Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest credit card?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

never had one,not even sure how they work but need one for on-line purchases. I'd appreciate advice.
    Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the cheapest one is any credit card as long as you pay it off month by month.

if you're going to be getting a card based on the lowest APR, i'd say don't bother youself tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Ya once your not actually using a credit card to spend credit your fine. I buy things, then go onto internet banking and pay it off straight away. No APR taken into consideration. The only annoying cost is that it costs 30 euro a year for the card. Kinda harsh alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If you bank with Halifax or Ulster they do Visa Debit cards (Ulster will next week) - you can use them like a credit card but the money comes straight from your account like a laser card.

any word on when other banks (AIB) doing visa debit cards? have one for my american bank account and it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Why not get a card that earns you money?

Like the Tesco credit card.

And make sure to pay it off every month so you arent charged interest,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Or just set up a 100% direct debit when you apply for the card, thats what I did. No worries, works just like a debit card so long as you leave enough money in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD! Biggest mistake anyone can make in the World. If all you need it for is online purchases take a look at this.

www.3v.ie

These are basically online vouchers you can buy at any local retailer that are basically visa cards that can only be used online. You can only spend up to the amount you buy on the card. They're f*cking unbelievable. Have been using them since I was 15. No hassle ever. Used them for ebay, itunes, membership for the MMORPG I played, Microsoft points, Numerous others.

Please do yourself a favour and do not put yourself in a position of owning a credit. They're the biggest scam ever to come into the financial sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I used 3v for over a year and its a scam, you end up spending more money then you need, and all those extra euros add up over time. For me a credit card is cheaper, no hidden costs or user limitations and alot less hassle.

Slugs wrote: »
    DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD! Biggest mistake anyone can make in the World. If all you need it for is online purchases take a look at this.

www.3v.ie

These are basically online vouchers you can buy at any local retailer that are basically visa cards that can only be used online. You can only spend up to the amount you buy on the card. They're f*cking unbelievable. Have been using them since I was 15. No hassle ever. Used them for ebay, itunes, membership for the MMORPG I played, Microsoft points, Numerous others.

Please do yourself a favour and do not put yourself in a position of owning a credit. They're the biggest scam ever to come into the financial sector.

Credit cards are only expensive to dumb people (and i suppose there are a few of those) who dont pay them off before they are charged interest.

Used properly a credit card is much cheaper than the 3v card.

You would be better off with a CC than the money you are wasting with the 3v card?

www.3v.ie

yeh cause charging you 5euro everytime you need to top it up isn't a scam?

• Advertisement

yeh cause charging you 5euro everytime you need to top it up isn't a scam?

where as being charged vat on your purchases isn't?

and that's only for vouchers over a certain price.

I'll agree on the cost to transfer between cards being a load of bollocks though.

do not bring vat into this? vat has got nothing to do with this?

you're charge vat on credit card purchases and on 3v purchases. every country has vat in some shape or form, which you pay whether you know it or not if you use a credit card or 3v card.

if you can't even see that, you definitely should stick with your 3v cards, because it's people like you who fuel the media with their credit card debt stories and give the people who can use credit cards responsibly a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Visa debit card from halifax? Works just like a credit card and no interest etc.

where as being charged vat on your purchases isn't?

and that's only for vouchers over a certain price.

I'll agree on the cost to transfer between cards being a load of bollocks though.

LOL.
    Time to hit the books and go learn a thing or 2. Im sure the owners of 3v are laughing at you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Filan wrote: »
    never had one,not even sure how they work but need one for on-line purchases. I'd appreciate advice.
    Thanks
    A

Lowest credit card on the market is the AIB click card

di2772 wrote: »
    LOL.
    Time to hit the books and go learn a thing or 2. Im sure the owners of 3v are laughing at you too.

And why would they be?

And to the person who said don't bring Vat into this, Then don't bring the purchase charges from 3v cards into this.

As with everything in the financial sector, if it's not used responsibly or intelligently, then inevitably you're going to be in debt. That's not just with credit cards, that's with bank overdrafts, loans etc. I just find that more people end up in trouble with credit cards then anything else.

And why would they be?

And to the person who said don't bring Vat into this, Then don't bring the purchase charges from 3v cards into this.

As with everything in the financial sector, if it's not used responsibly or intelligently, then inevitably you're going to be in debt. That's not just with credit cards, that's with bank overdrafts, loans etc. I just find that more people end up in trouble with credit cards then anything else.
    right ok quite simply.

credit cards - allbeit except for a 30 euro govt. fee - are free to use provided you pay back the money.

3v cards are not free, they require you to pay 5 euro everytime you run out of money. now this is fine if you're doing once off payments, but if you're any way like most of the responsible people who use the internet for shopping you'd be giving a small fortune away to 3v on the 5 euro charge.

i have to bring "purchase charges" into it because quite simply these don't exist with credit cards. vat exists on everything no matter where you go unless you're tax free shopping and therefore if vat exists on everything it cannot be used as a positive point as to why 3v is better than a credit card.

more people end up with credit card debt because they think they can handle one, they see it like free money and then get shocked when they get a bill. it's their own fault. but in no way should they be a deciding factor for someone who wants to get a credit card, not everyone is stupid with their money and anyone with half a brain should be able to use a credit card without paying any fees bar the govt. fee.

/threadtbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

And why would they be?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a credit card. I was told the same rubbish from my parents "oh it will make you spend like crazy yada yada.."

If you pay before the end of the month then no interest is taken into account. The only thing you pay extra is the government stamp duty fee each year which is 40 euro.

Advertisement