Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience at garda station.

Options
  • 05-09-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

I submitted my reapplications to the firearms officer today and also presented him with an application for a new rifle, they seem to well versed with the new legislation and began by checking off my ID against the submitted photographs- the firearms guy went through my forms and checked them off against the checklist and okayed the submissions.

He also said that a visual inspection will probably take place at a later date to ensure that all firearms are where they should be as they suspect there are firearms which have been stolen or misplaced over the years and havent been reported, the owners simply continuing to relicence them.
    This inspection he hoped would take place at home out of prying eyes and would also give him a chance to check on security.
    He expressed his concern that it would probably be a bit of a nightmare with lots of folks not being up to speed with the new set -up So remember to take in ID lads when going to the station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

That sounds very positive - thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

anybody know how long i have to wait now for answer with that new application forms/system?
    i had apply again for my cert, because my old papers were sent in june... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sharky0922 wrote: »
    anybody know how long i have to wait now for answer with that new application forms/system?
    i had apply again for my cert, because my old papers were sent in june... :(
    By law, within three months of application. If you haven't got a licence or a refusal within three months, you are deemed to be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

rrpc wrote: »
    By law, within three months of application. If you haven't got a licence or a refusal within three months, you are deemed to be refused.
    thanks rrpc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just back from my local Garda station on a 'test run' with the re-application for my 9mm pistol.

A most pleasant and helpful young Garda (they're ALL getting young looking these days :() went through the form and supporting documents, and proclaimed himself happy with what I'd done.
    He said to go ahead and complete the others in the same manner and bring the lot in to him next week, when they're promised that the computer system will be able to accept them (the 15th).

He gave me a couple of numbers to call in the office, to make sure he'll be there when I call back.

Altogether, another example of the fine service I've always received at my local station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't think the gardai will be comming to my house to inspect our guns. We had a court case against them a good few years back about this... Judge ruled in favour of us. Do they have a right to check your home? Has it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I don't think the gardai will be comming to my house to inspect our guns. We had a court case against them a good few years back about this... Judge ruled in favour of us. Do they have a right to check your home? Has it changed?

What are the details? The Gardai have to be satisfied that your security is sufficient and that the firearms you're attempting to license are the ones you've got - that all the details match in other words? If your superintendent granted you licences when you refused to let him or agents of his inspect your house or the firearms, then I'm shocked he granted your licences. What was your court case about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Sparks wrote: »
    Y'know, even as I facepalm, I'm left thinking that this highlights a problem here - we've had two Firearms Acts and a dozen SIs relating to those Acts and the Guidelines and the FCP announcements and everything else since the Dunne case ... and Iamxavier is not a unique snowflake in not hearing about any of this.

Wouldn't mind seeing it be shooting.boards.ie that does this since we're fairly NGB-neutral (we just hate everyone to save time), but we need some sort of mechanism to be able to pass on major changes in the law like this to the 200,000-odd people with licenced firearms in this country.

Post no. 13 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672336

Also, I'm still waiting to get the forms at the station, despite 3 visits and a promise last night that "he" would phone me.

Jumping up and down is not going to help....

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Post no. 13 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672336

Also, I'm still waiting to get the forms at the station, despite 3 visits and a promise last night that "he" would phone me.

Jumping up and down is not going to help....
    You don't need to go to the station to get forms......

They're all over t'internet starting with www.garda.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

You don't need to go to the station to get forms......

They're all over t'internet starting with www.garda.ie

I know. I would have to print dozens of pages, of which I need only a few, using up the end of my cartridge! Also, they are not "fillable and savable" in that .pdf format which is a nuisance to say the least.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

"I know. I would have to print dozens of pages, of which I need only a few, using up the end of my cartridge! Also, they are not "fillable and savable" in that .pdf format which is a nuisance to say the least."

Just a suggestion - print off the 9 pages and take them to a local spar/centra or library and get them photocopied. :) Oh and do a spare copy so you can have a practise run at one of them first! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

pedroeibar wrote: »
    they are not "fillable and savable" in that .pdf format which is a nuisance to say the least.
    Very true, that. Side effect of doing them up in Word and exporting to PDF. Alas, if they'd just done them via OpenOffice, this wouldn't have been a problem (it's how we did the WTSC membership forms).

If you have Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader), you can fill them in with the Typewriter tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Rovi wrote: »
    If you have Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader), you can fill them in with the Typewriter tool.

And there's a free 30 day trial on the Pro version. It's a hefty download though I think, over 300 megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think I might do that.

I've also been informed/shown by someone with better Acrobat-fu than me, that you can use the Form tool to convert it to a user-fillable form in ordinary Acrobat Reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I've also been informed/shown by someone with better Acrobat-fu than me, that you can use the Form tool to convert it to a user-fillable form in ordinary Acrobat Reader.
    That would be a godsend if it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

His acrobat-fu is strong

Anybody willing to do that and post the converted form here? I don't have Acrobat but if I had..... ;)

Anybody willing to do that and post the converted form here? I don't have Acrobat but if I had..... ;)
    There's a question as to whether that's okay though - I mean, you are modifying an official form after all.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn't take responsibility for or recommend changing an official form. But If you load it in Acrobat 9 Pro (free 30 day trial) it automatically (run form field recognition) scans and recognises most of the fields, it has a bit of trouble with a few check boxes but you can add fields manually. Then save the form and you can click on the fields and type in using the pointy hand thing, and indeed anyone who gets that version of the form can click and fill too.

Perhaps when the form is being tweaked again, the good people in the Gardaí might do a form like this and distribute it electronically for those who request it, like utility bills and the like, it can be printed out for a signature/hard copy to present at a hatch?

Or you could just write in the information on x number of forms with, say, a pen, and rest your arm for 3 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There's a question as to whether that's okay though - I mean, you are modifying an official form after all.

no you are not - it is the same as if you printed it out, put it in a typewriter and typed over it.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    put it in a typewriter
    B'Man

Showing your age there B'Man!

For those under 50:

Typewiter -
    A mechanical writing machine that produces characters similar to typeset print by means of a manually operated keyboard that actuates a set of raised types, which strike the paper through an inked ribbon.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

An alot simpler device it was too!:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    An alot simpler device it was too!:p

Aye, it's been all down hill since that infernal IBM Golfball! :D:D:D:D

Bananaman wrote: »
    no you are not - it is the same as if you printed it out, put it in a typewriter and typed over it.
    Yes, you are. Typing on a form is one thing - but here you're actually changing the underlying form. Even if it's just a technical thing, I'd rather we didn't get done just to make some ISO9000 jobsworth's day, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Meet with my local Sgt today, always been a pleasure to deal with.
    General discussion on the whole firearm piece was not to encouraging, didn't have much of a clue, when I showed him the Commissioners guidelines if was the first time he had seen them :)

Advertisement