Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Fiction

Options
  • 05-09-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anybody saw Newsnight's Late Review tonight but during the discussion of this year's Booker Prize, Ian Rankin made a fairly interesting point. He rather bitterly observed that Genre Fiction never gets the nod in these serious heavyweight literary awards even though science fiction, to take an example of genre fiction, has a lot to offer the reader right now.

So, sci fi geeks, what authors was he talking about and which of their works would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Ian M Banks to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

He's right too. It's very frustrating when you see someone like Margaret Atwood at such pains to claim what she writes isn't science fiction.

There is, it seems, a large amount of literary bigots, who are sure that sf and genre fiction must be kept in it's ghetto. Though some of the behaviour of certain groups of SF fandom factors into it too. It can't be anything other than snobbery and ignorance, though you must bear in mind I consider "The Road" to be science fiction for those who consider themselves too good to read science fiction :)

As to current SF writers, I wouldn't be too sure - certainly Ian M Banks (his mainstream fiction is written under the name Ian Banks in case you're confused), JG Ballard, Charles Stross, China Mieville..

If you're also interested in older stuff, Heinlein, Aasimov, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C Clarke, Philip K Dick..a huge list really.

"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson has a special place for me, one of the best I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks very much for that... plenty to go on.
    Appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Gotta read some Asimov too, caves of steel is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Can anyone here recommend the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series?

It's on my list of books to read, and I was wondering if it was any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Read it, defo worth a read, it's crazy but good fun!!

Sweet, thanks!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can anyone here recommend the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series?

It's on my list of books to read, and I was wondering if it was any good?
    I really wish I'd never read it.

Only so I could read it for the first time again. :(
    An absolute gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

"I am Legend" - forget the film and read the book. Great story.

"Consider Pheblas" - from the great Ian M Banks

A great idea is to get hold of the SF Masterworks series and read your way through it. A personal favourite from the old day is "The Forever War".

"Hitchhiker's" has to be read, simply because of the humour and the amount of culture it has spawned in it's own right.

You know, I tried I am Legend, and really couldn't get into it. I couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so, just seemed to find it really drawn out.

I might give it another try some time...

I do prefer the book ending (yes I already know the ending, curse people who don't know how to use spoiler tags :mad:) to the movie though...

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    A great idea is to get hold of the SF Masterworks series and read your way through it. A personal favourite from the old day is "The Forever War".
    I do the same thing and The Forever War is one of the best!

Busi_Girl08, you should read "Contact" by Carl Sagan. Doesn't matter if you've seen the movie - it's a brilliant read anyway - and many things (including the ending) are different. Great sci-fi without loads of aliens or plasma rifles if that kinda stuff puts you off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dune by Frank Herbert. What Lord of the Rings does for fantasy, it does for scifi. Absolutely amazing series (well the first three books, it loses a bit of steam in the later books but each book ends definitively so you don't have to go on if you don't want to).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I would recommend 'Rendevous with Rama' (Arthur C. Clarke) and 'I, Robot' (Isaac Asimov). The latter should not be confused with film of the same name as there really is nothing comparable between the two.

Dibble wrote: »
    I would recommend 'Rendevous with Rama' (Arthur C. Clarke) and 'I, Robot' (Isaac Asimov). The latter should not be confused with film of the same name as there really is nothing comparable between the two.

As far as I'm aware the script for I, Robot was already written, and had nothing to do with the collection of Asimov stories. The studio had already bought the rights to I, Robot back in the 70s (Harlan Ellison had written a fairly acclaimed script for it too) and to give the Will Smith movie a bit of a publicity boost they used the name, and added in a few Asimov things, like the references to the three laws of robotics. Like you say, nothing comparable between the two, bar a few character names (I think) and some references.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Not strictly Sci-Fi but Terry Pratchett should always be mentioned, Night Watch is one of the best books I've ever read, its not even all that funny, and Good Omens is a classic, actually lets not forget about Neil Gaimen while I'm at it, absolutely marvelous writers, both :P

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Cool, I thought there must have been some association alright. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

"The Time Traveller, for so shall we speak of him, ..." Exxy exxy lent!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but trying to read more - so as a newbie, the ones I have enjoyed, and not found too heavy on the science side:

The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks - I didn't realise it was the second in the series though
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - one of my favourites
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan - sort of a sci-fi meets crime story
    Wyrms by Orson Scott Card - might be more fantasy than sci-fi though

eoin wrote: »
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks - I didn't realise it was the second in the series though
    There is no "series" as far as certain books need to be read first. The books don't happen chronologically at all. In the entire 'set' only a few characters ever appear more than once - and each book is an entirely different novel and can be read independently.

Player of Games is actually a book recommended to read first as it gives a better introduction to the "Culture" than Consider Phlebas. Just pick them up and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

one of the best SF writers is anne mcaffey her series of books are all well written,she now lives in ireland[wicklow mountains] early this year when driving in ireland i noticed a house sign called dragonhold-underhill,it stuck in my mind,then a few days later i remembered it is her own house,i will drive passed it again in feb for another look, maybe a might see her

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

Would recommend Dan Simmons Hyperion and Endymion series of books. Also to a lesser extent Ilium and Olympos by the same author.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Seconding the Richard K Morgan recommendation, read his first book Altered Carbon and before I had finished it I went out and bought all of his other books. Fantastic author, well worth investing the time to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Also try some Philip K Dick

'Do androids dream of electric sheep?' was filmed as Bladerunner, which still is one of the best PKD adaptations. Total Recall is very loosely based on the short story 'we can remember it for you wholesale'.

My personal recommendation would be 'the man in the high castle' it is an alternate history novel where WWII had a, well errm, alternate outcome :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

dudara wrote: »
    "I am Legend" - forget the film and read the book. Great story.

But don't forget The Omega Man, another film based on it but with the oldsmobile replaced with SPORTS CARS and MACHINE GUNS and all sorts of Charlton Heston debauchery.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Dades wrote: »
    There is no "series" as far as certain books need to be read first. The books don't happen chronologically at all. In the entire 'set' only a few characters ever appear more than once - and each book is an entirely different novel and can be read independently.

Player of Games is actually a book recommended to read first as it gives a better introduction to the "Culture" than Consider Phlebas. Just pick them up and enjoy!
    Well, you can read them in any order, but they are vaguely chronological. For example, one of the later books mentions that the Idirian War was 500 years previously (this is the war in Consider Phlebas). ;)

Also, as someone said, Dan Simmons Hyperion books (the first 2) are top notch.
    Vernor Vinge is also good.
    Mainstream author SF would be Will Self, The Book Of Dave, and The Road of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I would actually recommend the Use of Weapons of all Iain M Banks' sci fi, absolutely amazing book. Also, Walking on Glass for a mix of the fiction and science fiction in one book.

Weaveworld by Clive Barker is fantastic too

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    I would actually recommend the Use of Weapons of all Iain M Banks' sci fi, absolutely amazing book.
    You'll never look at a chair in the same way again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

That is very true!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sci-fi seems to have a bad name in terms of how "literary" or indeed "worthy" it seems. Recently, a British crime novelist published a novel set in the future where criminals had implants I believe to prevent their committing crime. He refused to call it sci-fi despite the fact, like much science fiction, it used a spectacular fictional premise to explore a story.

There's much of that attitude that abounds in the public as well - I've heard it from my own mother. It's the idea that it's "not real", that there's no possibility of it being real. In their minds it's all like "Star Wars" or "Star Trek" with space ships whizzing around the place firing lasers. Any sci-fi reader will know the genre can be multi-faceted and explore many themes (identity, alienation, and many philosophical quandaries) in great depth but I think the broad perception is still that it's silly aliens.

It's not all authors of course - Iain Banks is unashamed of his sci-fi (the use of Iain M. Banks is hardly a disguise). Neal Stephenson could easily have labelled his primarily historical Baroque cycle as historical fiction but calls it sci-fi. Both are quite well respected, and very literary, authors but as a whole it seems there's almost a culture of shame in admitting your books are science fiction, as if it demeans you rather than as an outlet to show your creative strengths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

MikeC101 wrote: »
    "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson has a special place for me, one of the best I've ever read.

I agree. This is a fantastic read, and even if you had the misfortune of seeing the movie, it won't really spoil the book.

I also recommend The Glamour by Christopher Priest.

Advertisement