Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US renews 'halt settlements' plea

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

prinz wrote: »
    I already said I don't agree with settlements.
    Until that happens then I support the Israelis staying where they are in occupying the West Bank.

You have already state that you support the illegal occupation of the West Bank until an "independent" entity is created.

Make up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I already said I don't agree with settlements.

But you also said this......
    prinz wrote:
    I'd support the establishment of an independent entity, with international support to get it established and stabilised, free from external influence, pressure, and control, that repudiates terrorism. Until that happens then I support the Israelis staying where they are in occupying the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    The Jordanians have, however, ceded all their claims and interests in the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem to the Palestinians.

It's not the Jordanians I would be mindful of, but a Palestinian State is hardly something that Jordan is looking forward to, given the massive Palestinian population in Jordan. I don't think the Hashemites would be happy to lose power, and I think that Jordan is already acting under that assumption, that a Palestinian West Bank etc, would lead to calls for concessions from Jordan, greater political representation for Palestinians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

There is no basis for autonomy? Self determination? Equal rights?
    Have there been calls for autonomy and self-determination? I'd like to see a source for such calls. I'm not saying that they don't exist but I haven't heard of them. Also could you also point out how the Palestinian citizens don't have equal rights compared to other citizens in Jordan? As far as I'm aware they do have equal rights there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's not the Jordanians I would be mindful of, but a Palestinian State is hardly something that Jordan is looking forward to, given the massive Palestinian population in Jordan. I don't think the Hashemites would be happy to lose power, and I think that Jordan is already acting under that assumption, that a Palestinian West Bank etc, would lead to calls for concessions from Jordan, greater political representation for Palestinians etc.

Popular wisdom states that the concession was to essentially provide sufficient area for a Palestinian state, which would encourage emmigration from Jordan proper, thus taking the pressure off the hashemite population.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    You have already state that you support the illegal occupation of the West Bank until an "independent" entity is created.

Make up your mind.

Military occupation as the result of the war of '67 is one thing, and that gives Israel a right in the future of the territories.

Continued building settlements which may one day be cut from the West Bank and a bit of creative gerrymandering etc to exclude x village etc from West Bank proper I do not agree with, which is in fact different.

See the Fourth Geneva Convention, Article 49.

The Saint wrote: »
    Have there been calls for autonomy and self-determination? I'd like to see a source for such calls. I'm not saying that they don't exist but I haven't heard of them. Also could you also point out how the Palestinian citizens don't have equal rights compared to other citizens in Jordan? As far as I'm aware they do have equal rights there.

A few months ago Jordan begin rescinding citizenship of Palestinians in Jordan, for a start. Also amongst the leadership and government, the military, etc Palestinians have been notoriously under represented comparative to the population in Jordan.

Nodin wrote: »
    Popular wisdom states that the concession was to essentially provide sufficient area for a Palestinian state, which would encourage emmigration from Jordan proper, thus taking the pressure off the hashemite population.

Is it required, definitely IMO. Will it happen, unlikely IMO.

Anyway, back on topic.
    Israel has officially approved the construction of more than 450 new homes in the occupied West Bank, the Israeli defence ministry has announced.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8241247.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh sure. Lambast the US when they go into Iraq and Afghanistan. How dare they overthrow mass murdering dictators and hunt after terrorist networks.

So Israel starts building new homes and suddenly you want to us to send in the Marines? WAIT RIGHT HERE I'll go fetch the President

/coat
    Calm down, no one is asking the Irish Marines to go to war!

• Advertisement

A few months ago Jordan begin rescinded citizenship of Palestinians in Jordan, for a start. Also amongst the leadership and government, the military, etc Palestinians have been notoriously under represented comparative to the population in Jordan.

Can I get sources for this please. Would like to read up on it myself.

Advertisement