Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I'm going mad

Options
  • 04-09-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ive had a problem with anxiety/depression for years now. Ive take an antidepressant tablet and have done for years and that is my way of dealing with it. But I do feel it is failing to deal with the real issues that are bothering me and that I wont reach my full potential until I do that. Everytime I try to come off the tablet I go through an awful time and go back on.
    I have been to counselling probably about 8 sessions in total. I didnt find it helped me to change.
    Someone close intervened and when I discussed this they said I could really benefit from psychotherapy. In fact they pointed out things about me and the way I am that I wasnt aware of and that scared me. It showed me I am not really self aware. I tend to agree I could benefit from it.
    The only thing is I am scared of it. In 33 and have a responsible job and Id be afraid it might bring out things in me that will set me back. They say often things can get worse before they get better and in this time of my life that won't be easy, but then no time is easy I suppose.
    Just wondering if anyone has any positive experiences they could share. Is it worth doing? Have I anything to fear? What else could I try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry to hear that OP. If you ask yourself why are you depressed or anxious first, and try to come up with solutions? Actively try to solve whatever's bringing you down. If its more complicated then that or you need outside help then what have you got to lose by getting therapy? If you care about getting yourself out of being this way then you'll try anything right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 newbie2009

I would definately see a therapist. Make sure you lead a well-rounded life that includes loads of exercise and interactions with other people i.e joining clubs and groups with a view to practicing your social skills and accomodating other people and opening yourself up to other perspectives and opinions. Leading a sheltered life will not help you understand who you are as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Ive had a problem with anxiety/depression for years now. Ive take an antidepressant tablet and have done for years and that is my way of dealing with it. But I do feel it is failing to deal with the real issues that are bothering me and that I wont reach my full potential until I do that. Everytime I try to come off the tablet I go through an awful time and go back on.
    I have been to counselling probably about 8 sessions in total. I didnt find it helped me to change.
    Someone close intervened and when I discussed this they said I could really benefit from psychotherapy. In fact they pointed out things about me and the way I am that I wasnt aware of and that scared me. It showed me I am not really self aware. I tend to agree I could benefit from it.
    The only thing is I am scared of it. In 33 and have a responsible job and Id be afraid it might bring out things in me that will set me back. They say often things can get worse before they get better and in this time of my life that won't be easy, but then no time is easy I suppose.
    Just wondering if anyone has any positive experiences they could share. Is it worth doing? Have I anything to fear? What else could I try?

Your counselor should have put you onto a psychiatrist.

Talk to your doctor, you may need a stronger tablet or you may even need some other type of medication to take with your antidepressants out there some work some don't so don't be afraid to talk to your doctor, I've had it for years and I've tried dealing with it without Med's but it's impossible.

Things like getting up early can help, start going to the gym meeting other people all things like that can help you. Do you NOT stop taking your med's!!! Truth is you might be on them for the rest of your life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭sachamama

yes i agree, there are real chemical imbalances in the body that need to be treated with medication.
    having issues to look at is part of life too, where it might not be so easy to "lead a well balanced life with lots of social interaction and exercise" just ensure that you are stable on your meds and on the right ones for you before you do anything that might change your life. psychotherapy is not scary, dont put that type of an expectation on it. its client led, i.e. you decide where you want to go with it, and what you want to look at. its one hour a week, you have to make sure you can survive the rest of the week without it, so do tell close friends that you might need a shoulder to cry on or some extra support around you should something come up.

you can do babysteps - you dont have to look at ALL of your fears in one go. take it one step at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭sachamama

Your counselor should have put you onto a psychiatrist.

sorry just to say that this isn't true, its up to your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist, counsellors may or may not realise that a client needs a psychiatrist but its not within their remit to do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement