Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Found this on StumbleUpon.
    I don't know how accurate it is (some of the places might not actually still be abandoned) but the pictures are fantastic.

http://www.nature-pictures.info/the-33-most-beautiful-abandoned-places-in-the-world/
    So, having googled one of the places on that, I entered google treasure mode (it became an option where satellite view button normally is). This mode seems to have no maps, only allowing you to navigate by a very different street view, which has been replaced by a torch. It is rather cool, and nothing about it seems to come up on google search. Link

EDIT: It seems to be a new thing on maps which is being rolled out. It wasn't coming up for me on any Irish based search even after getting it on the previous search, but now I am. There also is maps, but I'm not seeing them. 20 minute old blog post on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

It's Google's April Fools joke for this year.

Colm! wrote: »
    It's Google's April Fools joke for this year.
    So the blog post says. Had thought I had found an easter egg based on search terms originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Came across this today and thought it was kinda interesting/amusing. It's sort of makes you rethink mundane, everyday tasks. Or maybe I just like the novelty of seeing things float that normally wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Thought Catalog

Anyone ever visit this site? Came across it on stumbleupon a few months ago.

User submitted writings, poetry, essays, ponderings, cracked-style lists etc.

it's pretty kickass stuff, and every so often something truly astounding gets posted.

this is the latest post, its beautiful.
    kill me with kindness

Thought i'd share it the sites well worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I have a love/hate relationship with Thought Catalog since a lot of the more recent stuff seems to be drivel, but it definitely has some very skilled writers.

Chelsea Fagan is one the best, IMO. This piece by her is amazing: I Never Knew You

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

http://www.trialbytimeline.org.nz/

Analyses your facebook page and tells you what crimes you have committed and what your punishment would be. Really interesting.

http://www.trialbytimeline.org.nz/

Analyses your facebook page and tells you what crimes you have committed and what your punishment would be. Really interesting.
    Only one crime, having a FB account, illegal in Myanmar. Disappointing... Great awareness idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The two I saw (it scrolls way too fast and it won't let me scroll up :() were having an FB account and being a member of a Union (Students' Union)... it's mad to think that things as simple as that are illegal in places... like, we have no choice but to join the SU... mental.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lol 55 convictions for 5 crimes in 47 countries
    Basically if youre a girl youre off to a bad start from the off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Well, looks like I'm getting a lashing in Saudi Arabia, feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Apparently being involved with radio has gotten me killed by extremists 20 times

I never knew that RadioColm was so unpopular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I think that I could listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson speak forever.
    burning so much of my 15 gig allowance on his lectures on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

It's sad how interesting I found this to be perfectly honest. Who says Pharmacy isn't cool and fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

You got 9846 points in total.

I could waste hours on that, why did you have to post it 2 weeks before the LC?

decisions wrote: »
    You got 9846 points in total.

I could waste hours on that, why did you have to post it 2 weeks before the LC?
    I want to sabotage everybody's exams It's in case anybody needs a quick study break.. :p

Now its 13552 points. Ah well sure its only the Leaving.....

decisions wrote: »
    Now its 13552 points. Ah well sure its only the Leaving.....
    I'll never even look at that again after my last exam tomorrow..

Palytoxin wrote: »
    I'll never even look at that again after my last exam tomorrow..

Exactly, Im only doing it because I should be studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

5796 on 1st attempt, man I suck. 2 I guessed closely an got the guts of 5000 points, the other 3 were pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Total points: 5655

oh my god what have you done to me

You're all just figments of my imagination bitches.
    2. Solipsism.

Solipsism is a philosophical theory, which asserts that nothing exists but the individual’s consciousness. At first it seems silly – and who generally got it into his head completely deny the existence of the world around us? Except when you put your mind to it, it really is impossible to verify anything but your own consciousness.

Don’t you believe me? Think a moment and think of all the possible dreams that you have experienced in your life. Is it not possible that everything around you is nothing but an incredibly intricate dream? But we have people and things around us that we cannot doubt, because we can hear, see, smell, taste and feel them, right? Yes, and no. People who take LSD, for example, say that they can touch the most convincing hallucinations, but we do not claim that their visions are “reality”. Your dreams simulate sensations as well, after all, what you perceive is what different sections of your brain tell you to.

As a result, which parts of existence can we not doubt? None. Not the chicken we ate for dinner or the keyboard beneath our fingers. Each of us can only be sure in his own thoughts.

10 Mind-Blowing Theories That Will Change Your Perception of the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

It's not a great explanation of the theory. We do claim that drug-induced hallucinations are reality - they are a visual/sensory manifestation of a chemical reaction, a reaction which has been observed and documented by scientists within "reality". The visual and sensory stimulation felt while on drugs or in a dream is quite real. Your jelly-mould wedding to a Nicaraguan, self-immolating Jessica Biel though, is not - it's simply a manifestation of real forces acting upon you.

Reality is also a visual/sensory experience, based in a chemical/physical reality. So technically, yes, the margin between dreams, drug-induced hallucination and reality is really fairly slim, but what all these states have in common is a basis in a physical and chemical process. For example, how our eyes and brains process light into images. This process can cause subjective representations of reality (colour blindness is a simple example), but it still remains grounded in "reality".

So, certainly, we could all be figments of your imagination, but it would remain the case that an over-riding 'reality', a chemical/physical process within your body, would be presenting the world to you in this way, therefore making us, the product of this process, a representation of what is real. In other words, you're real whether you like it or not!

It's not a great explanation of the theory. We do claim that drug-induced hallucinations are reality - they are a visual/sensory manifestation of a chemical reaction, a reaction which has been observed and documented by scientists within "reality". The visual and sensory stimulation felt while on drugs or in a dream is quite real. Your jelly-mould wedding to a Nicaraguan, self-immolating Jessica Biel though, is not - it's simply a manifestation of real forces acting upon you.

Reality is also a visual/sensory experience, based in a chemical/physical reality. So technically, yes, the margin between dreams, drug-induced hallucination and reality is really fairly slim, but what all these states have in common is a basis in a physical and chemical process. For example, how our eyes and brains process light into images. This process can cause subjective representations of reality (colour blindness is a simple example), but it still remains grounded in "reality".

So, certainly, we could all be figments of your imagination, but it would remain the case that an over-riding 'reality', a chemical/physical process within your body, would be presenting the world to you in this way, therefore making us, the product of this process, a representation of what is real. In other words, you're real whether you like it or not!

This post pretty much disproves the theory.

My imagination could never come up with something this clever and thought out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 indecisive18

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html

Try it and smile :) Its a nice little pick me up!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement

Bahaha! He sold it for $850million and bought it back for $1million. :pac:

TBH, Bebo gets a lot of unfair flack. I logged in recently and it's not actually a terrible site. The chat system is fine, and there's a lot of customisation options.

Though whenever I say Bebo wasn't that bad, people always come back with the "omg bebo stunnah 2k6+6+0.5+0.5", failing to realise that the same twats are on FB now. :P

Advertisement