Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC Door Lock Busted

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

Any advise welcome. Back door to house is locked shut. Key will not turn in lock - appears to be broken, I can remove the key.

Any advise on how to repair.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

techeng wrote: »
    Hi,

Any advise welcome. Back door to house is locked shut. Key will not turn in lock - appears to be broken, I can remove the key.

Any advise on how to repair.

T

you will have to drill the lock so it will open the door. then you can take the barrel out by removing the screw that holes it in and replace it with a new one..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭techeng

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to leave it until next saturday so when I drill the barrel I can get the correct replacement

Dont want to be in a position with the door unlocked overnight

T

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Becareful most of the screws for the barrel are actually at the lock bit thats now caught behind the frame.

Thanks for the info.

Any danger that when I drill the barrell that I will still not be able to open the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

If it is a sliding door it may not be sitting properly on the tracks. I had a problem with one and it was difficult to lock and unlock. The door was not sitting square on the frame because a stone had become lodged under it.

;)

• Advertisement

Sorry should have expalined. Not a patio door, but the main back door, which is hinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

take off inside door handle, fasten vice grips to cylinder where key inserts, move gently from left to right cylinder will crack in half where fixing screw is and will pop out, you will be able to open actual lock with a bent piece of wire or any bent metal, replace with new cylinder.

Thanks for the info.

Any danger that when I drill the barrell that I will still not be able to open the door.

no danger, the lock will just twist into an open position. when you open the door you can get at the screw that holds the barrel in place..

Thanks for all the advise,

Brother-in-law came over yesterday and sprayed WD40 into the barrel. Key is now turning but it does not appear to be engaging locking mechanism.

Is it still a drilling out operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

altor wrote: »
    you will have to drill the lock so it will open the door. then you can take the barrel out by removing the screw that holes it in and replace it with a new one..

As a matter of interest, I have heard two versions of the actual drilling out process..

One refers to drilling the lock itself out (where the key is inserted) and the other is that you should drill just below the keyhole therby removing the pins which the key would use.

I would have thought that you should just drill where the key goes and this will disable the lock?

• Advertisement

Sorry, a little confused and showing my ignorance.

Should I use drill then use the vise grips or do I need to drill. Not sure from the posts above, which is the correct procedure.

Thanks for all the advise,

Brother-in-law came over yesterday and sprayed WD40 into the barrel. Key is now turning but it does not appear to be engaging locking mechanism.

Is it still a drilling out operation.

yes drill it out, it is the only way to release the pins on the lock..

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I would have thought that you should just drill where the key goes and this will disable the lock?

this is correct, it releases the pins to disable the lock on the door.

Thanks for the help guys. Going to tackle this on Friday. Let you know how I get on

Advertisement