?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The land is one thing but what will Israel do with the people who currently live there? They are not going away and their population is by far growing faster than the Israelis.

Israel, as these polices show are nothing more than a 21st century South Africa. Instead of racial apartheid its a religious apartheid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

/coat

I have to question any point you raised here to the relevance of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Less of the handbags and less of the baiting please.

I hate to say it but if the other Arab countries had any balls they would join up and do the right thing destroy the Zionist state.

If you're trying to get yourself banned then you're off to a good start. Please do not bait people on this forum if you want to continue posting in it.

nesf wrote: »
    If you're trying to get yourself banned then you're off to a good start. Please do not bait people on this forum if you want to continue posting in it.

I don't see anything wrong with my post to honest.

Sorry

I don't see anything wrong with my post to honest.

Sorry

Calling for the destruction of the Zionist state is almost guaranteed to provoke angry responses from people. Statements like this aren't allowed on the forum because of this rather than because of the validity of the argument.

Threads on this topic descend into pointless bickering very quickly, this makes the above even more relevant here.

Calling for the destruction of the Zionist state is almost guaranteed to provoke angry responses from people. Statements like this aren't allowed on the forum because of this rather than because of the validity of the argument.

Threads on this topic descend into pointless bickering very quickly, this makes the above even more relevant here.

Well I doubt many would not agree, I don't mean killing all Jews just Zionism they are nothing but a bunch of racist bastards. Just because Hitler treated them bad doesn't give them the power to the same.

Oh on second thoughts it Israel the country who can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Well I doubt many would not agree, I don't mean killing all Jews just Zionism they are nothing but a bunch of racist bastards. Just because Hitler treated them bad doesn't give them the power to the same.

Oh on second thoughts it Israel the country who can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Calling for the deaths of certain people on here isn't ok mate regardless of how justified you might think it is.

Calling for the deaths of certain people on here isn't ok mate regardless of how justified you might think it is.

Ok sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Nothing new here, Israel has always shown their disregard for international law just look at the previous war. Soon this picture will be all white.

781672-956591.jpg

Your map doesn't show Egyptian, Jordanian or Syrian occupied lands in the first three images.

/coat

No, just stop sending the cash and using the vetoes...

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »

If your friend was doing something that you fundamentally disagreed with, you'd plea with them to not do it. You wouldn't control them or threaten them just because you might happen to be stronger.

If your friend was doing something that you fundamentally disagreed with you wouldn't give them more money to go on doing it.

Israel is not America's ally, America is Israel's bitch.

"Stop the settlements" pleads America, "phuck you" says Israel, "now come across with the money and weapons".

Advertisement