Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving family to australia

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

We are seriously thinking of moving our family to Australia for a better quality of life.
    We are both in our mid thirties and my wife is a qualified secondary school teacher who can't get a full time job here.
    What are the job prospects like for teachers at present.

Also what amount of money do you think we would need to survive for at least 6 months. We are be realistic in saying that it may take us 6 months to find work.

Any other coments would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

We are seriously thinking of moving our family to Australia for a better quality of life.
    We are both in our mid thirties and my wife is a qualified secondary school teacher who can't get a full time job here.
    What are the job prospects like for teachers at present.

Also what amount of money do you think we would need to survive for at least 6 months. We are be realistic in saying that it may take us 6 months to find work.

Any other coments would be appreciated

Hi,
    Probably need to be more specific regarding where in Australia you are looking at. Its a pretty big country.
    I believe the teaching requirements differ from state to state so it would be important to look at the specific state.

Whats your job? As you may want to factor that into your criteria.
    Its a pretty long process for visas and I dont believe that teaching is on the critical skills list so will take a couple of years realistically unless you can get state sponsorship(but be very careful in your research of areas). Also your wife possibly would need to do a bridging course in Aus as cant imagine the curriculum would be the same.

try the immi site for visa types etc

http://www.immi.gov.au/

also the search function here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54 as its a very good site for job specific issues

(mods - sorry if we cant post links to othe sites. please remove if so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Have you considered Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

In WA there are lots of teaching jobs. My OH is a teacher and has no problem getting work. She did her study here though. But as far as i know, if your wife did her teaching studies in Ireland, the Australian Government recognises her qualifications, so no need for a bridging course. Id look into that though, not 100% sure.

Check out www.thewest.com.au, on wednesday's and saturday's they have loads of jobs in there.

Advertisement