Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Tipperary towns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Someone is taking this a bit too seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Someone is taking this a bit too seriously..

I would not agree, I think it's great that people are passionate about their convictions especially when they are well motivated and coming from a good place. So well done to everybody who has put some positive effort into this thread. I deplore posters of glib one liners being thanked!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yep. Judging from this thread, Tipp should definitely be split in two!

Most of the North Tipp folk i know have rarely ventured into southern territory, and vice versa for the South Tipp people im acquainted with.

Think we're all agreed though that Tipp Town wins this contest by some considerable distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

grenache wrote: »

Think we're all agreed though that Tipp Town wins this contest by some considerable distance!

For the best or worst though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just been reading through the thread and cannot believe Roscre has only been mentioned three times and only in passing at that.

It's an absolute heckhole. There isn't even a decent pub anymore, only one restaurant if you don't like eating the greasy chinese food that's on offer and let's face the Italian is dyer as well. The food is okay but the service is at a snails pace.

Full of bookies with a load of particular people hanging around outside it and the bleedin' pens in them are devoid of ink.

Not one half decent cafe in it, The Rosewood is depressing.

The Tesco in it is a kip and the big one that they are building is only going to ruin the town. Half the shops are empty or they only open for couple of months. The range of shops is poor as well.

No bookshop and the selection in the library is lacking. It does have two video stores which is weird for its size.

The school, the only secondary school in it, is over crowded and the teachers are either lacking in skills are just don't care.

It looks scruffy all the time and the architecture is depressing.
    The post office nearly closed.
    The Central House pub on the main street has been closed for years and only recently got a lick of paint.

Anywhere you go in Ireland when you mention your from Roscrea you get a look that or they just ask 'where's that?'

The church/abbey grounds are amazing though.

Apart from that the town is pretty shabby alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

toomevara wrote: »
    Nenagh? Are you quite mad!!!!! Born and bred there. living away, but everytyime I return home the slide toward every greater sh1tholery continues apace. A cesspit, which on Saturday night is the closest thing you'll get to a bad night in Baghdad without getting sand in your shoes..dear lord I'd rather spend a night in Kabul....dressed as a lady boy...wearing a 'feck Osama Bin Laden' T-shirt....carrying an american flag....

If user user name is the place you are from, then you should understand that there is a hatred from your place for Nayna and your opinion of nayna is infected with a GAA type of begrudgery.
    But to be fair if Toome was the only place where a man could get a drink, I would gladly die of thirst rather than stop there.
    That would mean I suppose that the feeling is mutual.

Its a peculiar thing though that the GAA divides communities both at parish and county level and the exact opposite is the case with Rugby.
    All can unite to support Munster.

But anyway back to the topic, I always say when I pass through Tipp town that some day I would stop for a pint in the Maid of Erin but in the last 10 years I havent done that because the vibe I get tells me I'll be better off to keep going.
    Its Tipp town for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Ildere wrote: »
    I would stop for a pint in the Maid of Erin but in the last 10 years I havent done that because the vibe I get tells me I'll be better off to keep going.
    Its Tipp town for me.

The Maid is one of the better pubs in Tipp, you should stop there, Quinnos just up from that is the one you should have the "vibe" about. In the Maid, Mike the owner and the clientele are very welcoming and it is probably the most lively pub in town. Also yes the Gaa is clannish but we are Irish and clannish by our history, and i agree that Toomevara is on a high horse with it but i assure you most towns in TS are not like that. When Dutch teams Ajax, Feyernoord and FC Utrecht meet they kick seven kinds out of eachother and they are only so far apart. Everyone may unite for Munster but they all usually fall within the same tax bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ildere wrote: »
    If user user name is the place you are from, then you should understand that there is a hatred from your place for Nayna and your opinion of nayna is infected with a GAA type of begrudgery.
    But to be fair if Toome was the only place where a man could get a drink, I would gladly die of thirst rather than stop there.
    That would mean I suppose that the feeling is mutual.

Its a peculiar thing though that the GAA divides communities both at parish and county level and the exact opposite is the case with Rugby.
    All can unite to support Munster.

But anyway back to the topic, I always say when I pass through Tipp town that some day I would stop for a pint in the Maid of Erin but in the last 10 years I havent done that because the vibe I get tells me I'll be better off to keep going.
    Its Tipp town for me.

All of this North Tipp chat is making me queazy

twistyj wrote: »
    The Maid is one of the better pubs in Tipp, you should stop there, Quinnos just up from that is the one you should have the "vibe" about. In the Maid, Mike the owner and the clientele are very welcoming and it is probably the most lively pub in town. Also yes the Gaa is clannish but we are Irish and clannish by our history, and i agree that Toomevara is on a high horse with it but i assure you most towns in TS are not like that. When Dutch teams Ajax, Feyernoord and FC Utrecht meet they kick seven kinds out of eachother and they are only so far apart. Everyone may unite for Munster but they all usually fall within the same tax bracket.
    Thanks for that and I will call to The Maid.
    I get what you say about the tax bracket But in some towns, and Nenagh is one, that does not apply and from my knowledge the same could be said of most of the Limerick clubs with one or two only exceptions filling your description.

callaway92 wrote: »
    All of this North Tipp chat is making me queazy

Big Phil is bringing us together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I have a foot in both camps. My mother was from north tipp, my dad a Clonmel man. I grew up in Clonmel and think it's a great town. There are rough areas like there are everywhere but it has lots going for it too. I love the setting at the foot of the Comeragh mountains and when I'm away from home the mountains are what I miss the most.

In north tipp I think Dromineer is lovely although it's a village rather than a town. In fact Lough Derg is the best thing about north tipp. The town are so-so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanshaMan

In defence of Tipperary Town:

Tipp Town has a Sports Complex that is the envy of every town in the county.

Tipp Town has an entertainment centre that outranks most towns and some cities in Munster - The Excel Centre in Tipperary Town.

Are we overlooking the good points and highlighting the bad points to isolate Tipp Town as the worst town in Tipperary?

On another idea........ Is it healthy for any Tipperary person to look around for the WORST in our society? Would it not benefit us more to look for the best around us?

From a personal point of view, I believe that Tipperary North and South has been sold down the river by sharper operators than Lowry. Bigger and better parliamentarians (liars in everyday dialect) have scooped the pot and left us with nothing.

How can we grow Tipperary in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Great post and can be applied to any town in Tipp or elsewhere.
    Why do we continue to constantly knock everything that is good about our town/sportsmen/lifestyle/countryside etc. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BanshaMan wrote: »

Tipp Town has an entertainment centre that outranks most towns and some cities in Munster - The Excel Centre in Tipperary Town.

Are we overlooking the good points and highlighting the bad points to isolate Tipp Town as the worst town in Tipperary?

On another idea........ Is it healthy for any Tipperary person to look around for the WORST in our society? Would it not benefit us more to look for the best around us?

From a personal point of view, I believe that Tipperary North and South has been sold down the river by sharper operators than Lowry. Bigger and better parliamentarians (liars in everyday dialect) have scooped the pot and left us with nothing.

No...It is just THAT bad I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

?

You have been in there ya?? the main stage/cinema is very uncomfortable even since it was redone, the cinemas up stairs are alot better but they dont have a great varity of films on gernerally have to travel to get most films. I hear its just about keeping afloat too might even go under i know i give out about it but its better than nothing, day one if the greedy people that own the building beside it sold that too it would have been a much better place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

MickTipp wrote: »
    i see they have a similar topic on the Limerick county forum!!

so who do ye think are the best and worst towns in tipp??

Sorry to the people living there but Tipp Town in a dive.

There are good and bad in town's,city's countries,the world over...always have been,always will be...you just hope you meet the good one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanshaMan

callaway92 wrote: »
    No...It is just THAT bad I'm afraid.

You're welcome to your opinion but tell me one thing that is bad about the Knockanrawley Resource Centre? A wonderful example of civic spirit in one of the most under-resourced areas of the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

This is a depressing thread.

Fine, Tipp town isnt great but it has been very harshly treated over the last 20years. Alot of jobs have been lost there. It certainly hasnt got much support from any of its TD's. Martin Mansergh was more interested in peace in the north than looking after his local town.

Cashel has its tourism which always guarantees investment. Thurles, Clonmel and Nenagh are big enough to look after themselves. Dont know much about Roscrea to be honest. That leaves Tipp and Carrick and it seems Tipp seems to be the target of most of the abuse I have to call it.

Its a fine town with fine people who are making a good job of very little support from outside. It has its rough element but what town doesnt anymore. Lets try support our small towns instead of walking all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Nice to hear a bit of common sense been spoken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

All the Tipp Town lads say hello!

Hello! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Carrick on-suir. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Tipp town only because its so close to Limerick but Carrick On Suir and Thurles have to be up there as well
    I take it your not a Carrick man and neither am I have dealings with the town on a weekly/daily basis and from what i can see its one of the towns thats been slated continuously for its bad behaviour and lack of business.May I say that it has a very low crime rate and that can be verified by Garda statistics.True theres no industry in the town worth mentioning with the excepyion of Glan Bia on the Clonmel Rd but you may well put that down to past Governments lack of interest in the place due mainly to its geographical location and lack of decent representatives at government level.People in Carrick had the chance to elect local TDs over the years but due to small mindedness thinking this is the situation Carrick is left in over the years.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

hello banshaman,would you know such a chap as tom quirke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

bogs wrote: »
    I take it your not a Carrick man and neither am I have dealings with the town on a weekly/daily basis and from what i can see its one of the towns thats been slated continuously for its bad behaviour and lack of business.May I say that it has a very low crime rate and that can be verified by Garda statistics.True theres no industry in the town worth mentioning with the excepyion of Glan Bia on the Clonmel Rd but you may well put that down to past Governments lack of interest in the place due mainly to its geographical location and lack of decent representatives at government level.People in Carrick had the chance to elect local TDs over the years but due to small mindedness thinking this is the situation Carrick is left in over the years.

I'd have to agree 100% with this post.
    Worked in Carrick for 4 years and I loved every minute of it.The people were very friendly and very warm.Made loads of friends there who are still friends to this day.
    Unfortunately there are no families where there is/was three generations of people who have never worked and this will make it extremely difficult to employ the current generation(that and the fact that there is no "big" employer there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

two more shops have closed in roscrea recently, then last week the rosewood cafe in the shopping centre went, the sweet shop went, news and views is closing down next.

oddly the application to turn the old tesco into a cimena was turned down, but we got a rubbish 2euro store instead.

meanwhile the new tescos remains a travesty in the middle of the town, ruining the place. how they got away with it i do not know.

in templemore, copper jacks pub has closed, joining the closed abrakebabra in the middle of the main street. there was a time when it would be unheard of for to be a closed shop bewteen the town hall and O'Dohertys, now there are three.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

two more shops have closed in roscrea recently, then last week the rosewood cafe in the shopping centre went, the sweet shop went, news and views is closing down next.

oddly the application to turn the old tesco into a cimena was turned down, but we got a rubbish 2euro store instead.

meanwhile the new tescos remains a travesty in the middle of the town, ruining the place. how they got away with it i do not know.

in templemore, copper jacks pub has closed, joining the closed abrakebabra in the middle of the main street. there was a time when it would be unheard of for to be a closed shop bewteen the town hall and O'Dohertys, now there are three.

Looks like Grove Motors out the Birr Road in Roscrea has also gone. The town is dying, its very sad. I never thought things could go this badly wrong for us. With the likes of Antigen and the meat factory it was always a busy commercial town in the past.

yes i heard about grove motors yesterday, closed overnight.

i seem to remember that there was to be a magor jobs announcement for roscrea last spring. was it in the star or tipp fm?? anyway, it didnt happen.

the antigen plant no longer has any security presence.

its not just here of course, templemore has it too as i posted before. then there is the now closed and soon to be abandoned outlet in rathdowney.

what i dont get is - who objected to the idea of a cinema where tescos used to be in roscrea shopping centre??? thats nuts.

just for comedic relief...

in templemore there are new works going on in the main street/square apparently at the behest of the NRA as the N62 goes through the town.

The idea is to prevent the random parking along the road in the middle of the square, where people park up to the broken yellow line.

So they have put in cerbing and paths (also taken out two mature trees for no reason I should add) to prevent it.

lo and behold, on saturday at noon, some old dear who would always park across from peters fruit and veg shop, right against the yellow line in the square (the boundary of the road so to speak) parked right beside the new path, thus completely blocking one side of the road. All the other motorists were giving out, but she just got out, locked up, walked across the road (not the predestrian crossing about ten feet away) and went about her shopping. Cue chaos which was only resolved when, after getting her veg, she got back in and drove away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

just for comedic relief...

in templemore there are new works going on in the main street/square apparently at the behest of the NRA as the N62 goes through the town.

The idea is to prevent the random parking along the road in the middle of the square, where people park up to the broken yellow line.

So they have put in cerbing and paths (also taken out two mature trees for no reason I should add) to prevent it.

lo and behold, on saturday at noon, some old dear who would always park across from peters fruit and veg shop, right against the yellow line in the square (the boundary of the road so to speak) parked right beside the new path, thus completely blocking one side of the road. All the other motorists were giving out, but she just got out, locked up, walked across the road (not the predestrian crossing about ten feet away) and went about her shopping. Cue chaos which was only resolved when, after getting her veg, she got back in and drove away.

Worse place I ever saw for double-parking was around the square in Cahir. Absolute abandonment of cars!

Advertisement