Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coin collecting club meeting in Waterford?

• 05-09-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Anyone interested? Doesn't seem to be too much in the way of coin clubs down here in the southeast. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll arrange it!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Too far for me. Are you in the Numismatics Society? Meetings every Friday in Dublin except the Summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

No, I must join.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

If you are going to the October coin fair at the RDS you can sign up there, it's 20 euro for the year, they have regular lectures, presentations, competitions and an auction at Christmas. Some people travel up to it from all over the country, might even be someone from your area.

I didn't even know there was a coin fair??? Is this at the RDS in Dublin? Excuse my ignorance. Is there a website with this info on it? Thanks Blade!

Yeah, theres 2 major ones on every year at the RDS in Feb and Oct, then theres a smaller one somewhere in between those.

For some reason it doesn't mention the coins part here but the October one is combined with Stampa: http://www.rds.ie/cat_event_detail.jsp?itemID=667

• Advertisement

Thank you Blade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Blade wrote: »
    For some reason it doesn't mention the coins part here but the October one is combined with Stampa: http://www.rds.ie/cat_event_detail.jsp?itemID=667

thats because stampa doesnt like coin dealers, they consider us to be too vulgar:confused::confused:, something about being obsessed by the monitary value of our stock while they appreciate the beauty of their collection

at stampa the coin dealers are always pushed off into the far corner of the room and partitioned off from the stamp dealers

But the stamp guys are weirdos! As you know you have to walk through their area first and I remember once this weirdo standing around shouting his head off and laughing out loud with a piercing laugh, I had to look around for the cameras which aren't an unusual sight at those fairs.

One of the main men behind stampa is also into coins and has been to a few NSI meetings so the two are closer than you think. Stampa is their gig after all so they get the first area but in the last few years they brought in the coin guys. As far as I remember there was only the one fair in Feb before that. However this is the first year that Stampa haven't even mentioned the coin side of it, be it on the RDS site or their own site or news letter, so maybe theres something going on, will soon find out.

Advertisement