Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else got hens?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 4:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I got 3 pullets six weeks ago. The kids love them and they're laying so I love them too :D

So who else here is a chicken keeper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 smudge09

I have two light sussexes, 3 brown hens (sold as RIR, but not) and two cockerals (given by an aunt who says you cant have hens without a cockeral - they were destined for the pot!). You can hear them crowing half a mile away when there is no wind......

Struggled to find suppliers (equipment, organic food) in the west. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also had one hen die suddenly - anyone experienced this? Or recommend a good poultry health book?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Have been keeping poultry for around 2 years now. Numbers very low at the moment - a cross-bred cockerel, one Indian Game & one Buff Orpington hens. Plus 3 Khaki Campbell ducks. Am planning to increase numbers with some Black Rocks, maybe a pair of Pekin bantams, a Khaki Campbell drake and would also like a pair of Call ducks.

With regard to good books, there is a lot of information out there on the net but I also have a copy of Katie Thear's "Starting with Chickens", which I find very useful. Also like "Keeping a few hens in your garden" by Francine Raymond - a very simple little book but great for anyone at the "thinking about it" stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This book was recommended to me - I have it on order in Hodges & Figgis. I'll let you know what it's like when I get it.

Willowbrook come recommended as suppliers of organic feed and equipment. They're based in Boyle in Roscommon but deliver countrywide.

Your aunt was wrong. You only need a cock if you want to breed. And if you live in an estate having cocks is a bad idea. Hens will lay eggs without one. I've 2 Light Sussex and one hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

i got 2 hens for my garden 6 months ago and i love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

We have hens and ducks, we are getting out of the hens though, prefer ducks and they lay bigger eggs which taste the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Have ISA browns and a black Leghorn all laying really well. Starting to build a much bigger run and planning to add afew extra birds. Also planning a duck run for some Call ducks.

'cptr

Advertisement