Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisbon treaty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

I find this argument a red herring to be honest .Under the protocol of the Treaty of Lisbon we cannot be removed from the EU either. If Ireland, or any other State for that matter wanted to leave the EU now they could. Lisbon just lays out a mechanism to do so in order to retain political stability in the event of such a withdrawal.

Are you trying to claim that if we pass Lisbon we can be voted out of the EU?

In any case the mythological argument of Ireland being voted out of the EU is irrelevant but there is nothing stopping the other states moving on without us in some other shape or form, be it on a good-will basis, a two-track basis or any other number of possibilities.
    im not claiming that if we pass lisbon we can be voted out.
    i am pointing out that we cant be removed for voting no.
    as for the other states "moving on without us"thats just a scare tactic.if they could of "moved on without us" they would have done so after the last vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

wfman wrote: »
    im not claiming that if we pass lisbon we can be voted out.
    i am pointing out that we cant be removed for voting no.
    as for the other states "moving on without us"thats just a scare tactic.if they could of "moved on without us" they would have done so after the last vote.

Who said we can be removed for voting no so, if you saw it worrying enough to address because afaik no campaign has claimed such a thing?

Why wouldn't other states move on without us? (I do not necessarily mean in the physical sense but more in an operative sense in the EU institutions) I was in Brussels shortly after the first no vote and to some extent they have already moved on without us and it is understandable why.

Europe cannot understand when they see exit polls citing Irish voters reasons for voting no given that the majority of reasons stated are either a) I didn't understand it or b) a completely unrelated issue or c) something not contained in the Treat at all or a combination of all of the above. Lets make no mistake about it Ireland has a bigger voice in Europe than we should have given our size and population and the EU doesn't work on the basis of adversarial parliamentary democracy. In fact all decisions at commission and council of ministers level are made on a consensus basis. Lisbon helps to make the institutions operate more effectively and us voting to reject this housekeeping certainly won't help us retain our above-representative voice in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

there is no proof we will be left behind.if ireland votes no we will be in the same position on the 3rd of oct as the 1st of oct.whats wrong with the Nice treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Keith Winters

there is no proof we will be left behind.if ireland votes no we will be in the same position on the 3rd of oct as the 1st of oct.whats wrong with the Nice treaty?

You're not actually addressing any of the points I've made.

I don't know what you need by way of proof. Clearly there cannot be proof for something that may or may not happen in the future, but it's a reasonably educated guess based on the reaction towards Ireland since we voted No. It might also be worth mentioning that that reaction was more than likely constrained somewhat on the basis that concessions could be made (we keep our Commissioner now) and that the Irish could vote again.

What's wrong with the Treaty of Nice? The answer is a multitude of things to be honest, and that is such an open-ended question that you could write a book on it. In a nutshell, Nice is no longer fit-for-purpose. The EU has and is expanding economically and socially and it cannot operate efficiently under the provisions on Nice. Lisbon does a lot to tidy up the messiness of an overbloated EU working within a framework designed for a smaller entity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Tis a close one.
    But then anyone could be voting in this poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Okay. So since my last post on this thread I've done some extensive research on the Lisbon Treaty. I've completely ignored anything that's being said from the "Yes" and "No" campaigns because, frankly, I'm smarter than them! This is well worth a read. http://www.lisbontreaty2009.ie/lisbon_treaty_extended_guide.pdf

So these are some of my findings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

First off, the basics. What are we voting for?
    On referendum day October 2nd, you are being asked to decide whether or not to change the Constitution of Ireland. This proposed change would allow:
    • Ireland to ratify the Lisbon Treaty
    • Ireland to agree to certain decisions in the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice in future with the approval of the Dáil and Seanad
    • Ireland to agree at the European Council to certain changes to the EU treaties in the future without a referendum

So the Lisbon Treaty, if ratified, will attempt to streamline the EU. The Lisbon Treaty proposes to increase the decision-making powers of the European Parliament. If the Treaty comes into force, co-decision would apply to a number of new areas. These include agriculture, asylum and immigration from non-EU countries. If the Lisbon Treaty comes into force then the European Parliament and the Council (of Ministers) will have joint decision-making powers over the entire EU budget.

A so-called "President of the EU" would be elected by qualified majority voting and he/she would have a 2.5 year term. Currently the president is the leader of whichever country holds the presidency and has a 6 month term. From what I can see this new "Presidency" will not give unacceptable powers to that person. There may be a slight chance that they will be able to push their own agenda but this remains to be seen.

Qualified majority voting will become the standard voting procedure. QMV is reached when a majority of all member countries (55%) who represent a majority of all citizens (65%) vote in favour of a proposal. When the Council is not acting on a proposal of the Commission, the necessary majority of all member countries is increased to 72% while the population requirement stays the same. To block legislation at least 4 countries have to be against the proposal. The current Nice treaty voting rules that include a majority of countries (50% / 67%), voting weights (74%) and population (62%) would remain in place until 2014. Now this obviously favours larger members states so I don't think Ireland would have too much influence in any votes. This, I feel, is not a good thing. At the moment, as I understand it, we still have less influence than the larger members states due to voting weights but under Lisbon we may be worse off.

The Lisbon Treaty also proposes that changes be made that will give the European Council power to make certain changes to Treaties without the need for a referendum. Certain changes will still require a referendum in Ireland and one change that cannot be made by the EC is to change the competences of the EU. Now having a referendum opens up the possibility for "Yes" and "No" campaigns to try and sway you their respective ways, usually through scare tactics, exaggerations of the truth and downright lies. In fact look at any posters from either campaign at the moment and you'll see examples. :D. So it may be a good thing for the EC to be able to make certain changes, after all the heads of government will be the ones making the decision and they are the people we elect to speak for us. However looking at the current situation I don't want my government speaking for me and also the decisions to future changes of treaties may be made by qualified majority voting instead of unanimity, which is currently required, so our government may have no say in the matter. I'll leave that up to you to decide if it's a good thing.

Now I mentioned competences in the last paragraph. This does worry me. At the moment there are three types of competence, Exclusive Competence, Shared Competence and Supported Competence. Lisbon will redistribute the competences. Examples of what areas fall under which competence type can be found here. Exclusive Competence means just that; the EU has exclusive competence to make directives and conclude international agreements when provided for in a Union legislative act. For Supported Competence the EU cannot harmonise laws, but it can adopt legally binding rules all the same. Shared Competence is what worries me. The entended document on the Lisbon Treaty 2009 site says shared competence means "The EU and the member states are jointly responsible" for the areas that fall under this type. Here suggests something slightly different.
    Shared competence

"A shared competence" would normally entail that two different decision-makers share the right to decide and make laws.

When the EU and its member states share a competence, the Member State loses its 'competence' (power to take decisions) when the EU decides to regulate. So EU legislation does not only replace the content of a national law, it also removes the national right to legislate.

Future

The Lisbon Treaty proposes in Art. 4 TFEU that the following areas become shared competences: competition rules within the internal market; the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice; agriculture and fisheries; transport; trans-European networks; energy; social policy; Economic, social and territorial cohesion; the environment; public health; and consumer protection.

To me that suggests that Shared Competence isn't all that shared!

The role of National Parliaments will change. One one hand they will have more time to vet proposals put through by the Commission and offer an opinion. However if they don't like what they see they can only recommend a review. A third (a quarter in certain situations) of National Parliaments would have to object to a proposal to start the review process. But the review process will only make the Commission have another look at the proposal and see if it should still go through. At the end of the day they have the power and the National Parliaments can realistically do nothing about it if the Commission has made its mind up.

As for the European Commission, at present each member state has a member on the Commission totaling 27 in all. Under the Nice Treaty that number has to be reduced by a certain date, of which I'm not sure. It could be reduced only to 26 from 27, I understand, and I've heard some people speculate that we would be the country left out if we vote no! Not sure if that would happen by maybe it could. Lisbon also wants to reduce this number to one for two thirds of member states from 2014 but one of the "legally binding agreements" made since we said No the first time is that on ratification of Lisbon each member state will retain their commissioner. However, the Treaty also provided that the European Council could unanimously decide to alter this number. If I was being honest I think that if Lisbon is ratified, in 2014 the number will be reduced.

As for the issue of Ireland's neutrality, Ireland has opted out from the change from unanimous decisions to qualified majority voting in the sector of police and judicial affairs. However, the government have promised to review this decision three years after the treaty enters into force (if the Treaty is approved). We can also opt in to these voting issues on a case-by-case basis, decided by the Dail and the Oireachtas. So, yes, we can stay neutral but will we be pressurised to opt in in three years? And could the government make a decision against the people's wishes without the need for a referendum?

So that's my initial understanding of what happens if we vote yes. I am, by no means, an expert on all of this. I'm still undecided. I can see both positives and negatives of voting either way. I'm in no way convinced that increased powers given to the EU will completely benefit a small country like ours. But by being a small country I think we lose something either way we vote. Sure we'll have more power to negotiate with Russia for oil and gas so in areas such as energy we may be stronger. We're slowly moving towards a European "country" similar to the US. Lisbon is another step towards that. Losing some of Ireland's individuality may be the cost.

I'd love to find out what would change if a new Treaty had to be drawn up if we vote no. How long it would take? What changes would be made that would benifit the smaller countries like ours? And how would the EU function while waiting for it to be done? But, as always, all we could do is speculate.

As it stands I have a few weeks to make up my mind. I could go either way at the moment but I won't be swayed by any of the political parties' campaigns that's for sure.

P.S. Apologies for any mistakes, either spelling, grammatical or factual! I am but a simple man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

People fought long enough in this country to get power and now a lot of people are willing to vote yes and give it away again:rolleyes:

No to the super Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    I honestly think now is not the time to be pissing off the EU, ideallistic dreams of "we voted no already" and "We'll be a dominion of the EU" aside we are a free market economy that is going to have to rely on forigen trade in the coming years and IMO the last thing we need to do is pretty much piss off the majority of people we trade with.

People trade because you have something they want and vica versa, nothing to do with European politics. We already have a free trade zone and that's not going to change no matter what.

What's changing is that the EU is taking over responsibility for other aspects of law, such as human rights, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I will be voting no again, some people have bad memories because the nice treaty was bad for Ireland.

And I depise fianna fail for running this country down to the ground so il be sticking my two fingers up to them by voting no next month.

Btw the information booklet distibuted by the independent commission is complete manure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

The EU went behind irelands back and made a secret deal with Micheal dell,to help fund the building of his new plants if he moved to poland,so he pulled out of limerick after all his talk and promises saying im not going to open up any new plants in europe bla bla bla,now poland has said that they will accept the treaty with out even a vote, EU is not pro ireland it never will be it never was, this is our country only we have its best interest at heart,

Most of country's involved would have said no if they were allowed ,they were not,,,there government voted for them .

only a few will benefit we will not be part of that few

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Afaik, the EU did not do a secret deal. It was Poland who did and the EU were to investigate it.

Either way, this is going to become more frequent seeing as Ireland is just to expensive to operate in. Deal or no deal.

Back to the treaty.. Next Tuesday in the WIT Auditorium, 7.30pm a talk on Lisbon with Sean Kelly, MEP for South, and other speakers will be held. Free event, doors open an hour before. Questions and Answers session also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'd like to add this, if you want to punish FF, do so in the next election, not through Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I reckon if the no vote wins the eu will press ahead with lisbon anyway.

I dont trust the government to run the country and if the no vote is successful this will be a big blow to Brian Cowen. And I also believe that voting yes wont have any effect on attracting foreign investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

People fought long enough in this country to get power and now a lot of people are willing to vote yes and give it away again:rolleyes:

No to the super Europe!

I see your Point, however your 37 years to later for that and we still dont have "power" in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Without question voting NO.
    Its a disgrace they are forcing us to vote again.Everyone in Europe who did not receive the right to vote is all eyes on us counting on us to vote no.They put it to us we voted no and now they will force the vote again,even though they said that would not happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfmEgjgkaBo&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

voting no myself.

i hate to be a worker of a multi national company out on the estate or anywhere else.

ireland has 1 of the lowest corporation taxes in europe, if we vote yes then the eu will rise corporation taxes in this country in lieu of the european averages. multi nationals are under serious enough pressure and this will lead to them pulling out of this country. remember 200,000 are employed by multi nationals companies in ireland.

spain did this and unemployment rose from8% to 18% after the ratifcation of the lisbon treaty

this treaty stinks and its flawed, its the same treaty as before and anyone who voted no the last time and voting yes this time would want to get their heads checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

I'm voting No. Brian Cowan and Michael Martin are scaring the frightened Sheep into voting Yes, suggesting there will be a backlash from Europe if we say no again.

How come Barosso was re-elected? Easy! He was the only candidate in the race - after an exhaustive campaign of self Aggrandissement.

The EU didn't Stop DELL moving to Poland. Others will follow to where bigger profits can be made.985-chapp-N.jpg

Im voting NO myself, but Id love one of the yes voters to explain to me where the "jobs" that the yes posters hung around the country boast of are supposed to come from??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

caseyann wrote: »
    Without question voting NO.
    Its a disgrace they are forcing us to vote again.Everyone in Europe who did not receive the right to vote is all eyes on us counting on us to vote no.They put it to us we voted no and now they will force the vote again,even though they said that would not happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfmEgjgkaBo&feature=related

1) You were asked to vote again in other treatys,
    2)
    You are being asked to vote again because the Yes side did a ****e job at explaining, and according to research, the large majority voted no because of this,
    3) The No side started a compain based on 100% bull**** and misquotes. They used scare tactics into getting everyone to vote no. A lot of people believed them, so the government asked the EU to create legal guarntes about certain things. They are rather pointless because they have no point - neither of the guarntss have aanything to do with Lisbon in the first place. There just accepting why folk said no and making it clear it wont happen (not that it ever would have).
    4) You would be voting with complete nut job groups and partys ost off you would not even consider for a vote in a local, general or europea electioon.
    5) Your forgetting that Declan Gnley nnver toook "No" for an answer, yet is being welcomed back with open arms. :p
    5) Also, the No campaigners have voted no to pretty much every EU treaty including joining the EU.
    Mickdots wrote: »
    vooting no myself.

i hate to be a worker of a multi national company out on the estate or anywhere else.

ireland has 1 o the loowest corporation taxes in europe, if we vte yess then the eu will rise copooration taxes in this country in lieu of the european averags. multii nationals are under serious enough pressure and this will lead to them pulling out of this country. remember 200,000 are employed by multi nationals companies in ireland.

Incorrect. What you are confusing here is the reference to the "Common Tax Base". What it doesn't do is change the actual rate at which Corporation Tax is at in any country. It would fix exactly counts as income and what counts as expenses for a company.

Its also part of those famous guarntees, which ar silly. YYou know, the ones which clarify something that isnt actually true.
    Nothing in threatyaty of Lisbon makes any change of any kind, for any Member State, to the extent or operation of the competence of the European Union in relation to taxation.
    spain did this and unloymeyment rose from8% to 18% after the ratifcation of the lin treaty[/q

ncorrerrect. Spain has a deep history of unemployment and was hit by the recession like everyone else. Regardless of how things went with accepting Lisbon - the treaty was never ratified. It could not be ratified because of our no vote. Therefore, Lisbon clearly had no effect on Spain because it never came into effect. We are still on the Niece treaty folks.

this treaty stinks and its flawed, its the same treaty as before and anyone who voted no the last time and voting yes this time would want to get their heads checked

How does it stink and how is it flawed? Its the same treaty but people voted "No" because of misinformation and anger at the government. Thats fact. Now people areing aing at the treaty, comparing arguments and doing their own basic research and deciding then which way to go. This time the majority wont vote to piss of Finna Fail (like Sinn Feintellitelling peop do)ooff off and it has been explained a bit better then last time which is what the people asked for. People voting "No" because they believe what the "No" side said and never did their own research, or because they want to piss of FF - "would want to get their heads checked".
    moceri wrote: »
    I'm voting Nian Coan Cowan and Michael Martin areing ting the frightened Sheep into voting Yes, suggesting there will be a backlash from Europe if we say no again.

True, but it will effect us imo. I cant honestly agree tha EUhe EU will accept they need to re-draft the treaty because of us. I believe something will change which will effect us. Sad, but true. We are voting No for daft reasons - why should they do it all over? Regardless, SF and the other nut jobs will make up more bull**** and lies that will bring us back around in the same circle.
    The EU didn't Stop DELL moving to Poland. Others will follow to where bigger profits can be made.985-chapp-N.jpg

Your point? Thats the whole advantage of the Een heen here in Waterford more and more businesses are shutting down and moving to a lower cost base. Blame our government - not the EU.
    Im voting NO m, but Id lovd love onehef the yes voters to explain to me where the "jobs" that the yes posters hung around the country boast of are supposed to come from??

Article 3 TEU:
    3. The Union shall establish an internal market. It shall work for the sustainable development of Europe based on balanced economic growth and price stability, a highly competitive social market economy, aiming at full employment and social progress, and a high level of protection and improvement of the quality of the environment. It shall promote scientific and technological advance. It shall combat social exclusion and discrimination, and shall promote social justice and protection, equality between women and men, solidarity between generations and protection of the rights of the child. It shall promote economic, social and territorial cohesion, and solidarity among Member States. It shall respect its rich cultural and linguistic diversity, and shall ensure that Europe's cultural heritage is safeguarded and enhanced.

The full employment is their new objective. Article 166 has a section about the EU funding vocational training courses.

Dont forget folks - both sides welcome to thbon sbon Talk this coming Tuesday in the main WIT Auditorium at 7.30pm. Get your questions answered. :)

Sully wrote: »
    1) You were asked to vote again in other treatys,
    2)
    You are being asked to vote again because the Yes side did a ****e job at explaining, and according to research, the large majority voted no because of this,
    3) The No side started a compain based on 100% bull**** and misquotes. They used scare tactics into getting everyone to vote no. A lot of people believed them, so the government asked the EU to create legal guarntes about certain things. They are rather pointless because they have no point - neither of the guarntss have aanything to do with Lisbon in the first place. There just accepting why folk said no and making it clear it wont happen (not that it ever would have).
    4) You would be voting with complete nut job groups and partys ost off you would not even consider for a vote in a local, general or europea electioon.
    5) Your forgetting that Declan Gnley nnver toook "No" for an answer, yet is being welcomed back with open arms. :p
    5) Also, the No campaigners have voted no to pretty much every EU treaty including joining the EU.

Incorrect. What you are confusing here is the reference to the "Common Tax Base". What it doesn't do is change the actual rate at which Corporation Tax is at in any country. It would fix exactly counts as income and what counts as expenses for a company.

Its also part of those famous guarntees, which ar silly. YYou know, the ones which clarify something that isnt actually true.

ncorrerrect. Spain has a deep history of unemployment and was hit by the recession like everyone else. Regardless of how things went with accepting Lisbon - the treaty was never ratified. It could not be ratified because of our no vote. Therefore, Lisbon clearly had no effect on Spain because it never came into effect. We are still on the Niece treaty folks.

How does it stink and how is it flawed? Its the same treaty but people voted "No" because of misinformation and anger at the government. Thats fact. Now people areing aing at the treaty, comparing arguments and doing their own basic research and deciding then which way to go. This time the majority wont vote to piss of Finna Fail (like Sinn Feintellitelling peop do)ooff off and it has been explained a bit better then last time which is what the people asked for. People voting "No" because they believe what the "No" side said and never did their own research, or because they want to piss of FF - "would want to get their heads checked".

True, but it will effect us imo. I cant honestly agree tha EUhe EU will accept they need to re-draft the treaty because of us. I believe something will change which will effect us. Sad, but true. We are voting No for daft reasons - why should they do it all over? Regardless, SF and the other nut jobs will make up more bull**** and lies that will bring us back around in the same circle.

Your point? Thats the whole advantage of the Een heen here in Waterford more and more businesses are shutting down and moving to a lower cost base. Blame our government - not the EU.

Article 3 TEU:

The full employment is their new objective. Article 166 has a section about the EU funding vocational training courses.

Dont forget folks - both sides welcome to thbon sbon Talk this coming Tuesday in the main WIT Auditorium at 7.30pm. Get your questions answered. :)

cool.

that article in no way answers my question, its just fluff,poltical jargon and means nothing to normal people. A speech compiled by some overpaid politician somewhere. Not convincing at all. as for vocational training courses......................I dont need a course I need a job. I just think its bull, the country is at an all time high in regard to unemployment, are we meant to believe they have a shedload of jobs hidden til we comply and vote yes.

• Advertisement

cool.

that article in no way answers my question, its just fluff,poltical jargon and means nothing to normal people. A speech compiled by some overpaid politician somewhere. Not convincing at all. as for vocational training courses......................I dont need a course I need a job. I just think its bull, the country is at an all time high in regard to unemployment, are we meant to believe they have a shedload of jobs hidden til we comply and vote yes.

I guess the whole EU and how it works helps us get jobs more easily, but the Yes side are correct in their statement. It might be "fluff", but its still true. :)

The Yes side has never been a great campaign though. Online and some canvassers or public debates are the best way of learning imo.

As for high unemployment - ya, thats why we have a general election. Blame FF, not the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

ryanair boss michael o leary is prepared to back the yes vote to the tune of 500,000euro .when i saw him backing the yes vote i decided ill be voting no!

What a pathetic reason to vote no on an issue as important as this. Don't be so lazy, inform yourself, then vote.

Who gives a fvck what Michael O' Leary does!

I guess the whole EU and how it works helps us get jobs more easily, but the Yes side are correct in their statement. It might be "fluff", but its still true. :)

The Yes side has never been a great campaign though. Online and some canvassers or public debates are the best way of learning imo.

As for high unemployment - ya, thats why we have a general election. Blame FF, not the EU.

Ah I honestly just think its rubbish ya know. Still a big No for me anyway. Not blaming the EU never said I was did I?? Quote me if I did. I just believe the yes to jobs is complete rubbish. I`ll believe its true when 1 person I know gets a job as a result of it if yes gets the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mickdots wrote: »
    spain did this and unemployment rose from8% to 18% after the ratifcation of the lisbon treaty

Our unemployment rose after we rejected the treaty. Where does that leave your theory?

Ah I honestly just think its rubbish ya know. Still a big No for me anyway. Not blaming the EU never said I was did I?? Quote me if I did. I just believe the yes to jobs is complete rubbish. I`ll believe its true when 1 person I know gets a job as a result of it if yes gets the vote.

But why are you voting no? A lot of what the No side have said has been proven to be complete rubbish. Some of what the Yes side is over stating something and poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

I suppose the reason that I am voting 'No' is democracy. I voted 'No' the first time and the EUnuchs did not respect my vote. So f*ck 'em! The same lying politicians (Ahern, Cowen, Martin, Roche, DeRossa and the rest of them) who have no respect for the democratically expressed will of the Irish people and who drove the country into the ground want a Yes vote. So guess what - they can go FOAD.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    I suppose the reason that I am voting 'No' is democracy. I voted 'No' the first time and the EUnuchs did not respect my vote. So f*ck 'em! The same lying politicians (Ahern, Cowen, Martin, Roche, DeRossa and the rest of them) who have no respect for the democratically expressed will of the Irish people and who drove the country into the ground want a Yes vote. So guess what - they can go FOAD.

Regards...jmcc

The main opposition wants a Yes vote though. The loonies and groups generally people have refused each time at the election (Sinn Fein, Libertas etc) keep coming back. Its not like the "No" side listened to Democracy, yet keep calling for a "No" vote.

I personally think its a bit sad if people wont leave their anger for FF to the elections (it would be great) and consider why the people voted No and accept that the government and EU folks have taken this into consideration when going back with a new vote. Democracy at its best imo - anybody who suggest otherwise isnt seeing the full picture or is with the "anti EU" bunch.

But why are you voting no? A lot of what the No side have said has been proven to be complete rubbish. Some of what the Yes side is over stating something and poor.

Im voting no because I dont agree with a lot of the directives in place in other eu countries and I dont want them rushed through here. Also I see no point in giving away power in our own country, its a cop out for the government here. Anything that goes to **** then cant be blamed on policy in the eu not the Irish. The lads here will pick and choose stuff they want brought in to suit them and lay blame at the door of somebody else. No thanks. As for jobs, if those other eu countries are so great, why are so many foreigners coming to ireland for a better standard of life?

I agree with you,Its a bribe that they cannot under any circumstances guarantee.They are trying to use scare mongering to make Irish vote yes.
    Vote yes get jobs vote No you are stuffed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Our unemployment rose after we rejected the treaty. Where does that leave your theory?

Nothing to do with voting no.They did not to get to vote in the other EU countries and they are no better off then we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement