Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford 4450 gear trouble

• 04-09-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Have an old ford 4550 digger at home that's rusting away, but from memory everything works on it bar the gears. The gear leavers dont seem to engage the gears, and they can rotate around in a circle. I'm wondering is this just a worn set of gear sticks? I must pull the plate that the leavers are on off some evening and have a look, but I'd like to know what to look for first.
    I think this is the same gearbox thats in the ford 4000 series tractor....any pointers welcome.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is a different box with 3F and 2R and a high and low range. The 550 and 555 would have the same box as well, but with different length sticks.

Your prob is more than likely the gearbox cover. There are two little lugs on the big lever that tend to break off with age. The 4000/4600 gearbox cover/sticks is the same as the 4550 one though (I actually have a 4550 cover on my 4000!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

thanks maidhc, I had an inkling that it might be the cover/guide for the sticks. Any good breakers around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

what part of the country are you in

you can buy the cover and levers new and they'll last ages

check out agriline .ie and they are about half way down the ford pages 65 sterling but u can order them here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Thanks man, I think the website you are referring to is http://www.agrilineproducts.com/

Brilliant source, i might have a go at the old dexta aswell. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

Xennon wrote: »
    i might have a go at the old dexta aswell.

do,have a go at the old ones
    its great to see them back around and out of the ditches
    if you or anyone else has or finds ones that are gone too far give us a shout as there are always bits to be salvaged

post up some pics

• Advertisement
Advertisement