Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masters

Options
  • 05-09-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

Is there any point doing a taught masters before a phd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Its a nice way of learning new skills for a year rather than getting
    stuck doing something very specific for 3/4 years.

I just completed one a few weeks ago and have no regrets. If anything,
    completing a masters highlights your competency for attempting a phd.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I start a taught masters in a few weeks and whoukd like to do a phd after it. I have some of the same issues, some of my lecturers dont see the point in doing a masters period before a phd instead go into phd directly. I also have concerns about funding IRCSET its ok if you have a master before a phd but it aimed at undergraduates and if i apply i am going to have to justify the masters and how it benefits any phd i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I'm not sure what the pre-requsites are for science/ engineering/ computing, but for arts/ humanities, a masters is definitely needed as a stepping stone to a phd. It would be very difficult to justify funding a phd without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

shmux wrote: »
    Hi

Is there any point doing a taught masters before a phd

Well, yes (yet it depends on the field). In my experience, there're pros and cons of doing a Taught Master's degree before a PhD, however.

My decision to commence a full-time Taught Master now was based strictly upon an undergraduate-degree criterion. Since I've undertaken a part-time BA, I was afraid that I would be alienated if I undertook a Master by Research.

It is worth pointing out that a Taught Master is better for people who change their fields. Say you did a BA in IT, and you want to do a PhD in Economics. I believe that a Master by Research in Economics would be definitely harder for you (to not say next to impossible) to make a deep study.

However, by choosing a Taught Master you stay in university one year longer (on average) - yet what is that mean in terms of whole life?

Advertisement