Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remedy for Baby Cough - CalCold? Dozol?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Our 18 month old daughter is waking up at night with a persistent cough (related to teething).

To-date we have used Calpol & Nurofen to help her settle.

Has anybody used CalCold or Dozol? I hear that they help dry up coughs however I’m hearing conflicting info regarding recommended age – some say over 2 and others say over 6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you happy there isn't any infection?

The best advice would be from your nurse, GP or pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DaisyBabe

Victor wrote: »
    Are you happy there isn't any infection?

The best advice would be from your nurse, GP or pharmacist.

Yep we have confirmed there is no infection...just wanted to see if anybody had experience with Dozol or Calcold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

don't hav any experience with wat you mentioned but with my lo i would normally put an extra pillow under his head at night, put euchaluptus in his room at night and give him citrus fruits and hoeny (preferably manuka) he is never sick and wen he does get a cough or cold it goes over night a lot of the time. hope this might help

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mommy

DaisyBabe wrote: »
    Our 18 month old daughter is waking up at night with a persistent cough (related to teething).

To-date we have used Calpol & Nurofen to help her settle.

Has anybody used CalCold or Dozol? I hear that they help dry up coughs however I’m hearing conflicting info regarding recommended age – some say over 2 and others say over 6.

used dozal for 7 mths child. Very good alternative, actually recommended by doctor and is very good for drying up nasal congestion, As the name suggests it can make them sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The MHRA in the UK has now said that cough and cold preparations should not be used in the under sixes as there is no evidence that they actually do have any benefit and so children should not be exposed to any of the potential side effects as the risk -v- benefit analysis would not show enough benefit. However in Ireland the IMB has said that once used within their licensed indications i.e. over 2 years, short-term etc it is fine.

Dozol, Teedex etc have paracetamol with a sedating antihistamine. They used to be licensed from 3 months and up, as was Calpol. However they are now only licensed for 2 years and over - this is because there were a few cases in the US where there were incidents of over-sedation of children and is because, apparently, the dose for babies was worked out by extrapolating down from the adult dose and this is not a reliable method due to te huge differences between adult and infant systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Mommy wrote: »
    used dozal for 7 mths child. Very good alternative, actually recommended by doctor and is very good for drying up nasal congestion, As the name suggests it can make them sleepy.

Just to warn you Dozol made my 1 year old (at the time) hyperactive for days afterwards and other people I knew reported similar side effects. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 samanthacarter

Dozol is no more for sale for under 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katieboo84

i never used dozol for my child shes almost 3 but my bf brothers gf used it nearly everynite as a pure lazy way to get the child off to sleep, now if u compare the 2 kids now, he is 5 and mine is 3, (not been bitchy or anything or biased to my child), he seems slow and dopey almost, she didnt let him go to sleep on his own accord.
    i heard its like takind a sleeping tablet everynight.
    i used carvol i think it was, u put in onto the pillow its like a little drop of vapour smelly stuff to clear their nose and throat.
    for the cough just leave a glass of water in the room so the room aint to dry with heating and stuff.
    gudluck

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

hiya
    my 19mth old also has the same - i went to a chemist and they gave me honey and glycerin (spelling ?? ) and it really worked, she even liked the taste of it- i also give her calpol for her temp -

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

We used a medicine called Pholcodex on our 3-year-old who was coughing through the night. Our GP recommended it for her after we unsuccessfully tried a couple of more natural remedies. We gave her one dose of the stuff before bed and the the coughing stopped overnight. You can get it over the counter. It contains codeine I think, so use only for a short period. Not sure if it's suitable for an 18-month old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hey as most people have said Dozol is from 2 up now as far as i know cal cold isnt available here just yet, most pharmacies wont sell cough bottles containing codeine over the counter anymore unless u have a note from the doctor, there are no cough bottles other than sootha which is a homeopathic one for under twos
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Honey and Glycerin is supposed to be very good. Pharmacist told me it's only for over 1's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

jeni wrote: »
    hiya
    my 19mth old also has the same - i went to a chemist and they gave me honey and glycerin (spelling ?? ) and it really worked, she even liked the taste of it- i also give her calpol for her temp -

the cough and the temp were still going 5 days later so i brought her to the doc today she has an ear infection and a viral infection - i feel awful poor lil mite :(
    from now on i dont care - straight to the doctors

Advertisement