Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights in the sky over Dublin Bay

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We (there were 3 of us!) were coming back home on the back roads from Lucan to Ongar at around 23:15 tonight (Friday 4th Sept) when we spotted 6 or 7 bright orange lights in the sky. They were in the direction of Dublin Bay, heading away from us and were quite low in the sky. We pulled over and watched as they changed formation and disappeared one by one. This all happened in the space of a couple of minutes. Any ideas what they were? Did anyone else see them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theloanarranger

4th Sept 21:30 to 21:34 Celbridge, Co Kildare:
    I saw 3 orange lights in the skies flying in an easterly direction tonight. When I first spotted them I was standing in my driveway. They were flying much lower than commercial aircraft and I imagined I was seeing some kind of after-burner coming from the back of military planes. However they flew past with absolutely no sound. They were travelling at a leisurely pace, faster than helicopters but slow for jets. My perception was that they were very close to me when I first spotted them. They were in line with overhead power cables that were about 30 metres from where I was standing when I first noticed them. I'm sure some mathematician can calculate their actual height based on this.

The lead object seemed to stay about 30 seconds in front. The second object was flying at the same altitude, whereas the 3rd object was directly above the second and travelling at the same speed as the second object. I called my wife and children out to have a look and we followed the lights for several minutes. They appeared to be flying in a fairly definite formation and heading for north Co Dublin. I would find it hard to believe that these were weather balloons or Chinese lanterns. I thought of Baldonnell but I don't think the Air Corps boys have anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

It sounds like something that was posted before. If i can recall correctly, they concluded it was Chinese lanterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7nQU7iaCg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ntrundle

They were definitely moving too fast to be Chinese lanterns! And plus they weren't all traveling in the same direction as would be the case with lanterns blowing on the wind? But thanks for the reply anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crabbypatty

hey ntrundle,

there where 15-20 chinese lanterns floating over the ongar area tonight around 11pm-ish, maybe that might explain what you saw??..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

My boyfriend noticed these too and called me out. Looked like quite a few of them and to us it looked like they were going in the same direction.
    Any idea why someone was releasing the lanterns tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I love the defence of chinease lanters, but this many sightings in the last few days seems a bit mad to me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Was from ongar a mate of mine spotted 4 "fireball" like lights moving across the sky. He was positive they were not coming from a light source on the ground, he couldn't even descripe properly what they looked like. He was shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettybluebottle

Well if I was a betting woman, I would say it was a meteror shower. I spotted a meteror shower during the summer in the same area. It took me a while to get info as to what it was , I was thinking it was UFOs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I love the defence of chinease lanters, but this many sightings in the last few days seems a bit mad to me tbh

Yea cos the more plausible explanation is aliens that have nothing better to do then fly in irregular patterns over Dublin bay!?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Yea cos the more plausible explanation is aliens that have nothing better to do then fly in irregular patterns over Dublin bay!?

It's one of Aer Corps' secret sunk works projects :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

Ok, I 'm just back in 23.23pm 5th Sept - completely sober ....

I just saw dozen of orange light moving int he sky just outside enfield at the longwood road turnoff...

there were quite a few cars stopped ont he road looking at same....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

/goes off to request a chinese lantern spotting forum

Are there any aerosexuals here? surely somebody would have a "in" with
    air traffic control; over on the aviation & aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crumbs63

They are meant to be due to perseids. Threads of meteorites in the sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crumbs63

ntrundle wrote: »
    We (there were 3 of us!) were coming back home on the back roads from Lucan to Ongar at around 23:15 tonight (Friday 4th Sept) when we spotted 6 or 7 bright orange lights in the sky. They were in the direction of Dublin Bay, heading away from us and were quite low in the sky. We pulled over and watched as they changed formation and disappeared one by one. This all happened in the space of a couple of minutes. Any ideas what they were? Did anyone else see them?
    meant to be meteorites from perseids; don't know if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rachael_x

I saw them Today! :eek: ... I live in bray and everyone around bray and shankill was looking at them! .. They were deadly, orange star-like movin lights in the Sky .. i think it was Aliens(:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sarah_lennon

saw them too..... freaky! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grahamdbailey

Yeah, there were about 20 glowing orange lights over the Dublin/Shankill area, it was amazing! Not sure i 'buy' the whole chinese lantern thing, they seemed very high up?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Posted the below in another thread in this forum, not sure which is most appropriate;

Last night (19/09/09) I was at a friends house (between Shankill and Ballybrack, Dublin) and was called out into the back garden at about 11.40pm to look at strange lights in the sky. There was a very noticeably bright white star visible, and around it there were up to eight smaller red lights all moving a various speeds from right to left across the front of this brighter star.

Some of these seemed to fade away in the night sky after a few minutes, whilst others simply remained moving a high speeds in and around the vicinity of the bright star.

All four of us in the house eventually ended up standing agog at this for about ten minutes having no idea what it could be. It was a very still, clear and quiet night and there were no sounds to be heard (engines etc)

If anyone else saw this or could help explain this myself, and my three friends would greatly appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Is anyone seeing anything in the tallaght area tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

joes girls wrote: »
    Is anyone seeing anything in the tallaght area tonight?

I seen a chinese lantern thingy over sandyford at 10.10 tonight, Coming from tallagh direction heading east. Was low enough!
    I can see how people can confuse them with the unknown!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

its being reported since our civilization has evolved to the stage it is now at other species from other planets can slowly show them selves to us,

in doing this we will not go crazy thinking the world is over and run a muck on the streets raiding and pillaging as if this happened we would be seeming to regress in our progress of evolution,

it has been said they will abolish the prime directive shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Thanks jimbis, but he was not happy with that answer.:) didnt see them myself so cant really say what they were like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rachael_x

jimbis wrote: »
    I seen a chinese lantern thingy over sandyford at 10.10 tonight, Coming from tallagh direction heading east. Was low enough!
    I can see how people can confuse them with the unknown!;)

Even on Astronomy Ireland they werent sure if it was chinese lanterns or a UFO. How can you be so sure it wasnt the unknown?
    People can believe what they want to believe.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Rachael_x wrote: »
    Even on Astronomy Ireland they werent sure if it was chinese lanterns or a UFO. How can you be so sure it wasnt the unknown?
    People can believe what they want to believe.

:confused:

Oh dont get me wrong i wasnt saying chinese lantrens are the answer to all sightings, i was just replying to the post before me asking did anyone see anything over tallagh around the same time i seen the lantren, because it definatly was one (i should've quoted the post to avoid confusion;))
    And yep, people can believe what they want and i myself am very open minded about this whole subject too but i was just pointing out how easily they can be confused after i seen that one the other night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

fintonie wrote: »
    it has been said they will abolish the prime directive shortly.

This is not the Star Trek forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Believe what you want. Doesn't make it true though. If you want to think that little Joe Soap amatuer astronomers like me with our telescopes in our back gardens are part of a worldwide conspiracy to hide the truth then you can believe that if you want. You are actually correct. I have been brainwashed by the CIA via subliminal messages everytime I log onto NASA TV and programmed to see little baskets with a flame under a big paper bag floating through the sky every time I point my telescope at one of these or group of these things.

And Graham said they seemed very high up. Did he have a laser range finder? Remember the Space Shuttle and fuel Tank flyover last month (Code word for Advanced Alien Exploration craft). That looked as close as an airliner on approach to Dublin airport (3000ft @ 200mph). It was infact 200 miles up in space climbing to the ISS orbit and traveling at 17000mph. A big bright object (lit by the full glare of the sun up in space) travelling at 17,000mph can look like an airliner with its headlights on at 3000ft travelling at 200mph. A dim but close object the size of a Chinese lantern at 800ft travelling in a 40mph wind can look like a space shuttle orange fuel tank 200 miles up at 17,000mph etc etc etc Think about it for a minut. A model of Mount everest 2ft infront of you can look the same size as the real thing in the background......A candle sitting on top of the bush in your garden can look as bright as a gorse fire burning on the mountains in the background 50 miles away.......etc etc etc.

Please don't ask why the flame of a chinese candle doesn't blow out in a 40mph wind. Its like the French lad who thought it would be a good idea to fit sails to a hot air balloon in 1795 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Calibos wrote: »
    And Graham said they seemed very high up. Did he have a laser range finder? Remember the Space Shuttle and fuel Tank flyover last month (Code word for Advanced Alien Exploration craft). That looked as close as an airliner on approach to Dublin airport (3000ft @ 200mph). It was infact 200 miles up in space climbing to the ISS orbit and traveling at 17000mph. A big bright object (lit by the full glare of the sun up in space) travelling at 17,000mph can look like an airliner with its headlights on at 3000ft travelling at 200mph. A dim but close object the size of a Chinese lantern at 800ft travelling in a 40mph wind can look like a space shuttle orange fuel tank 200 miles up at 17,000mph etc etc etc Think about it for a minut. A model of Mount everest 2ft infront of you can look the same size as the real thing in the background......A candle sitting on top of the bush in your garden can look as bright as a gorse fire burning on the mountains in the background 50 miles away.......etc etc etc.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmU_q5xrnto

Still nobody's called ATC at dublin?

Next time give them a call, I'm sure they would be interest in 6/8 ufo's buzzing around the bay if it was anything at all. they might even get a
    giggle out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Just saw a red/orange chinese lantern over north dublin travelling in an easterly direction.

Advertisement