Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share something you like/find interesting

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Well, looks like I'm getting a lashing in Saudi Arabia, feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Apparently being involved with radio has gotten me killed by extremists 20 times

I never knew that RadioColm was so unpopular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I think that I could listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson speak forever.
    burning so much of my 15 gig allowance on his lectures on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

It's sad how interesting I found this to be perfectly honest. Who says Pharmacy isn't cool and fun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

You got 9846 points in total.

I could waste hours on that, why did you have to post it 2 weeks before the LC?

decisions wrote: »
    You got 9846 points in total.

I could waste hours on that, why did you have to post it 2 weeks before the LC?
    I want to sabotage everybody's exams It's in case anybody needs a quick study break.. :p

Now its 13552 points. Ah well sure its only the Leaving.....

decisions wrote: »
    Now its 13552 points. Ah well sure its only the Leaving.....
    I'll never even look at that again after my last exam tomorrow..

Palytoxin wrote: »
    I'll never even look at that again after my last exam tomorrow..

Exactly, Im only doing it because I should be studying.

• Advertisement

5796 on 1st attempt, man I suck. 2 I guessed closely an got the guts of 5000 points, the other 3 were pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Total points: 5655

oh my god what have you done to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You're all just figments of my imagination bitches.
    2. Solipsism.

Solipsism is a philosophical theory, which asserts that nothing exists but the individual’s consciousness. At first it seems silly – and who generally got it into his head completely deny the existence of the world around us? Except when you put your mind to it, it really is impossible to verify anything but your own consciousness.

Don’t you believe me? Think a moment and think of all the possible dreams that you have experienced in your life. Is it not possible that everything around you is nothing but an incredibly intricate dream? But we have people and things around us that we cannot doubt, because we can hear, see, smell, taste and feel them, right? Yes, and no. People who take LSD, for example, say that they can touch the most convincing hallucinations, but we do not claim that their visions are “reality”. Your dreams simulate sensations as well, after all, what you perceive is what different sections of your brain tell you to.

As a result, which parts of existence can we not doubt? None. Not the chicken we ate for dinner or the keyboard beneath our fingers. Each of us can only be sure in his own thoughts.

10 Mind-Blowing Theories That Will Change Your Perception of the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

It's not a great explanation of the theory. We do claim that drug-induced hallucinations are reality - they are a visual/sensory manifestation of a chemical reaction, a reaction which has been observed and documented by scientists within "reality". The visual and sensory stimulation felt while on drugs or in a dream is quite real. Your jelly-mould wedding to a Nicaraguan, self-immolating Jessica Biel though, is not - it's simply a manifestation of real forces acting upon you.

Reality is also a visual/sensory experience, based in a chemical/physical reality. So technically, yes, the margin between dreams, drug-induced hallucination and reality is really fairly slim, but what all these states have in common is a basis in a physical and chemical process. For example, how our eyes and brains process light into images. This process can cause subjective representations of reality (colour blindness is a simple example), but it still remains grounded in "reality".

So, certainly, we could all be figments of your imagination, but it would remain the case that an over-riding 'reality', a chemical/physical process within your body, would be presenting the world to you in this way, therefore making us, the product of this process, a representation of what is real. In other words, you're real whether you like it or not!

It's not a great explanation of the theory. We do claim that drug-induced hallucinations are reality - they are a visual/sensory manifestation of a chemical reaction, a reaction which has been observed and documented by scientists within "reality". The visual and sensory stimulation felt while on drugs or in a dream is quite real. Your jelly-mould wedding to a Nicaraguan, self-immolating Jessica Biel though, is not - it's simply a manifestation of real forces acting upon you.

Reality is also a visual/sensory experience, based in a chemical/physical reality. So technically, yes, the margin between dreams, drug-induced hallucination and reality is really fairly slim, but what all these states have in common is a basis in a physical and chemical process. For example, how our eyes and brains process light into images. This process can cause subjective representations of reality (colour blindness is a simple example), but it still remains grounded in "reality".

So, certainly, we could all be figments of your imagination, but it would remain the case that an over-riding 'reality', a chemical/physical process within your body, would be presenting the world to you in this way, therefore making us, the product of this process, a representation of what is real. In other words, you're real whether you like it or not!

This post pretty much disproves the theory.

My imagination could never come up with something this clever and thought out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

• Registered Users Posts: 17 indecisive18

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html

Try it and smile :) Its a nice little pick me up!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement

Bahaha! He sold it for $850million and bought it back for $1million. :pac:

TBH, Bebo gets a lot of unfair flack. I logged in recently and it's not actually a terrible site. The chat system is fine, and there's a lot of customisation options.

Though whenever I say Bebo wasn't that bad, people always come back with the "omg bebo stunnah 2k6+6+0.5+0.5", failing to realise that the same twats are on FB now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

This was on Tumblr. Lookit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ended up on a poetry buzz for the last few days, which is odd as I never really bothered much with it outside of school. Think I'm gonna have a day soon where I decorate my room by putting these and others up on my wall. I may go down in my family history as possibly the most pretentious of my clan to ever exist but I suppose I can handle it!

He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven - WB Yeats

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
    Enwrought with golden and silver light,
    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    Of night and light and the half-light,
    I would spread the cloths under your feet:
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Late Fragment - Raymond Carver
    And did you get what
    you wanted from this life, even so?
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    To call myself beloved, to feel myself
    beloved on the earth.

Acquainted with the Night - Robert Frost
    I have been one acquainted with the night.
    I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
    I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
    I have passed by the watchman on his beat
    And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
    When far away an interrupted cry
    Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
    And further still at an unearthly height,
    O luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
    I have been one acquainted with the night.

Fire and Ice - Robert Frost (I really like Frost :p)
    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if I had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

I could go on for ages but that'll do for now. :p I'll definitely have to get together some of the gems I adored from the LC, in particular 'Elm' and 'Child' by Sylvia Plath (I loved the happy ones clearly :pac:) and 'Antarctica' by Derek Mahon, and hunt for more. Might stick up some song lyrics too now that I think of it. My room's gonna look ridiculous but hey, I just really like words. :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm hurt! You have nothing by me in there!

;(

Hon stem cells t'fuck!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/jul/21/embryonic-stem-cells-sight-blind-retinas
    Scientists have shown that light-sensitive retinal cells, grown in the lab from stem cells, can successfully integrate into the eye when implanted into blind mice. The technique opens up the possibility that a similar treatment could help people who have become blind through damage to their retinas to regain some of their sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lol 55 convictions for 5 crimes in 47 countries
    Basically if youre a girl youre off to a bad start from the off.

155 convictions for 12 crimes in 62 countries.

If I'm gonna die, at least I did it in style!

• Advertisement

Like the last thing I posted, this is poetry that Tumblr showed me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Like the last thing I posted, this is poetry that Tumblr showed me :D

Tumblr showed me that too! It also showed me this which I like very much. This guy, and this poem especially are fantastic.

"If I could I would tie your arms to a daydream and then auction you off to my fondest memories"

Tumblr showed me that too! It also showed me this which I like very much. This guy, and this poem especially are fantastic.

"If I could I would tie your arms to a daydream and then auction you off to my fondest memories"

This is unrelated but do you remember some time back you and Jefrey (Rest in Boards) were talking about a poet and he has this really amazing yet I think maybe a 3 line poem, and I can't for the life of me remember the poem or the poet.

This is unrelated but do you remember some time back you and Jefrey (Rest in Boards) were talking about a poet and he has this really amazing yet I think maybe a 3 line poem, and I can't for the life of me remember the poem or the poet.

I do! It was Late Fragment by Raymond Carver:

And did you get what
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    beloved on the earth.

Carver has some really fantastic poems and short stories!

ps. Jefrey plz come back. I miss your music recommendations.

I do! It was Late Fragment by Raymond Carver:

And did you get what
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    beloved on the earth.

Carver has some really fantastic poems and short stories!

ps. Jefrey plz come back. I miss your music recommendations.

The man had a damn fine taste for music!

Also, thanks :)

• Advertisement

This is very cool! Someone strapped a small video camera to an eagle's back so you can see what it's like to fly! Watching it on full screen does sort of make it feel like you're flying.

tumblr_mu37ihMjrI1rkp3avo1_400.gif

Advertisement