Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights superceeded by Delivery Terms

Options
  • 05-09-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to see what you make of this. I think/hope I know the answer, but prove me wrong. :)

I had a compressed wood fuel product delivered to the house about two weeks ago. It arrived and was undamaged. I started to use the fuel this week but noticed that more than 50% of it was improperly compressed, meaning that the blocks were swollen and burned up quickly, while the other 50% was compressed OK and burned slower.
    In my mind this is a quality problem and the product is defective.

I contacted the company who responded with the Terms of Delivery, referring to the section below, as follows:
    Please note: should the goods delivered be either faulty, damaged or the wrong ones, we will either refund or re-send the (correct) goods. The complaint has to be lodged with us within 3 working days or we will deem damage to be caused after delivery. (Please allow 28 days for re-funds).

Now, I believe it's evident that the problem is due to a lack of quality at the time of manufacture as you can see that the wood is not properly shredded, hence did not compress. The affected bags are also 10% lighter than the specification as documented on their website - again - this points to a poorly compressed product.

Am I correct in thinking that my consumer rights are protected here despite the statement above and that three days is not enforceable with a defective product? Is it permissible for them to try limit my rights like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As far as I an aware, your statutory rights are your statutory rights and cannot be superceeded by T&C's, assuming the product was not knowingly purchased as a second/substandard item.

I would contact the first for replacement (the standard 3 R's should apply here, although I doubt they can repair as such).. If they refuse then take them to the small claims court.

I would however, check that their is no clause saying quality of items (or something similar) may vary due to it being a natural product. If this has been stated before purchase then it might muddy the claim somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Your rights are still in place.

Repair , replacment or refund. The suppliers choice of which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jhegarty wrote: »
    The suppliers choice of which one.

Not their choice, but they must offer one, and if they do, you'd need a good reason to refuse it, but you can insist on one of your own choice. Doesn't mean you'll actually get it though.

Advertisement