Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming vs Sim Card

• 05-09-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Brother is going studying in the EU for 4 - 6 months, he's trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to buy a new sim card over there (assuming he can unlock his phone) or just stick with the one has and go roaming. Don't expect him to be ringing or texting home everyday of the week but the cheaper the better. I'm fully ignorant on these matters so if its a stupid question, I apologise!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Well I am currently roaming in Bahrain, and here's how I work it.

I kept my original number, so people at home could still text me, and I reply to their texts via webtext (i.e. for free). If I need to ring people, I use Skype (both the free version and via Skype credit - I have a Skype client for my iPhone).

Works perfectly for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Well I am currently roaming in Bahrain, and here's how I work it.

I kept my original number, so people at home could still text me, and I reply to their texts via webtext (i.e. for free). If I need to ring people, I use Skype (both the free version and via Skype credit - I have a Skype client for my iPhone).

Works perfectly for me so far.

Hi Tom,

Hows it in Bahrain? I used to live there when i was too young to remember...Anyway, i take it you only send webtxtxs and make skype calls via wifi as otherwise it would be damn expensive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi Tom,

Hows it in Bahrain? I used to live there when i was too young to remember...Anyway, i take it you only send webtxtxs and make skype calls via wifi as otherwise it would be damn expensive..

Bahrain is excellent, we are being treated very well. It's about 42 Degrees out there at the moment. :eek:

Yes, I probably should have made that clearer - all comms is via WiFi to keep the cost down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Throw in www.cabbagetexter.com for your phone or Eirtext for iPhone and you should be all set for texting :)

Advertisement