Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Tipperary towns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

You make a point that 'Tipperary town is deadly', then you back that up with rubbish grammar, it doesn't make much sense.

A good amount of people on Boards use correct grammar and will correct you if you're wrong. I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest. Does that mean they're all 'Geek'(s) too? :pac:

Do they also have nothing constructive to add other then to highlight the fact that they can use 'spell check' .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motipp

By ancient decree, Tipp has two 'Ridings' -North (Thurles, Nenagh and the like) are in the Mid- West Region which is where County Tipperary is situated in this Forum. But Tipp Town, Carrick etc are in South Tipp which is in South East Region. As anyone from either one or the other knows they are worlds apart!! If you're from Tipp Town...you meet somebidy who says they're from the county...you ask them where exactly they are from...they reply Nenagh...the eyes glaze over, they might as well be from Bohola for all it means.

So - to the Moderator or whoever, recognize Tipps 'ethnic divide' and divide us into its independent South East and Mid West Republics on this Forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Clonmel is a great town, its got great shops, all the supermarkets, diy stores, restaurants, pubs etc.

It does need a real night club,

its got a few arseholes who tend to give it a bad name but if you are in town to do your shopping or having a night out,i doubt you will come across the scum as they tend to hang out in the lane ways of housing estates and sleep under stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

toomevara wrote: »
    Nenagh? Are you quite mad!!!!! Born and bred there. living away, but everytyime I return home the slide toward every greater sh1tholery continues apace. A cesspit, which on Saturday night is the closest thing you'll get to a bad night in Baghdad without getting sand in your shoes..dear lord I'd rather spend a night in Kabul....dressed as a lady boy...wearing a 'feck Osama Bin Laden' T-shirt....carrying an american flag....

Well that is just ridiculously over the top. Compared to other towns in Tipperary, Nenagh is grand. I never see any bother when i go out in Nenagh. Dont get us bad mouthing Toomevara now? I was out there recently, Scum bags chasing taxis out of the place.

Nenagh is a great town with great people, Im sure Toomevara has great people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

ztoical wrote: »
    bypassed by the celtic tiger maybe but they also aren't feeling the hurt now as a much some other places so it works both ways.
    good point.
    i'm a carrick man and i don't see much difference between the town now and when it was "good"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

toomevara wrote: »
    Nenagh? Are you quite mad!!!!! Born and bred there. living away, but everytyime I return home the slide toward every greater sh1tholery continues apace. A cesspit, which on Saturday night is the closest thing you'll get to a bad night in Baghdad without getting sand in your shoes..dear lord I'd rather spend a night in Kabul....dressed as a lady boy...wearing a 'feck Osama Bin Laden' T-shirt....carrying an american flag....

What did you do to make the town better while you were there. It seems you bitch and moan to much for a mod of a rugby forum:D

BTW why did you call yourself Toomevara? Just curious??

Nenagh is a great town, it has it's few knackers about the place, but for a town 0f nearly 8,000 it's not as bad as towns with simular populations.

The biggest problem in Nenagh, is dereliction and underuse of some great sites. Such as the Castle, Town hall, Scouts hall(which needs knocking and rebuilding) Emmet street etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

motipp wrote: »
    By ancient decree, Tipp has two 'Ridings' -North (Thurles, Nenagh and the like) are in the Mid- West Region which is where County Tipperary is situated in this Forum. But Tipp Town, Carrick etc are in South Tipp which is in South East Region. As anyone from either one or the other knows they are worlds apart!! If you're from Tipp Town...you meet somebidy who says they're from the county...you ask them where exactly they are from...they reply Nenagh...the eyes glaze over, they might as well be from Bohola for all it means.

So - to the Moderator or whoever, recognize Tipps 'ethnic divide' and divide us into its independent South East and Mid West Republics on this Forum...
    Well said. I've always thought of Tipperary as being a non-entity. Its North Tipp and South Tipp. Technically two different counties made into one. Ye should just separate and get it over with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

grenache wrote: »
    Well said. I've always thought of Tipperary as being a non-entity. Its North Tipp and South Tipp. Technically two different counties made into one. Ye should just separate and get it over with :)

And Limerick still wouldnt get within 15 points of either team ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

And Limerick still wouldnt get within 15 points of either team ;)
    Well that is true. I wont argue with you there premier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Nenagh is grand to a certain degree but it seirously has nothing going for it!The only main attraction in that place is the cinema and lets face it,they should have torn that dump down!I worked there and I never want to set foot in the place again,plus the fact that they bring in movies a month later than everywhere else dosen't help matters..
    The night club is a dive and there is way too many wannabe scumbags roaming the streets of Nenagh or they are anchored outside Supermacs poncing cigarettes or €2 off anyone they seem to think would give them the time of day.Alcoholism seems to be on the rise amongst the young of Nenagh(that includes me) and that's only out of sheer boredom..there's nothing really aimed at young people and the town would bore you to tears.
    Having said all that though,my best friends are here and without them I'd be driven scatty!There is alot of nice people in the town but lack of activites besides the pub really is a major let down for the place..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

We are getting the uk yob culture in this culture,id say the young people drink cans not in pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 24 patfol

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Nenagh is grand to a certain degree but it seirously has nothing going for it!The only main attraction in that place is the cinema and lets face it,they should have torn that dump down!I worked there and I never want to set foot in the place again,plus the fact that they bring in movies a month later than everywhere else dosen't help matters..
    The night club is a dive and there is way too many wannabe scumbags roaming the streets of Nenagh or they are anchored outside Supermacs poncing cigarettes or €2 off anyone they seem to think would give them the time of day.Alcoholism seems to be on the rise amongst the young of Nenagh(that includes me) and that's only out of sheer boredom..there's nothing really aimed at young people and the town would bore you to tears.
    Having said all that though,my best friends are here and without them I'd be driven scatty!There is alot of nice people in the town but lack of activites besides the pub really is a major let down for the place..

Off topic a bit I know but could anyone tell me what the weather and driving conditions are like in and around Nenagh today (and earlier this morning) Cancelled a trip there due to weather conditions and just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

late at night i dunno if theres any decent town in Ireland not alone in Tipp.
    the scum have largely taken a strangle-hold on most communities, at least after sundown, they show no respect, no tolerance, ambition or aspiration.
    Tis a sad state of affairs.

patfol wrote: »
    Off topic a bit I know but could anyone tell me what the weather and driving conditions are like in and around Nenagh today (and earlier this morning) Cancelled a trip there due to weather conditions and just curious

Depends on what way you were coming from..main roads seem to be ok but I wouldn't be able to tell you about country or secondary roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Fionn wrote: »
    the scum have largely taken a strangle-hold on most communities, at least after sundown, they show no respect, no tolerance, ambition or aspiration.

I agree 100% with that post.I was watching a programme on TV3 last night...Lawless Ireland...I think.....It was crazy viewing. What is the bloody answer...What will it be like in another few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

DT100 wrote: »
    I agree 100% with that post.I was watching a programme on TV3 last night...Lawless Ireland...I think.....It was crazy viewing. What is the bloody answer...What will it be like in another few years?

I was watching it too. The Trinity college proffessor thinks it'll get worse before it'll get better. That we've to hit rock bottom first. It's frightning in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Someone ring Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Fionn wrote: »

Certainly haven't noticed it being any worse now than it was back in the 80s or 90s. Here in the Thurles area at least there has always been a trouble-making element, but it's not confined to a particular age group or era. At least the pitch battles that used to take place in the swimming pool car park have stopped. Fights have always been going on outside Supermacs or in Hayes's lane, it's nothing new. My car broke down last week (after dark - scary...) in Aldi carpark - a gang of what you might describe as scum from Monakeeba couldn't do enough to help me and get me moving again. Respect and tolerance go both ways.

Your sad not the town of Nenagh.

If your going to describe a town based on having a cinema, I'm glad your not around this town.

There is a world out there besides hollywood and movies ya know. Get real wuold you.

mysterious wrote: »
    Your sad not the town of Nenagh.

If your going to describe a town based on having a cinema, I'm glad your not around this town.

There is a world out there besides hollywood and movies ya know. Get real wuold you.

Oh deary me!Must not be in touch with reality!GET REAL!Re read the post in the context that there is nothing to do in Nenagh!!And yeah I know there's a world out there besides Hollywood!!!God you must think I am some uncultured bint who hasn't been two miles the far side of a cow****!Wrong!Been to manys a country and happy enough to have gotten out of the cesspit that is Nenagh for awhile!
    So get the idea out of your head that I am "sad".The only thing Nenagh is good for is driving people away or driving them to tears.
    All I am saying is that the place has nothing going for it and on friday nights those who aren't old enough to go to Maximus or any other ****ty pubs in the town are stuck in there watching the same films they saw the week before!And half of them are kicked out because the owner or the manager didn't like the cut of em!!AND I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WORKED THERE FOR TWO SOLID YEARS!!Seirously the town has no other amenities for teenagers and then people wonder why teenage alcoholism has risen in the area!It's always been the way for years!There wasn't a weekend gone by that you wouldn't have found gangs of kids hanging around the castle field drinking and doing God knows what..
    Go out to the railway yard on a Friday or Saturday night now and you'll see the ditches crawling with teenagers downing cider or Bavaria like there's no tomorrow!
    Nenagh is far from a scum hole but there has been a rise in depression in the place and a rise of alcoholism..there is nothing to do in the place unless you are into sports and come on..not everyone in Nenagh is into sports and those of us who don't want to be found drinking on a Monday night are bored out of our skulls!!I am not sad and I am not basing Nenagh town around the cinema.I am merely pointing out that that's all there seems to be in the town besides pubs!If you wanna be proud of Nenagh go ahead I am not stopping ya but I am entitled to my opinion!I have lived here all my freaking life and its wonder I am even left with a stitch of sanity!My friends live here and only for them I would be stone cracked!
    The place is the most depressing and motivationless pimple on the country.People losing their jobs left,right and centre,courses being closed and cancelled due to lack of funding,FAS can't offer anything either!I know this is the story with every town in Ireland but I know that an awful lot more towns around the country have alot going for them!Nenagh is just falling to the way side!
    So read my posts carefully before you make an opinion.Because I am far from sad and if I am sad..THE TOWN MADE ME SAD because lets face it NENAGH IS SAD!Now in your own words..get real would you??

• Advertisement

check out Fethard - i am not from there so no bias. its got it all - community spirit, arts, history, a good festival, McCarthy's bar, the road to Killenaule...I could go on.:)

tippspur wrote: »
    I think this has been done before,or something similar,

you're right - there was a previous thread. On it i asked why all of Tipp is in the 'mid west' forum when everybody knows there are 'two tipps' - north and south which are poles apart. Ask a man from fethard 'do you know maryann from nenagh'...you might as well be enquiring about his knowledge of letterkenny. so i repeat my request to the Boards editors...leave north tipp in the mid west forum, but resettle us southsiders to the south east forum where we belong.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Certainly haven't noticed it being any worse now than it was back in the 80s or 90s.

Point noted, however back in the late seventies - early eighties things were slightly different, sure there were fights and all sorts of carry on (i can only speak for Clonmel) i'm sure it was the same elsewhere, but we didn't have people shooting up heroin down laneways or snorting coke in the pub/club toilets, all that much back then. The drug culture has turned most irish towns into really viscious and dangerous places, like the amount of unsolved murders in Clonmel is frightening, compared to the eighties.

Oh deary me!Must not be in touch with reality!GET REAL!Re read the post in the context that there is nothing to do in Nenagh!!And yeah I know there's a world out there besides Hollywood!!!God you must think I am some uncultured bint who hasn't been two miles the far side of a cow****!Wrong!Been to manys a country and happy enough to have gotten out of the cesspit that is Nenagh for awhile!
    So get the idea out of your head that I am "sad".The only thing Nenagh is good for is driving people away or driving them to tears.
    All I am saying is that the place has nothing going for it and on friday nights those who aren't old enough to go to Maximus or any other ****ty pubs in the town are stuck in there watching the same films they saw the week before!And half of them are kicked out because the owner or the manager didn't like the cut of em!!AND I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WORKED THERE FOR TWO SOLID YEARS!!Seirously the town has no other amenities for teenagers and then people wonder why teenage alcoholism has risen in the area!It's always been the way for years!There wasn't a weekend gone by that you wouldn't have found gangs of kids hanging around the castle field drinking and doing God knows what..
    Go out to the railway yard on a Friday or Saturday night now and you'll see the ditches crawling with teenagers downing cider or Bavaria like there's no tomorrow!
    Nenagh is far from a scum hole but there has been a rise in depression in the place and a rise of alcoholism..there is nothing to do in the place unless you are into sports and come on..not everyone in Nenagh is into sports and those of us who don't want to be found drinking on a Monday night are bored out of our skulls!!I am not sad and I am not basing Nenagh town around the cinema.I am merely pointing out that that's all there seems to be in the town besides pubs!If you wanna be proud of Nenagh go ahead I am not stopping ya but I am entitled to my opinion!I have lived here all my freaking life and its wonder I am even left with a stitch of sanity!My friends live here and only for them I would be stone cracked!
    The place is the most depressing and motivationless pimple on the country.People losing their jobs left,right and centre,courses being closed and cancelled due to lack of funding,FAS can't offer anything either!I know this is the story with every town in Ireland but I know that an awful lot more towns around the country have alot going for them!Nenagh is just falling to the way side!
    So read my posts carefully before you make an opinion.Because I am far from sad and if I am sad..THE TOWN MADE ME SAD because lets face it NENAGH IS SAD!Now in your own words..get real would you??

The town has lots of amenities, you just have no imagination or anything to create with your life.

You want someone else to give you entertainment. For the town of its size it has facilities towns with populations at least 3 times bigger.

Now the world isn't sad, you are sad and you make the world sad, with your sadness.

Get real like I said. Bear in mind I did not read the rest of your post. Its complete tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Clonmel isn't the best to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Clonmel isn't the best to be fair.

concise and to the point, good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

:)
    what's the best town between Limerick and Nenagh, with a good primary and secondary school? I work on that end of Limerick and am ready to make a move. I'm open to anywhere but completely vulnerable as I'm a blow in! I have 3 impressionable young boys to consider. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

supermommy wrote: »
    :)
    what's the best town between Limerick and Nenagh, with a good primary and secondary school? I work on that end of Limerick and am ready to make a move. I'm open to anywhere but completely vulnerable as I'm a blow in! I have 3 impressionable young boys to consider. Any opinions?

Would I be right in saying Killaloe and Ballina are the only towns between Limerick and Nenagh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

tech2 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying Killaloe and Ballina are the only towns between Limerick and Nenagh?

Newport - Silvermines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Deedsie wrote: »
    Silvermines?

Forgot about Newport, is Silvermines a town?

Advertisement