Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some one stealing my wifi?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i think there is some one useing my wifi router .can anyone hack my router i have wpa2 persoal and encryption type is aes .i am not savy with this kind of stuff. In the connect to a network window ,i open the window first and view avaible networks there are none, i then plug in my router and a unnamed network pops up with full green bars right under my network, could it be that this unnamed is gettig my wifi signal for free .any advice would be great .:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

sharing is caring...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

bahco143 wrote: »
    i think there is some one useing my wifi router .can anyone hack my router i have wpa2 persoal and encryption type is aes .i am not savy with this kind of stuff. In the connect to a network window ,i open the window first and view avaible networks there are none, i then plug in my router and a unnamed network pops up with full green bars right under my network, could it be that this unnamed is gettig my wifi signal for free .any advice would be great .:confused:

I get a 'unnamed network' signal too..but only if I set my SSID to not broadcast..at the moment my SSID is broadcasting but I have only one signal. Does this make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bahco143

i haven't the foggiest ,still trying to work this one out ,but tankyou for your interest. i seen that the unnamed network i have is not broadcasting, so i might be reciving a signal if that makes sence

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

i haven't the foggiest ,still trying to work this one out ,but tankyou for your interest. i seen that the unnamed network i have is not broadcasting, so i might be reciving a signal if that makes sence

Much the same as mehmeh12's case, try reading through this and see if it's the same as what you were seeing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663148

no i dont think so ..is it easy to crack the password , the ssid is visable in the logon to a network window . :)

• Advertisement

i also called chours and they said i cant get into my own router to see who might be useing it , can you see who's useing the router by loging into it , and if yes how can this be done its a cisco router, any help would be great. ;)

no i dont think so ..is it easy to crack the password , the ssid is visable in the logon to a network window . :)

How does seeing the SSID help someone to hack in? what encryption are you using?

AES imight be ,how do you say paranoid :eek:

AES imight be ,how do you say paranoid :eek:

i can relate- im not sure if i have wpa2 psk aes up or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

All that is happening is that your computer is ''seeing'' the other networks that are around you.

If you have wpa2 enabled are you as secure as it is currently possible to be.

Stop worrying and enjoy the internet etc:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    All that is happening is that your computer is ''seeing'' the other networks that are around you.

If you have wpa2 enabled are you as secure as it is currently possible to be.

Stop worrying and enjoy the internet etc:rolleyes:

But can WPA2 PSK with aes using a totally random 63 paraphrase be hacked? and when will there be new forms of encryption-ie when wpa2 psk itself becomes outdated?

ill try and explain it after this im giving up . 1. i turn on my computer and open the connect to a network window there are no networks available
    2. i plug in my router and my router pops up in the window at the same time a unnamed network with no ssid pops up , i then went into the wireless card and see this unnamed network is no broadcasting , if its not broadcasting it might be reciving . is this a sill view, :confused: this will be my last post on the matter ,thank you to all who replied,,,,

Advertisement