Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fonemenders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

I wish I'd read this! My Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini Pro has been cutting off calls and switching itself off since I got it at Christmas. Upon consulting the Meteor website to see what options I had, (it gives Meteor Store, walk in MPRC and Fonemenders as options for fixing), I gave it in to Fonemenders on South Anne St since it's the closest to me. A week later I picked it up. Same problem again. I returned it to them the next day. They said they had to send it to Sony. 18 days later, I received it back again. The exact same problem was still there. I called Meteor who told me that after two repairs I could bring the phone in and get a replacement if it had been repaired twice and I was to bring in the repairs dockets. I called ahead to the store to make sure. I then rocked up at the store only to be told that Fonemenders repairs don't count so if you want a replacement from Meteor you have to go through the whole rigmarole of two more repairs from Meteor (including them sending it to Sony again) before they'll consider a replacement. That's 4 separate repairs and weeks of having no phone.

I sent a complaint to Meteor as there is no mention of this aspect of their repair or replace policy on their website. It's pretty disgraceful really. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i brought my almost two year old nokia E51 to fonemenders here in limerick there about two months ago, with the silver surrounding practically falling off and the back cover was like when you open the lid on a jam jar and it pops, and wouldnt sit down properly on the back. all i really wanted was the dust blown out from under the screen, that's all i said to the girl behind the counter.

i went in the next day and was handed back what looked like a brand new E51! the only way i noticed it wasn't a new one was because of the worn "0" key on the keypad! now if i'd known they were going to practically rebuild the phone i would have asked them to replace the keypad too. i wasnt charged either!

last year some time i brought in my wife's nokia 5300 to have the loudspeaker replaced, i knew myself that the phone had been dropped in water a couple of months earlier, but i said to myself less said the better, i've knew about the "water damage = no repair", so i went back to collect it the next day, the loudsoeaker was replaced and the girl told me they couldn't guarantee how long more it would work for given that it had been water damaged. apparently there is a little red strip on the battey, which i think fades if the phone is water damaged.

now in saying that, i have had it happen before where even rain (couple of times i've sent a few texts while walking home in the rain, maybe a ten min walk) can cause water damage. i've noticed this is even worse with my nokia X6, any sort of moisture at all renders the touchscreen useless for a couple of hours until it dries out.

all in all i've found fonemenders in limerick at least to be very good and very helpful to deal with. i cannot vouch for their staff in dublin, etc, but surely that's the same in any franchise operation.

i also regularly pop into carphone warehouse in arthurs quay, (while my wife goes shopping in tesco, no thanks!) and i used regularly chat with the manager in there about the latest phones and mobile technologies coming out, she used also allow me to power up a phone and demo it if she had it in stock. then she went out on maternity leave, and was replaced by an absolute toolbag (he's been replaced too since btw!) but point being that i wouldnt blame all carphone warehouse franchises or staff just because i found one particular staff member unhelpful or disinterested in his job. in the same way i wouldnt blame all fonemenders franchises or all employees for the ineptitude of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

My X6 Nokia will only vibrate and not start so after checking Nokia.ie I broubht it to Fonemenders Cork for repair, they have a Nokia Care sign outside. I waited two days and called back and I was told it would be ready in 2mins 30seconds. I waited 5 but was then told it would need to be sent for a level 3 repair which would take a further 5-10 days. I phoned today and guess what my phone was water damaged all along and is beyond economic repair. What a load of horse droppings. Nokia now say if I return it to them they will investigate further. I really wish I had read this thread before I used phone menders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I went to fonemenders in Dublin with my Nokia 5800 - the screen would go fuzzy whenever it was unlocked. They kept it for one day, it was fixed perfectly and the software updated and it's still going strong a year later. It was free as I'd had it under 2 years. Couldn't be happier with it. Sorry to hear so many bad experiences.

Not happy with Fonemenders I sent it to Escalations at a PO Box in Dublin and after more than a week it came back with a photo of the battery connectors and little esle. I phoned the Dublin number attached and I was told, guess what? My phone was physically damaged all along. So I said it was extraordinary, that my phone was both water damaged and physically damaged at the same time and armed with both sets of photos the only place left for me was the small claims court. So then I was asked to send the phone back again and this time they would sent it to the UK. Well today I got a call and I'm to get a replacement phone. I'm told I should have it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Hi all,

I know its being a while since someone posted but i handed my bricked xperia to fonemenders to repair and tracking it online but did not know the different stages so found this doc sent to o2

FAQ O2
    At Fonemenders we are, as always, very appreciative of your business and support. We are increasingly aware that you are regularly asked key questions from your customers. In a bid to try and make your life easier we have gathered what we believe are the most frequently asked questions from both yourselves and your customers and provided you with their appropriate answer. We do hope this will make the process easier for all. If of course there is anything we haven’t covered, please feel free to contact us and we will provide a suitable response.

• Can customer return a faulty repair to any O2 retail Shop?
    o Yes, repair can be booked in any O2 store

• How many days will it take for the faulty unit to be returned repaired?
    o Up to 5 working days for level 1&2 repairs and up to 11 working days for level 3

• How many times does unit need to be repaired before customer will be provided with an exchange unit?
    o The unit needs to be sent for repair to Fonemenders with the same fault on two occasions. When handset is with Fonemenders third time the Technician needs to inspect unit and confirm the fault before the decision about swap is made

• If my unit is deemed Out of Warranty how much will customer be charged?
    o Standard fee for out of warranty repair is €60

• What does BER mean?
    o Beyond Economic Repair - The unit has been damaged to such an extent that it would cost more then the worth of the unit to repair. If unit was found to be BER it can not be repaired. There are two types of BER Liquid and Physical Damage:
    Liquid damage – handset is deemed liquid damaged when moisture or condensation corrode components or main Printed Circuit Board (also called the main board)
    Physical Damage – handset is deemed physical damaged when it experiences an impact or stress which causes un-repairable damage to the Printed Circuit Board (also called the main board)
    Handset can be deemed physical damage BER due to the following: visible physical damage, warped board, lifted pads around USB connector, lifted pads around charging connector
    • Will customer information be kept when unit is sent for repair?
    o As a part of repair process software upgrade is carried out on every handset. This operation is erasing all data on the phone. This is a part of manufacturer’s requirement so it’s strongly recommended that customer is clearly informed that all information stored on handset’s memory will be lost during the repair process.

• Is my unit still in warranty?
    o Most Manufacturers give a two year warranty with their mobile phones. Unless handset was purchased longer than two years ago or it was damaged by customer it should be still in warranty.

• How could my unit have liquid damage?
    o Mobile phones as all electronic equipment are very delicate devices and should be treated this way. Below you can find few reasons why handset can be deemed BER due to liquid damage:
     using the unit outside in the rain,
     using the unit with wet hands,
     listening to music from the unit while in the shower,
     leaving the unit over night where condensation can get into unit (i.e. in the car),
     dropping unit in water.
    • Can the customer track the repair them selves?
    o Yes, customers can track progress of the repair themselves using our web based tracking system. Please use following link to access it: https://www.success.ie/phonecheck/

• What does bounce unit mean?
    o A bounce unit is a handset that has been returned for repair with the same fault on second and more occasions.

• How Out Of Warranty procedure works?
    o Out of warranty repairs occur when the guarantee issued by the manufacturer has lapsed either through time or through the handset being faulty due to the customer. In these cases the customer is liable for the cost of the repair which is €60.
    After handset is found to be OOW Fonemenders will contact the customer and inform them of the cost to repair the handset. If customer decide that they wish to have the unit repaired Fonemenders will fix it and return it to the retail store.
    Should the customer not wish to have their handset repaired Fonemenders will return it to the store un-repaired.
    Fonemenders will keep the handset for maximum of 30 days waiting for customer’s decision. After that unit will be returned to the appropriate O2 store un-repaired.

• What does Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 repair mean?
    o Different faults require different levels of repair. Often, higher level repairs must be carried out by the manufacturers themselves, or at a National or European repair centre.
    Level 1 – software upgrade
    Level 2 – replacement of electrical or mechanical component; eg. replacement of LCD, microphone or speaker.
    Level 3 – involves replacement of integrated circuits or tuning customization; This level involves often precise soldering and sometimes Level 3 requirement cannot be determined until Level 1 and 2 repairs have been attempted and tested.
    • Is it possible that my handset is still working despite the fact it was deemed BER due to liquid damage?
    o Yes, it’s possible.
    When handset is physically damaged it’s pretty simple – some components or part of the phone is damaged which prevents it from functioning properly.
    But with liquid ingress the handset can still work correctly, at least for some time, as progressing oxidisation will not damage vital parts completely.
    In simple words corrosion needs some time (days or weeks) before it will go thru tracks or other connections on main board so before that process will be completed handset can be operational (fully or partially).

:)

and before anyone asks i do not work for them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bp!

are they open any more??? they have 2 phones of mine and no answer from any of their stores

O...o

Bp! wrote: »
    are they open any more??? they have 2 phones of mine and no answer from any of their stores

O...o

ya they are the limerick store is
    Limerick
    Address 66 Catherine Street, Limerick.
    Telephone (061) 204 048
    E-mail limerick@fonemenders.ie
    Opening Hours Monday to Friday. 9am to 5.30pm

they prob on lunch right now mate but i am currently tracking down a phone i handed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dropped a few of phones into fone menders (Dublin) before reading this thread. They came back BER water damage, I don't think they are though. Where else would look at them?

Not to sure about Dublin mate try sending directy back to manufactures,sorry

try looking here http://www.whoseview.ie/browse-category/Mobile-Phone-Repairs-271.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The touch or calibration is gone in my phone, anybody know how much that costs to fix?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I sent in a 1-week old Galaxy Europa which needed a software reinstall and it came back (eventually) as BER due to physical damage. Three are currently looking into this for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

So apparently 02 have sent my HTC Sensation with a cracked screen to Fonemenders. I only bought it about 2 months ago, I thought 02 were going to send the phone directly to HTC?

Fonemenders said it will cost 180 euro to fix, but after reading all of this I'm not sure that I want to let them repair my phone at this stage, think I'll get it sent back and see if I can send it straight to HTC.

Some of the horror stories I've heard from this place are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

My eldest had a Samsung Galaxy mini and it stopped charging. It was only 5 months old. I took it to the three store and they said it looked water damaged but would send it away. It was always in a case so was pretty sure it hadn't been.

10 days later it came back from fonemenders and they said it was BER as it had been water damaged and MB was corroded etc etc.
    I didn't believe this for a second, so since it was BER I took it apart best I could. No water damage as far as I could see. A little bit of green on the little flat part inside the charging port.

Took it to my old work and asked their opinion as I was going to challenge Three. He agreed with me, then cleaned up the contact and plugged it in.. it charged. Was **** all wrong with it.

I wonder how many other people have believed a phone to be ****ed when it isn't. I wanted to complain as I took it down to Three and showed them and they said take it up with fonemenders.

I was not a happy bunny with it all. Phone still working away grand to this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TeeDee

I left my phone into their Clondalkin branch in Mid January. Went to collect phone 2 wks later as I had dose of flu in interim. The desk guy tOld me they had been burgled the week previously and my phone was one of the stolen ones. They never notified me of this but anyway they said they would replace it.
    That was 2 months ago and despite many emails ( don't phone cos they never pick up! ) I still have'nt got a replacement phone. I was recommended to go to Fonemenders by the O2 store in Liffey Valley BTW as they don't do repairs. SHOCKING BAD SERVICE AND DREADFUL CUSTOMER CARE. DONT GO NEAR THEM

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

I handed my Lumia 820 phone into fonemenders as I cracked the LCD screen by dropping it on the footpath (not intentional, obviously and the footpath is still intact ;) ), paid them €65 for the reapir, which was quite reasonable. Two days after collecting the phone, the screen cracked again in my pocket. Brought it back to them and they want another €65 to repair it again.

Anything I can do?

I've tried explaining the story to them but they won't listen and insist on another €65 for repair even though it goes against their terms and conditions section 2.6
    2.6 Our out of warranty/chargeable repairs are guaranteed for 90 days from the date the Equipment is ready for collection. If the same fault should re-occur we will repair if free of charge. If the Equipment develops an additional fault unrelated to the original repair, the repair warranty contained in this paragraph will not apply. All warranty repairs are subject to manufacturers warranty dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

dragon5678 wrote: »

Anything I can do?

Saying as they've just gone bust, nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Could anyone tell me what " refurbish " means ? My son is going to give me his Samsung Galaxy because he's upgraded, and I'm wondering if there's a reliable - meaning honest ! - place which will give the phone a going over and tweak any faults they find for a reasonable price ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

lapsed wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what " refurbish " means ? My son is going to give me his Samsung Galaxy because he's upgraded, and I'm wondering if there's a reliable - meaning honest ! - place which will give the phone a going over and tweak any faults they find for a reasonable price ??

generally speaking all external cosmetic parts would be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement