Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rig, €800.

Options
  • 05-09-2009 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

It's actually for a friend.. But oh well.

His most heavy usage would be gaming, TF2, Fallout 3 etc. Should be capable of running future games (future proof).

HWVS is prefered for building it.

Budget is approx €820, however that should include the building + postage charge (€50~).

He also wants a 22" monitor included in this.. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

34sfoy1.png

Its possible you might be able to unlock the 4th core on that Phenom II X3 to turn it into a quad core which will get you better performance.

Also, the resolution on this 22" LCD is 1920x1080 rather than the usual 1680x1050 so you're getting better bang for your buck. The Radeon 4890 can more than handle gaming at that resolution anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

i dont belive a 450 watt psu is able to support a 4890 (500 watt minimum?)

go for this one to be safe
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/_/articledetail.jsp?aid=17793&agid=240
    (corsair 550 watt)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well xbit labs say that it uses 120watt on load...

Anandtech did a power consumption test of whole systems...

A i7 965, with a ssd and 6g's of ram and a 4890 which only came to 287watts on load...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=22

That figure from anandtech doesn't really hold up however when you consider in this case the 720 BE...

it another xbitlabs review it claims that a 4870 with 720X3 BE the full system uses around 190watts on load....

So the 450watt would seem to be more than capable and in fact quite efficient powering all these components!

hmmmm for 10 Euro more, while staying in budget, I get the feeling this is money well spent in the long run. The dx11 cards are coming soon so if OP wants to upgrade in a couple of years 550>>>>450 watt. imo ( at the moment we dont know psu requirements for those cards).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

There's also the issue of connectors....

The 450watt is modular with 2pci express power cables where as the 550 has only one and is not modular

• Advertisement

ok you sold me

Advertisement