Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed pint : guinness/stout & ale/lager

Options
  • 05-09-2009 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

blackandtan.jpgblackntan03.jpg

I'm curious to try one of these. Has anyone here ever made one ? I've been trying to do some shooters in the pousse-cafe style and I seem to be able to layer at least three in the one glass and it comes out alright. Is the process similar with a pint ?

What do they taste like ? Which beers do you use for them ? Has anyone any good recommendations for which two beers to mix ?

I'm assuming it's always done with the stout on top which would mean that its always lighter than whatever is on the bottom. Funny, Guinness/stouts have this myth of being "oh so heavy".
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The only similar pint I had before was a bulmers with a Guinness head. That was interesting, a creamy cider. Must be tasted to be believed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

black & tan - ale & stout

snakebite - lager & cider

not my thing, ale with a guinness head the rare time

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

A pint of special please....ale with a guinness head

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

1/2 Guinness ontop of 1/2 Magic hat #9 .. verry nice Black hatters or Black Magic we call em

ive even done a Guinness/Pabst Blue ribbon i call it a Culchie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Guinness sell a "pouring" spoon - http://www.guinnesswebstore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=bar&T1=GUI+2123
    (you probably won't be able to see that link cause of the age limit certification thing)

Get the spiel :
    There's not a barkeep in all of Ireland who doesn't rely on his GUINNESS® Pouring Spoon. This handy little item is an absolute necessity for an authentic Black and Tan (or Half and Half) pour. The metal handle is engraved with the GUINNESS® Logo and harp. Includes chain for convenient hanging.

Bass also have some kind of pouring wedge. Doubt it can be bought here though.

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Guinness sell a "pouring" spoon - http://www.guinnesswebstore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=bar&T1=GUI+2123
    (you probably won't be able to see that link cause of the age limit certification thing)

Get the spiel :

Bass also have some kind of pouring wedge. Doubt it can be bought here though.
    yeh i seent it looks like a lil pool wrack thing prolly can get em at an offie that sells kegs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What do they taste like ? Which beers do you use for them ? Has anyone any good recommendations for which two beers to mix ?
    I would guess guinness & heineken would be 2 common ones that could work in that photo, heineken is relatively high in sugar so would be a denser fluid, guinness is quite low in sugar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    heineken is relatively high in sugar so would be a denser fluid, guinness is quite low in sugar.
    Yes it's all about the respective final gravities of the beers.

For years, Guinness and Bass shared a distributor in the US (which is why Smithwick's wasn't sold there) and they were the ones who promoted the black and tan, based on those two beers. I think the American need to have things systematised neatly led to Harp being substituted for Bass: since Harp is Irish, that's the one that they make their genuine black and tans with over in Ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

1/2 Guinness ontop of 1/2 Magic hat #9 .. verry nice Black hatters or Black Magic we call em

Does the apricot still come through?

rubadub wrote: »
    I would guess guinness & heineken would be 2 common ones that could work in that photo, heineken is relatively high in sugar so would be a denser fluid, guinness is quite low in sugar.

Are you sure the final gravity of heineken is that much different to Guinness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

The PG of the stout is very much lower than that of lager, thus it will float. Average pg of a stout was around 6.5 whilst a lager was around the 9 mark.

thorpe wrote: »
    The PG of the stout is very much lower than that of lager, thus it will float. Average pg of a stout was around 6.5 whilst a lager was around the 9 mark.

what's PG, production gravity or something?

an how does those value transfer to standard gravity or Plato readings

oblivious wrote: »
    Does the apricot still come through?

yeah you get abit of it with the creamyness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I was in a pub in London which had a tap for Budvar, which had 3 taps,
    Light Budvar
    Dark Budvar
    or a mix of half and half.

And I'll tell you what, the half and half is gorgeous. Overall, tastes like an ale, but with the individual characteristics of the two different types of beers.
    I think a guinness/lager combo, could work quite nicely. Will have to try it next time I'm in a pub, with an understanding bartender.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you sure the final gravity of heineken is that much different to Guinness?
    I'm not sure, I literally meant it as a guess, guinness is quite low in kcal so I presume it is low in sugar, and I do remember seeing heineken having relatively high sugar content, so I guessed it would be more syrupy and a higher density relative to guinness.

EDIT
    Just checked guinness' site and it has comparisons.
    http://www2.guinness.com/en-GB/Pages/food-calorie-guide.aspx?me=31dzt0jf5r5c3e55jzazi2ik
    And heineken is showing as lower in carbs than guinness per 100ml! must check the heineken site again. Stella is highest in carbs if the site is correct. I can't find the heineken quote but I found a post I made before than the 4.3% stuff was 3.1% sugar, so I think there is a mistake on the guinness site.

PG is Present Gravity. It is the gavity at which the time you take your gravity reading at ie if you take your OG (Original Gravity reading) and any other gravity reading you take after this point is your PG. In large scale operations it is normally used as an indication as to when you have reached the end of your fermentation.
    Most if not all large scale brewers as a matter of course add a syrup of some kind to help kick start the yeast. All of this syrup will have been used up by the yeast. What gives the mouthfeel is the gas & the PG.

Average pg of a stout was around 6.5 whilst a lager was around the 9 mark.
    PG is Present Gravity. It is the gavity at which the time you take your gravity reading at ie if you take your OG (Original Gravity reading) and any other gravity reading you take after this point is your PG. In large scale operations it is normally used as an indication as to when you have reached the end of your fermentation.

So would the be 1.0065 and 1.009 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

try this lot,TOPHAT,guinness and ginger beer TROJAN HORSE,guinness and cola CALCUTTA CLUB, guinness and tonic water, GUINNESS TAN,guinness and bitter beer,BLACKSMITH,guinness and barly wine,RED HEAD, guinness and tomato juice,TWO LANE BLACSTOP,guiness and dry ginger,SNAKE BITE, guinness and cider,GUINNESS AND MILD, WASP STING,guinness and orange juice,LONGSHIP, guinness and lager,MIDNIGHT, guiness and port,LIGHT AND DARK, guinness and light ale,GUINNESS AND LIME,SENSIBLE SHOES, guiness and brown ale,TUMBRIL, guinness with port,brandy and champagne,BLACK VELVET, guinness and champagne,BLACK N BLACK, guiness and blackcurrant,ARTHUR NARF,guinness mixed with bottled guinness,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like a Pint Bottle of Guinness mixed with a Pint Bottle of Smithwicks in Callanan's in Cork.

Never tried to float it , though - I want it mixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Used to work in a pub in Coventry years ago where a black and tan was very popular -

took a bit of work to get it right as if you put the Guinness in last it would literally fizz up and was nearly impossible to get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I'm curious to try one of these. Has anyone here ever made one ? I've been trying to do some shooters in the pousse-cafe style and I seem to be able to layer at least three in the one glass and it comes out alright. Is the process similar with a pint ?

What do they taste like ? Which beers do you use for them ? Has anyone any good recommendations for which two beers to mix ?.

Very popular in the US, and by the looks of it that's where the pics come from. Harp and Guinness is pretty popular particularly in Irish bars. I've also seen Bass and Guinness, and beleive it or not Chimay and Guinness. I could never bring myself to try any of them.

MediaTank wrote: »
    and beleive it or not Chimay and Guinness. I could never bring myself to try any of them.

I would try it over the harp option:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

MediaTank wrote: »
    beleive it or not Chimay and Guinness .

Sounds amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I would try it over the harp option:p

Me too, and I almost ordered the Chimay one, but decided that I really should not miss my flight.

So would the be 1.0065 and 1.009 then?
    Yes that is correct but it would abbreviated to 65 and 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Tried out Guinness draught can and Smithwicks.
    I didn't really get much aesthetic ...

th_Image069.jpg

On the left is the Smithwicks at the bottom with guinness floated on top and on the right is the Guinness poured in first with the Smithwicks lashed in on top. I didn't get the quantaties accurate though.

Taste wise, the pousse-cafe style layered pint tastes like (an even more) subtle tasting Guinness - cause Guinness tastes subtle right ;) - with that Smithwicks kinda tangy aftertaste as you swallow. The fully mixed one (which has a big of a Guinness foamy head on top) tastes nicer I think but only marginally. That one is like Smithwicks with that "creamy" nonsense they say you get from Guinness.

Fun experiment overall. Needn't had bothered buying more than two cans now as the novelty is gone straight out the window!

th_Image073.jpg th_Image072.jpg th_Image075.jpgth_Image074.jpg

Advertisement