Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to add a second hard disk

Options
  • 04-09-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I've got a PC running XP Professional and was thinking of adding a larger sized second hard disk so that I don't have to plug in an external drive every time I want to listen to music or watch TV/Films.

Is it just a matter of opening up the case, popping in the drive, connecting up the cable and waiting for XP to do the rest or is it more complicated than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Firetrap wrote: »
    I've got a PC running XP Professional and was thinking of adding a larger sized second hard disk so that I don't have to plug in an external drive every time I want to listen to music or watch TV/Films.

Is it just a matter of opening up the case, popping in the drive, connecting up the cable and waiting for XP to do the rest or is it more complicated than that?

You would need to format the harddrive as well in windows as it will not show up automatically in My computer as you would expect.

Start -> control panel-> admin tools-> computer management.

On the computer management panel click on the disk management option, your new harddrive will be/should be listed here.

Right Click on it and select format and follow the on screen prompts.Tis pretty easy stuff once you have done it once. Google "how to format a harddrive in xp" and you should find plenty of guides on howto do it.

Just make sure your case has space for a 2nd harddrive and spare power cables to power the harddrive.

Advertisement