Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend a gun shop

Options
  • 05-09-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi, i am looking to buy a new shotgun mainly for clay shooting, can anybody recomend any good gun shops that have a good selection of guns that i could try out for size,preferably in north west but will travel anywhere if its worth a look.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Bunnybuster, I see your from Donegal , so John Diver in Milford would be one of your options, he sells guns and has a clay ground so there will be an option to try before you buy-contact him on -086-886-4721.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Hi, i am looking to buy a new shotgun mainly for clay shooting, can anybody recomend any good gun shops that have a good selection of guns that i could try out for size,preferably in north west but will travel anywhere if its worth a look.

alrite bunnybuster,have a few for you,north west country sports in strabane 04871883021 ask for martin, good and help full ,or a man in mannor pm me and i will gave you his mobi his name is pat lough dont know him my self but going by others he will do ya a good turn before a bad one,good luck with it any way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There's a place in Newport in Co. Mayo that's supposed to be good for shotguns, not been there but often heard it recommended. He's got an add in the digest, McGee I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

johngalway wrote: »
    There's a place in Newport in Co. Mayo that's supposed to be good for shotguns, not been there but often heard it recommended. He's got an add in the digest, McGee I think.
    Hey John, yeah i purchased 2 rifles and a shotgun from him and found him very helpful and very reasonable with ammo, one the cheapest i know. He had a bad accident tho abt 3 yrs ago changing the extractors in a bolt and his hand got a bad doin after there was a live bullet in it. Don't know the exact details tho, forget how he told it. scary stuff tho to see his hand.
    He's a good gunsmith also. God idea to call him beforehand tho as he's not open everyday and can be gone fishin:d

After seeing rifles blow up online I'm not surprised such a thing would make a mess of someone :eek:

I must pay him a visit some day, I'm up Westport a few times a year anyway and it's not too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bunnybuster

Hi, have you been to Island sports in achill? same sort of area, look like they have a good selection, just wondering what its like?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

kay 9 wrote: »
    He had a bad accident tho abt 3 yrs ago changing the extractors in a bolt and his hand got a bad doin after there was a live bullet in it. Don't know the exact details tho, forget how he told it.
    Why do I have a feeling whomever left it in to him didn't unload it?
    Wouldn't be the first time I'd have seen that even in passing :mad:

Hi, have you been to Island sports in achill? same sort of area, look like they have a good selection, just wondering what its like?

Very bloody expensive, last time I was there.

When 240 Blitz' were going for €145 in the majority of places, they were charging €170. Remington UMC 45 or 50 grain at the time were around €11 a box I think and they were at €14. Lad I was with was looking at a deer rifle and while I can't remember the exact figures now it was considerably more expensive than a particular shop in Athlone.

Saying that, it's been a while since I've been there and things may have changed.

The telephone is your friend. If you see something you like, price it in all the places you can get numbers for, could save you a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Castlebar now!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

You could try McCloys in Toomebridge. They wouldn't be too far away from you.

Mallards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

ayapatrick wrote: »
    Castlebar now!
    And still expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

aim and swing (Ian Jameson) Kilfassey Mount Nugent Co Cavan You cant go wrong this this chap he has a great selecton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i know where there is a hand made italian clay gun going into a gun shop good and cheap. PM me if your intersted i will give you the details of the shop.

its not my gun by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Island Sports moved from Achill Island to Castlebar, I've dealt with them for a few years and regularly check prices against other shops, some things are more expensive but most stuff good value, imo... They have a fantastic selection of gear and I can't recommend them enough... Worth a call 0949025060

smallfry

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

smallfry wrote: »
    Island Sports moved from Achill Island to Castlebar, I've dealt with them for a few years and regularly check prices against other shops, some things are more expensive but most stuff good value, imo... They have a fantastic selection of gear and I can't recommend them enough... Worth a call 0949025060

smallfry

+1

where abouts in castlebar are they?

Pm sent stevoman

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Coming in to Castlebar from Dublin/Sligo road take the first exit off the first roundabout you come to, 150 yards on the left is Moneen Rd Industrial estate, they are located in one of the Units at the back...

smallfry

Advertisement