Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult dog afraid of puppy!

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

My dog Benji he is male and he is a three year old shih tzu. We got a puppy the other day and he is terrified of her! Had them in the same room together all day and he just wanted to hide behind me. He tried to snap at her when she wanted to play also. I have been encouraging him trying to associate the experience with positive reinforcement like treats and saying good boy a lot but there was no change! What do I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I got a new pup last year when my other dog was 6 years old. The older dog was jealous at the start, which was understandable, and he ignored the pup. He didn't like her jumping up on him and trying to play with him. Also if the pup jumped into his basket he jumped out!

A year on they get on OK....just OK. But I think that's more the fact the older dog can be a bit aloof at times and doesn't really want to play. In saying that though, it was the best thing I ever did in getting a second dog, as they keep each other company when I am not around.

I would say with your pup just give it time. Maybe make sure your three year old shih tzu gets plenty of attention and doesn't get left out. I am sure in a short period of time they'll be best of friends.

Best of luck with the new arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not uncommon, think about it, its his territory and a new (female) puppy is now there. She's going to want to stick to him as she'll be without her family, want to play etc.

Our dog was about 2&half when we got our new puppy. She didn't take too well to her, but it's a good sign if they don't go for the puppy (ie attack). Make sure your guy has a place he can get away from her, so have his own space. Our Lily could get up on the couch or up a few steps to get away from Daisy if she wanted peace. After about a week they were getting on. Lily still wasn't overly impressed but was tolerating her very much. 6 months later and they get on great, Daisy needs Lily more than she(lily) needs her but they still get on really well and worry if the others crying or yelps.

Just for now, make sure you don't leave the two of them alone together just incase, and give your guy lots of attention too as they can get jealous. Playing with them together is good too. Let your chap get away from the pup if he wants to rest/a break.
    They just need time I'd say. Also is he neutered? (and assumidly you're getting her done when she's old enough?) Just as they're male and female together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Seems to be common enough, our collie is still afraid of the pup she will go off in a sulk and get grumpy if he comes too near so we're taking it slowly. She used to be brilliant with new dogs but he's small and bouncy I'm sure over time they'll be great friends but we're taking our time with it and letting her come around in her own time she's more relaxed around him than she was but she's still not much time for little bouncy dogs lol.

Perhaps taking your two pooches out for walks at the same time having someone else along to hold walk one and you walk the other bringing them out somewhere different and neutral and bringing them somewhere fun together might help the dog relax more and realise being around the pup means going somewhere fun.

That's my plan if it ever stops raining, the collie hates the rain and so does the pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

my older dog is jus over a year old. we got a new pup 6 weeks ago. now the older one wont come when she's called when she's outside! wont do anything i tell her to unless the pups not there! she wont even play tug of war which was her favorite game! she plays when my friends call over but as soon as they go she back to being depressed!

Advertisement