Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling prints in Galway?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

So I'm just wondering what the best way to go about selling prints in Galway would be?

Take them to galleries? Put them up in coffee shops with prices under them? Open a stall at a market?

Anyone ever done this before? My friends are computer geeks, not artists so I'm not in the "scene".

I don't even know if I have enough good photos yet... but I am my own worst critic as well so maybe I do. *shrug*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What kind of prints are they? Might be saleable along Eyre Square or maybe the prom for the benefit of the many walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

try selling them at the market on shop street on a saturday. plenty of coverage!
    or the new market on domnick street! Thats open everyday.
    I'm sure you could easily get a stall going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

fend wrote: »
    or the new market on domnick street!

Market on Dominick St.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Selling in the street (including at the market) without a licence is illegal, so I'm sure we can't advise you to do it here. Yes, I know there are a lot of illegal traders in Shop St on summer evenings. That's not the point.

AFAIK, licences are only issued in an annual around in about October - see the city council website for details - I hear that there is a waiting list of several years for a Saturday licence, not quite so long for Sundays.

Coffee shops might work, some do have 'em.

Internet? ...E-bay?

I wouldn't advise the car-boot sales you see advertised here, they're populated with buyers looking for bargain, not leisure-purchase buyers.

The indoor market - check it out. You'd need to weigh up the cost of a stall vs the likelihood of selling. But it might start to get more visitors as the weather gets worse.

Could you do a family and friends and boardsies "viewing" in somewhere? (a cafe or the social space?) ... promote it hard (I'll give you an two hours of my time putting up posters in the city centre if you want), see what interest you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

The new indoor market on Domnick street, across from WeCare Pharmacy. There are posters dotted around the area giving information on how to go about getting a stall in there. I'd check it out, might be worth the look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think probably what I'd like to do is have an "exhibition" in a coffee shop and leave the photos up for a while with the prices. This is what a lot of people seemed to do in Montreal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming :)

Advertisement