Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone sub teaching in Australia?

• 05-09-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has subbed or is subbing in primary schools in Australia. I'm considering it as one of my options..getting the forms ready for registration. I was hoping to maybe get a year's contract but with the downturn it seems like subbing may be the only option.
    Anyway my question is whether subbing is a viable option?
    Also once you register with one state is it easier to register in others or do you have to go through the same drawn out process??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sare

Hey,
    I subbed in Oz 03/04. Make sure that you register in plenty of time. I had to wait 6 months for my new south wales clearance and was stuck in sydney for a month. You have to register for each state completely seperately. I subbed in Melbourne and in Sydney. A lot more work was available in Sydney. I was registered with their version of text a sub and each morning I was off to somewhere different. Only got 2 or 3 days at a time together. Often, I was subbing as a music/drama teacher rather than a class teacher,but hey the moneys the same.

I was doing the backpacker trip for the year so money and an easy job were my priorities. To that extent I have to say that i much preferred the childcare work that I did over there. I suppose it depends on whether you're over for a holiday or not. While the hours are longer for childcare you don't have as much responsibility as there will aways be 2 or more aduts in a room. Its a great way to get to know other people.A LOT of irish teachers do it. I was in the same childcare centre in Melbourne for 2months and got regular work in sydney too. A lot to be said for knowing where youre going in the morning! If you think childcare might interest you-go to selecteducation.com.au and register with them.

Good luck!

Advertisement