Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The History of FPS Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Something similar for ye if you've not seen it Póg, also these are most excellent :D

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/play-value

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really amazing what those early systems could amange before doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They loved their mazes back in the old days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow, ultima underworld was so far ahead of it's time. It had a better engine than doom in some ways but came before wolf 3D. Pity it needed a beast of a machine to run at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sooo..mannnyy...crapp...gammmes...head....gonnna...exx...pploodde :P

Looking forward to the next few in the series, 95+ was the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Sooo..mannnyy...crapp...gammmes...head....gonnna...exx...pploodde :P

Looking forward to the next few in the series, 95+ was the way :D

Sadly I've to admit that I started pc gaming during the era of the first vid, on this:

amstrad_cpc464.jpg

Pircay was rife back then, I used copy the tapes from my mates. This is before the invention of double deck cassette recorders, we used copy with 2 stereos in a quiet room :D
    I remember a few years buying a floppy disk drive for it, they were more durable than casettes but ruined my chances of pirating

There's a few they forgot. Descent 2 and Hellbender but no mention of the prequels Descent and Terminal Velocity. They also forgot jurassic park on the snes.

Didn't see Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Didn't see Marathon.

4th vid, about 3 mins in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They also forgot jurassic park on the snes.

No harm done there.

• Advertisement

fasty wrote: »
    4th vid, about 3 mins in.

Bah.... So much for being smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Man.. I remember playing Skynet on a 486DX2, and being disappointed with the frame rate (though it had been fine for Doom, which struggled a bit on a 386SX). I upgraded to a Pentium 133Mhz and was amazed at the power! I think I got Quake a few years later and then upgraded to a Pentium 200Mhz MMX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wow, ultima underworld was so far ahead of it's time. It had a better engine than doom in some ways but came before wolf 3D. Pity it needed a beast of a machine to run at the time.

UU was a technical marvel, true 3d unlike Doom which came years after. I'd totally forgotten about TerraNova, another fantastic game from The Looking Glass which sold about 4 copies.

Advertisement