Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen on Late Late

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 unemployed

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of watchin the TV3 program about how we blew the money from the boom.

I also had the pleasure of watching Cowen on the Late Late interview.In which he stated the country was costing 55billion and they were takin in 30billion......

Maybe it is just me or is it perhaps time to tell the Government they are living way beyond their means and it's time to tighten their belt.They have already taken their pound of flesh out of peoples pockets. They are still spending like we are in a boom, no change. NAMA will be the same, they will spend over the odds and we will be told to tighten our belts because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

unemployed wrote: »
    Yesterday, I had the pleasure of watchin the TV3 program about how we blew the money from the boom.

I also had the pleasure of watching Cowen on the Late Late interview.In which he stated the country was costing 55billion and they were takin in 30billion......

Maybe it is just me or is it perhaps time to tell the Government they are living way beyond their means and it's time to tighten their belt.They have already taken their pound of flesh out of peoples pockets. They are still spending like we are in a boom, no change. NAMA will be the same, they will spend over the odds and we will be told to tighten our belts because of it.

Mixed Metaphor of the Year Award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

jmayo wrote: »
    No you do not come out explicitly and excuse his salary, but you do question how large it really is against the salaries (plus perks) that the leaders of USA, France and UK get.
    Thus it appeared to me (and possibly to some other posters around here) that you are trying to play down how much Clowen is actaully getting in real terms.
    Then you drag in possible speaking fees that these leaders may get in future.
    Again you are trying to make it appear as if our leader is getting much lower than these other leaders, if you break it down over many years into the future.

To most people I would bet your post looked like an excuse for his large salary, unlike your susbequent post where you actaully acknowledged that him and the other Irish politicans are over paid.

I came out explicity about the crap uninformed people go on about and explained that not all figures are equal and you need to look at the overall package before making wild claims about pay levels in any sector.

Irish people have this anti-politician "we hate all politicians" "all politicians are chancers" "politicians are monkeys" attitude and seem to prefer to believe rubbish written in such journals as the evening hysterical & irish daily sh1te rather than do a few minutes research of the facts.

Maybe if we had respect for the work most (not all) politicians do from all sides, then maybe one day adult debate can be had.

But until people stop their unfounded generalisations which are never backed up by any facts, there can never be proper debate on politicians and as such anything the politicians do is rubbished and if they did "reform" then a crowd of blabblers would find a problem with that too.

Note - comments are about politics in general and not party specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

darc wrote: »
    I came out explicity about the crap uninformed people go on about and explained that not all figures are equal
    Of course not all figures are equal. However do you not accept that the politicians responsible for creating and maintaining the bubble ( through tax reliefs such as continually extending section 27 deadlines etc etc ) , and who failed to get the central bank and regulator etc to regulate the other banks, have a lot to answer for? Do you not accept we have far too many politicians in this country, given the population / ratio in other countries ? And why is Cowen paid more than Obama or the president of the UK, France or Germany ? Who was minister for finance during the bubble ?

jimmmy wrote: »
    Of course not all figures are equal. However do you not accept that the politicians responsible for creating and maintaining the bubble ( through tax reliefs such as continually extending section 27 deadlines etc etc ) , and who failed to get the central bank and regulator etc to regulate the other banks, have a lot to answer for? Do you not accept we have far too many politicians in this country, given the population / ratio in other countries ? And why is Cowen paid more than Obama or the president of the UK, France or Germany ? Who was minister for finance during the bubble ?

I absolutley do blame politicians & banks (particularly banks and their 100% mortgages and feck all checks on income). I blame the financial regulator for not reeling in the banks and as I said above we do need to cut the numebr of politicians at ALL levels and particularly at local council level.

As for Cowen being paid more than Obams / Brown & Merkel - you have to look at the total package in all case. He's up there but not above. A raesonable cut should be made, but we still need to have politics an attractive option for the brainier types in our colleges.

We are now in a period where things can change - the new banking regulator is a particulary good move. Lets get politicians expenses properly vouched and salaries moved in line with the times we're in. Lets get NAMA off the ground and lets get money going back into business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

unemployed wrote: »

You must be a bit of a sado-masochist if you get pleasure watching the ould biffo or how wasteful his government was :mad:
    I came out explicity about the crap uninformed people go on about and explained that not all figures are equal and you need to look at the overall package before making wild claims about pay levels in any sector.

Irish people have this anti-politician "we hate all politicians" "all politicians are chancers" "politicians are monkeys" attitude and seem to prefer to believe rubbish written in such journals as the evening hysterical & irish daily sh1te rather than do a few minutes research of the facts.

Maybe if we had respect for the work most (not all) politicians do from all sides, then maybe one day adult debate can be had.

But until people stop their unfounded generalisations which are never backed up by any facts, there can never be proper debate on politicians and as such anything the politicians do is rubbished and if they did "reform" then a crowd of blabblers would find a problem with that too.

Note - comments are about politics in general and not party specific.

Of course the comments are about politics in general (see next post) :rolleyes:

Ah come on you are skirting around the point.
    You are correct you never explicitly came out and said you agreed with his salary, but you are defending it by making statements about how many perks and benefits the other leaders have.
    These other leaders are actually leaders of a superpower and G8 nations with some of the biggest economies in the world and with much bigger populations.

What about the perks el biffo has ?
    You have a dislike of the media and the way they treat politicans hmmmm.
    Why do I detect someone related to a politician ?

Did you ever wonder why Irish people have a disdain and huge loathing for Irish politicans ?
    Have you ever followed the tribunals ?
    Sadly the good ones are tarred with the same brush, but the main culprits are ff and they are the ones that have been in government since 1997 and they are ones that ramped up both their own and the general public sector salaries.

BTW aren't the worst blabblers actaully politicans ?
    Ever heard bertie talk ? :rolleyes:
    I absolutley do blame politicians & banks (particularly banks and their 100% mortgages and feck all checks on income). I blame the financial regulator for not reeling in the banks and as I said above we do need to cut the numebr of politicians at ALL levels and particularly at local council level.

As for Cowen being paid more than Obams / Brown & Merkel - you have to look at the total package in all case. He's up there but not above. A raesonable cut should be made, but we still need to have politics an attractive option for the brainier types in our colleges.

Yes lets look at the total package, but why are you comparing his package to that of a leader of a superpower and members of the G8 group of nations ?

FFS these countries have economies and populations many multiples of our own, yet their leaders financial remuneration is being compared, actually rather favourably by you, to our leaders package.
    It would be one thing to compare him to leaders of comparable countries e.g New Zeland, Finland or Denmark.
    But you find reasons why his package is not that great when you add in all the perks of say Obama, Brown or Merkel.
    Spot the difference between your stated countries and the ones I mention above :rolleyes:

Note: I use the word leader loosely in that last sentence since clowen couldn't lead a pi** up in James Gate.

We are now in a period where things can change - the new banking regulator is a particulary good move. Lets get politicians expenses properly vouched and salaries moved in line with the times we're in. Lets get NAMA off the ground and lets get money going back into business.

Isn't that the ff take on it these days, to cut councils/councillors since they no longer have as many of them ?

Ahh hello there ...
    Lets get NAMA off the ground :rolleyes:
    Would this money back into business be the 30 billion that frankie landlord fahey mentioned ? :rolleyes:

The veil finally slips :D
    How many non vested interests these days are pro NAMA ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    It would be one thing to compare him to leaders of comparable countries e.g New Zeland, Finland or Denmark.
    But you find reasons why his package is not that great when you add in all the perks of say Obama, Brown or Merkel.
    Spot the difference between your stated countries and the ones I mention above :rolleyes:

Note: I use the word leader loosely in that last sentence since clowen couldn't lead a pi** up in James Gate.

Isn't that the ff take on it these days, to cut councils/councillors since they no longer have as many of them ?

Ahh hello there ...
    Lets get NAMA off the ground :rolleyes:
    Would this money back into business be the 30 billion that frankie landlord fahey mentioned ? :rolleyes:

The veil finally slips :D
    How many non vested interests these days are pro NAMA ?

#1 - I have no relations family or otherwise in politics.
    #2 - I have a business and would love to expand it which would mean approx, another 8 - 10 employees (I have 12 at present) but to do the expansion I want requires approx 100k in funding and this is simply not available at present.
    #3 - yes I do support NAMA (I have no connection to the building / banking sector in any form) For the mess we're in, it a very good concept (have you read ALL the details and not just the FG rubbish?) and should get banks lending in some form again.
    #4 - I have always been of the opinion that there are too many councils with jobs for their relatives (all parties) Why does Nebridge need a seperate Town Council when its 2 miles from Naas. Whay does Naas need a town council when Kildare CC is based in the bloody town? Whay does Carlow need a Town Council & a county council? - repeat for most small towns in the country.

and finally - as you're request, compare Cowen's package with a similar country like New Zealand - NZ = $393,000 + Tax Free pension @ 40% of salary + 90% rebate on ALL air travel for life. - Just a little above your incorrect tabloid figure of €80k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

#1 - I have no relations family or otherwise in politics.
    #2 - I have a business and would love to expand it which would mean approx, another 8 - 10 employees (I have 12 at present) but to do the expansion I want requires approx 100k in funding and this is simply not available at present.
    #3 - yes I do support NAMA (I have no connection to the building / banking sector in any form) For the mess we're in, it a very good concept (have you read ALL the details and not just the FG rubbish?) and should get banks lending in some form again.
    #4 - I have always been of the opinion that there are too many councils with jobs for their relatives (all parties) Why does Nebridge need a seperate Town Council when its 2 miles from Naas. Whay does Naas need a town council when Kildare CC is based in the bloody town? Whay does Carlow need a Town Council & a county council? - repeat for most small towns in the country.

and finally - as you're request, compare Cowen's package with a similar country like New Zealand - NZ = $393,000 + Tax Free pension @ 40% of salary + 90% rebate on ALL air travel for life. - Just a little above your incorrect tabloid figure of €80k

I agree we need to start banks lending, but why does that have to mean mean that the taxpayers carry the entire cost of the mess.
    They are they the ones left with the crap worthless loans, all the while allowing the shareholders and bondholders remain with something and even worse it appears the banks are willing to keep the insolvent developers in business on some idiotic hope that the property bubble inflates again and property is back to 2006/2007 values ?

If your business was insolvent would the bank guarantee to lend you money, that wasn't lending to anyone else, in the off chance that your business would suddenly starting selling your products, which nobody actaully wants ?

I agree about cutting all the mickie mouse town councils, etc.

BTW the NZ $ is worth half a euro, they have less politicans and ministers.
    If you ever had to fly into or out of NZ you could see why their air travel is subsidised.
    The NZ parliament has around 120 members with no upper house since it got the chop in the 50s.
    They have no president.
    AFAIK they have 11 ministers and one of those is for the bloody Rugby World Cup :D

Nearly every member of ff is either a minister, jnr minister or chariman of a bloody committee. :mad:

BTW did I ever say they got €80k ?
    NO.
    Someone else posted that, so please refrain from incorectly attributing incorrect statements to me. :mad:

What I have taken issue with you all along is comparing our gombeen with the leaders of G8 countries :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Would those "facts" include Bertie's dodgy finances, John O'Donoghue's expenses, all the waste highlighted on the TV3 programme, etc ?

Y'see there are lots of facts available to show that the views that you dismissively put in quotes are 100% accurate.

And maybe if the politicians stopped defending the indefensible and actually did their jobs (reading reports, making sensible decisions, evicting chancers and con-men, firing so-called "regulators" and "advisors" that don't do their jobs) then we WOULD have respect for them. I know I would.

But evicting someone dodgy from a party involves losing a seat, and they're more interested in keeping a majority at all costs; and whatever about any few decent politicians, clamping down on crazy expense accounts and lowering their pay to a sustainable level involves making decisions that they're not prepared to make.
    But until people stop their unfounded generalisations which are never backed up by any facts...

No unfounded generalisations above; all facts. So your point is ?

Advertisement