Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving is for dishonest foreigners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Fuhrer wrote: »

I can tell you straight up that his theory is bollax.

I've seen countless players dive and it is not always "johnny foreigner". I've seen it a most PL games and a few LOI matches too.

I've been to the San Siro, Dragao in Porto and Camp Nou and players tend to try and stay on their feet because they get booed by their own fans for diving.

It seems to be most prominent in the PL, maybe due to all the cameras available we see it there most

It is a terrible part of the game now and there must be someway to get rid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

John Terry - interesting theory?

/does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /does not compute
    /fffffffst (small plume of white smoke follows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's just embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Wayne Rooney seems to agree with JT.
    "Everyone who watches me play knows I am an honest player," he said. "I play the game as honestly as I can. If the referee gives a penalty there is nothing you can do. It is a penalty.

"If they want to take punishment further it is down to UEFA and the people who run the game. As players you just want to play."
    He said: "There have been times when I have tried to stay on my feet and get the shot off rather than go down."

"Diving has been in the game for years," he said. "Probably the coverage the game gets now, with all the cameras around, it gets highlighted a bit more. But it hasn't got any worse."

He continued: "England has always had a good record of being honest."

"It is important you try and play honestly.

"You don't like to see anyone cheating. It is not fair on the fans or the opponents."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney seems to agree with JT.

And so does Steven Gerrard, although more fervently

Jesus, look at all that agreement.

And look, Ashely Cole agreeing aswell!

Good old Frank helping out also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lads we had a diving greatest hits thread only a few days ago. Do we need the same shtick again?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Good old Frank helping out also.

This caused numerous earthquakes around the world

And all this talk of diving reminded me that a certain Michel Salgado dived, in the friendly match against Shamrock Rovers. To dive in a normal league match is one thing but to do it in a friendly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

:( There is some contact with most of the above examples but Gerrard...There is no contact at all. Its Blatant cheating. How does he get away with it? I'd imagine he's not the most popular player with PL defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

mike65 wrote: »
    Lads we had a diving greatest hits thread only a few days ago. Do we need the same shtick again?.

Yeah but in that thread we didnt know that diving was only because of dishonest foreigners.

Thanks JT for clearing it up for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Paul Lambert said pretty much the same thing in an interview yesterday too. It was actually cringeworthy. Do Norwich have many foreign players? I'm sure they would've been chuffed at the comments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Rooney one vs Dawson is a facepalmer alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think the first mistake made here is assuming anything Terry says is any better than bitter tripe. Good footballer, bad person imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hilarious quote from Alex Ferguson given the propensity for diving in his squad.

Sir Alex Ferguson sided with the governing body, saying Uefa's decision to ban Eduardo for two Champions League matches was the correct one as it was important to communicate to players that diving would not be tolerated.

"It was a high-profile game and something has to be done," Ferguson said. "Something should be done and we hope the message gets across. I don't think any coach is proud of it when players simulate to get decisions. A coach can't be proud if his team have won that way. Nobody can be proud. A player can't be proud one hour afterwards when he sits with his brothers and sisters and father and mother."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

lucky chelsea only have about 3 english players then. It wont effect them too much in europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

grahamo wrote: »
    :( There is some contact with most of the above examples but Gerrard and Rooney...There is no contact at all. Its Blatant cheating. How does he get away with it? I'd imagine he's not the most popular player with PL defenders.

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not the first time Arsenal have been undone by Rooney's diving. Anyone remember the Arsenal vs United match back in October 2004? It was the match in which Arsenal's massive unbeaten PL run finally came to an end and the 'invincibles' tag was removed.

The vital first goal was won by a Rooney dive over Sol Campbell. It was a real shame to see Arsenal's great run ended in such a manner I have to say, and I'm not an Arsenal fan by the way.

Is the retrospective banning rule for diving in place only in Europe, and if so does anyone think it's time it was brought into the Premier League?

As far as I'm concerned the only difference between the Eduardo incident against Celtic and the Rooney incident against Arsenal is the quality of Goalkeeping. Boruc does brilliantly to keep his arms in, hence exposing Eduardo as a diver. Almunia rather clumsily has his arms out thus taking out Rooney (while he was already on his way to the floor) and it looks a valid penalty. If Almunia keeps his arms in Rooney's dive would be far more exposed. The intention by both players was exactly the same, and Eduardo has seemingly got unlucky that he's come up against a better goalkeeper.

If there is to be consistency on this rule and if the FA want to show a hard line against cheating, then Rooney should really receive the same ban as Eduardo, as his cheating was equally as bad. The fact he is a repeat offender makes this even more warranted in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I wonder how many of the people who think Rooney dived last weekend have actually played football at any sort of a decent level. Rooney's standing foot was dragging because he was already at full pelt stretching for the ball with his other foot.

If Almunia hadn't come off his line so far and so fast then Rooney wouldn't have had to stretch so far to make initial contact with the ball and his standing foot wouldn't have been dragging.

Granted this meant that with any contact at all from Almunia Rooney was completely off-balance and going over but that's the way the game works. It wasn't a dive by any stretch of the imagination, it was manipulation of the rules by over-stretching himself to make initial contact with the ball before the keeper did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Morzadec wrote: »
    Not the first time Arsenal have been undone by Rooney's diving. Anyone remember the Arsenal vs United match back in October 2004? It was the match in which Arsenal's massive unbeaten PL run finally came to an end and the 'invincibles' tag was removed.

The vital first goal was won by a Rooney dive over Sol Campbell. It was a real shame to see Arsenal's great run ended in such a manner I have to say, and I'm not an Arsenal fan by the way.

Is the retrospective banning rule for diving in place only in Europe, and if so does anyone think it's time it was brought into the Premier League?

As far as I'm concerned the only difference between the Eduardo incident against Celtic and the Rooney incident against Arsenal is the quality of Goalkeeping. Boruc does brilliantly to keep his arms in, hence exposing Eduardo as a diver. Almunia rather clumsily has his arms out thus taking out Rooney (while he was already on his way to the floor) and it looks a valid penalty. If Almunia keeps his arms in Rooney's dive would be far more exposed. The intention by both players was exactly the same, and Eduardo has seemingly got unlucky that he's come up against a better goalkeeper.

If there is to be consistency on this rule and if the FA want to show a hard line against cheating, then Rooney should really receive the same ban as Eduardo, as his cheating was equally as bad. The fact he is a repeat offender makes this even more warranted in my opinion

Yeah, the same run where there was rakes and rakes of draws and where Arsenal themselves cheated like mad to keep it going. Pires against Portsmouth anyone? It drives me mad to be honest, people going on and on about Arsenal's unbeaten run. It was a good achievement, but holy God has history been revised over it, and it's hugely overrated. You'd think that they'd beaten every team during the run three nil or something the way that people go on about it.

John Terry isn't the sharpest tool in the box. He's prone to coming out and saying stupid things. This is only the latest instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Rooney has fallen over for a penalty. What a plonker.

EDIT: I don't want to offend anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Rooney dived

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Typical really

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Rooney dived

Well in fairness he is Scouse(/Irish) and according to yer average chelski head of the John Terry mold thats foreign:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

aaronh007 wrote: »
    This caused numerous earthquakes around the world

And all this talk of diving reminded me that a certain Michel Salgado dived, in the friendly match against Shamrock Rovers. To dive in a normal league match is one thing but to do it in a friendly.....

Well practice makes perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

Like in fairness really..you think of any top player..they have DIVED at some point. Like Ronaldo for example in his early Man U career used 2 dive for fun until Fergie must hav talked to him and it wasn't an issue anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Those aren't dives, it's UEFAs anti English conspiracy because they hate England and all things English so much for no obvious reason doctoring the footage to make it look like good upstanding honest British players could possibly be resorting to the dirty antics of filthy foreigners who are ruining the game. Don't be fooled by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

beya2009 wrote: »
    Like in fairness really..you think of any top player..they have DIVED at some point. Like Ronaldo for example in his early Man U career used 2 dive for fun until Fergie must hav talked to him and it wasn't an issue anymore.
    :o
    Only because people got bored complaining about it!

Thats the problem with being a one-eyed fanboy;
    Lack of depth perception!:eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

english players are divers evry player in the world are divers messi,ronaldo,ibrahomich,rooney,eto,gerrard,lampard,fabregas the list is endless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

duff tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They made actually stop if the media/reporters actually had any testicles and brought them up over it. Why did a reporter not follow up and ask wayne rooney about the incident's at Arsenal in old trafford years ago or any of the other umpteem examples? If he gets embarissed in the middle of a press conference he might either A) stop diving or B) have the cop on not to harp on about how it's dishonesy and he doesn't like players doing it. Same with Fergie, if he hates it so much I'd love to know why he has never publicly critized any of his players for doing, he's hardly been short of chances either. Again they should've of asked terry how he feels when he sees drogba do it 3 times every game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

they didnt say anythin bout duff tonight when he dived!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They made actually stop if the media/reporters actually had any testicles and brought them up over it. Why did a reporter not follow up and ask wayne rooney about the incident's at Arsenal in old trafford years ago or any of the other umpteem examples? If he gets embarissed in the middle of a press conference he might either A) stop diving or B) have the cop on not to harp on about how it's dishonesy and he doesn't like players doing it. Same with Fergie, if he hates it so much I'd love to know why he has never publicly critized any of his players for doing, he's hardly been short of chances either. Again they should've of asked terry how he feels when he sees drogba do it 3 times every game.

Simple. It's only a problem when the opposition do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

46 seconds in...
    Rooney: What about that one Stevie?
    Gerrard: Not bad, 8.5, keep practicing

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-JtwWLaTmiic/wayne_rooneys_dive_frank_lampards_goal_1_0_england_vs_slovenia_05_09_09_hq/

Advertisement