Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many of the irish players would get in the England squad

• 05-09-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I remember years ago thinking about this and back then there was 6 or 7 who would make the england squad but now i reckon only Given and Keane would make it, we are in a bad way and not much coming through, this could be our last chance in making a finals for a very long time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

given.

keane, only because they've a lack of top quality forwards.

steven reid would have a small chance if he could stay fit, ever.

that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

John O'Shea wouldn't be far off it.

Stephen Ireland possibly as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i reckon given would start for england.after that keane and o'shea would be in the squads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Shay Given would start.

Robbie Keane would be in the squad I would say.

John O Shea would have a chance for his sheer versatility.

Otherwise no else has near the quality to get near the England squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Stacksey wrote: »
    I remember years ago thinking about this and back then there was 6 or 7 who would make the england squad but now i reckon only Given and Keane would make it, we are in a bad way and not much coming through, this could be our last chance in making a finals for a very long time

Yeah agree. I would say Given would defo make it in th England squad but not all that sure about Keane, yes in the squad but not in the starting 11.
    After that there is literaly no-one. Also agree if we don't make to South Africa it could be a long long time until we get to another world cup.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »

good call. always forgetting JOS.

come to think of it, i'd be a little surprised if he didn't make it, considering the likes of gary neville and luke young get in even now when fit.

no disrespect to them, but JOS is the model of consistency these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I am sure Mr "Ireland" would love to turn out for England.

He should change his name by deed poll if he has any sense of embarassment at all.

Judging by some of his antics it seems that he does not understand the concept of embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

blinding wrote: »

He should change his name by deed poll if he has any sense of embarassment at all.

Judging by some of his antics it seems that he does not understand the concept of embarassment.

If you read Stephen Ireland's wikipedia page it says he considered opting for England or Italy years back when he was arguing with Brian Kerr, also i hear he was at the oasis gig in slane, im sure he was approached once or twice that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Still not quite as embarrassing as that post though.

we already have a thread for Stephen Ireland.

he's not in the irish squad, so let's make him exempt from discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

given and keane would both be certain starters, ffs heskey starts every game for england these days

o'shea, dunne would both be in the squad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    given and keane would both be certain starters, ffs heskey starts every game for england these days

Not a chance Keane would be starting for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They'd rip our arms off for Given, after that, nobody would start in their team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

thats cos Heskey can play the target man role and set up chances for people like Rooney or Defoe, Robbie Keane cant do that he would fit into the Second striker role just as Rooney & Defoe do.

imo only given would get in the first team from the current squad (Stephen Ireland not included)

and only O'Shea & Keane might make the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

i reckon given would definitely be in with shout of a start as for the rest, keane o'shea and dunne would probably make the squad. in fairness if duffer can get back to his best he probably would make it too england not exactly laden down with top class left sided players.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Heskey starts cause of the Job he does for the team, he's a strong target man unlike our own Robert Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Given would be a starter.

Ireland and Keane would make the squad regularly.

Doyle and O'Shea would probably make the squad in an injury crisis/friendly/B international.

No one else comes close.

ffs heskey starts every game for england these days

because he suits the way Capello wants them to play.

Defoe doesn't get a start ffs.

neither does Cole, and they're both better than Heskey.

Keane's direct competition would be Rooney, then potentially Stevie. he wouldn't have a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Given would start.

Keane would make squad, and maybe start, depending on form/availability of Agbonlahor, Owen, Crouch etc.

Stephen Ireland would make squad, and would push for a starting place, but probably wouldn't start. This is more to do with England's abundance of world class talent in the central-midfield role.

John O'Shea would probably make squad due to versatility. Glen Johnson is probably the only better English right-back than O'Shea.

Richard Dunne, maybe. Ferdinand, Terry, Lescott are all ahead of him. Dunne would probably be ahead of Upson, Jagielka etc. though, which would make him 4th best centre-back.

Other than those, not really anyone else would make it near the England squad. Duff, Hunt, Doyle, maybe with a injuries in their positions and them being on terrific form might warrant a call-up, but in general, no.

So I would say 1 would make starting line-up, and 5 would make the squad.

villager wrote: »
    i reckon given would definitely be in with shout of a start as for the rest, keane o'shea and dunne would probably make the squad. in fairness if duffer can get back to his best he probably would make it too england not exactly laden down with top class left sided players.
    Ashley Young & Joe Cole...

• Advertisement

if owen was fit and scoring regularly do you really think heskey would be starting :D it would be owen and rooney like it was for the 3 years previous starting every game, target man my a**, heskey is only starting because the like of defoe, crouch etc are not playing consistently enough

heskey is only starting because the like of defoe, crouch etc are not playing consistently enough

defoe has never played more regularly. and he's never scored as consistently.

SlickRic wrote: »
    because he suits the way Capello wants them to play.

Defoe doesn't get a start ffs.

defoe sat on the bench alot at spurs last season too while keane was on the pitch ;)

if owen was fit and scoring regularly do you really think heskey would be starting :D it would be owen and rooney like it was for the 3 years previous starting every game, target man my a**, heskey is only starting because the like of defoe, crouch etc are not playing consistently enough
    Defoe has had a much better start to the season than Heskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Man it really makes you realise how bad our squad is:(

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Richard Dunne, maybe. Ferdinand, Terry, Lescott are all ahead of him. Dunne would probably be ahead of Upson, Jagielka etc. though, which would make him 4th best centre-back.
    The Richard Dunne of two seaons ago would have been 4th choice centre back. He was horrible last season though.

Also, if you compare this to the 2002 world cup squads, Ireland would have a lot more players starting/in the squad.

Given, Harte, Kelly, Duff would all have started (Roy Keane obviously would have also started but whether you count him as 'in the Ireland squad' is a whole different story).

Kiely or Kelly could easily have made it into the squad as back-up keepers. Steve Finnan may have also made the squad. Players like Staunton, Holland and Keane would have pushed for a place but probably wouldn't have made it.

So that's a difference of 5 starting and 7 in the squad, compared to 1 starting and 5 in the squad

The Richard Dunne of two seaons ago would have been 4th choice centre back. He was horrible last season though.

I'd still say that Dunne's experience and leadership may just give him the nod over Jagielka or Upson. But I couldn't really argue if either of those players were picked ahead of Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

thats cos Heskey can play the target man role and set up chances for people like Rooney or Defoe, Robbie Keane cant do that he would fit into the Second striker role just as Rooney & Defoe do.

Really don't understand why Heskey is in the England team. There are plenty of other players who can do everything Heskey does and score goals. In fact he doesn't even set up that many chances either - 2 assists he got last season in the premier league which is pathetic even for an out and out goalscorer, never mind someone whose sole purpose is apparently to create chances for his teammates.

For the thread thats in it, Stephen Ireland is an example of someone who can play Heskey's role and score goals and get assists. From England's point of view I'd love to see Gerrard in his Liverpool role playing off Wayne Rooney up front. Two of the best players in the world playing together up front. England have a great team but as long as cabbage-head keeps playing Gerrard, one of the best players in the world, out of position on the left in order to accomadate an average player like Heskey, they have no chance of winning the world cup.

On-topic Given would have been the no.1 most of his career and they would have loved to have Duff in the Eriksson days when he was at his peak and England didn't have any good left-sided players, but he wouldn't make it right now. Keane would have been in and out of the team and although I don't think he is good enough to be in the first 11 right now he is way better than Heskey, including at setting up chances for the other players.

Richard Dunne wouldn't get near the English team at the minute - City didn't even consider him good enough to be a backup and got rid of him; Ferdinand, Terry, Lescott are ahead of him and probably Upson and Jagielka as well. O'Shea is playing regularly for United so might make the squad as a backup fulback. Actually, he'd probably compete with Gary Neville and Wes Brown (as he does at United) if those two were fit.

• Advertisement

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Also, if you compare this to the 2002 world cup squads, Ireland would have a lot more players starting/in the squad.

Given, Harte, Kelly, Duff would all have started (Roy Keane obviously would have also started but whether you count him as 'in the Ireland squad' is a whole different story).

Kiely or Kelly could easily have made it into the squad as back-up keepers. Steve Finnan may have also made the squad. Players like Staunton, Holland and Keane would have pushed for a place but probably wouldn't have made it.
    I'm sorry but that is rubbish.

The only player we had in 2002 who would have definitely started in the England team was Roy Keane. Seaman was ever-present in the England goal in 2002, Given would definitely have been number two though. Duff would have been competing with Joe Cole as backup for Gerrard. Harte wouldn't have got into the squad ahead of Ashley Cole or Bridge and Kelly would definitely not have started ahead of Gary Neville.

The rest of the players you mention wouldn't even have made the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

As of now not many irish players 2bh but thats because of the quality of the England squad. i mean they have so many decent players on the bench.

I'd say:

Given would easily get in.
    Keane on the bench (going on International form tho..hasn't been the best in recent times)
    John Oshea too as he's versatile but on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

He'd like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Agree with everyone else really Given would start of that i have no doubt and O Shea for his versatility and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

who cares ?

anyone who doesn't think Paul McShane would get in...well...i just worry for your sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Really don't understand why Heskey is in the England team. There are plenty of other players who can do everything Heskey does and score goals. In fact he doesn't even set up that many chances either - 2 assists he got last season in the premier league which is pathetic even for an out and out goalscorer, never mind someone whose sole purpose is apparently to create chances for his teammates.

For the thread thats in it, Stephen Ireland is an example of someone who can play Heskey's role and score goals and get assists. From England's point of view I'd love to see Gerrard in his Liverpool role playing off Wayne Rooney up front. Two of the best players in the world playing together up front. England have a great team but as long as cabbage-head keeps playing Gerrard, one of the best players in the world, out of position on the left in order to accomadate an average player like Heskey, they have no chance of winning the world cup.

On-topic Given would have been the no.1 most of his career and they would have loved to have Duff in the Eriksson days when he was at his peak and England didn't have any good left-sided players, but he wouldn't make it right now. Keane would have been in and out of the team and although I don't think he is good enough to be in the first 11 right now he is way better than Heskey, including at setting up chances for the other players.

Richard Dunne wouldn't get near the English team at the minute - City didn't even consider him good enough to be a backup and got rid of him; Ferdinand, Terry, Lescott are ahead of him and probably Upson and Jagielka as well. O'Shea is playing regularly for United so might make the squad as a backup fulback. Actually, he'd probably compete with Gary Neville and Wes Brown (as he does at United) if those two were fit.

ahem..didnt you hear his interview!! they sold him cos they needed the money!! research man, research!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

oh and liam miller would make the squad also!! for the same reasons he currently is in the ireland squad...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

For the thread thats in it, Stephen Ireland is an example of someone who can play Heskey's role and score goals and get assists.

um what :confused:

Heskeys role is as a CF target man used to bring players like Rooney into the game, Stephen Ireland is a CM albeit an attacking one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Harte wouldn't have got into the squad ahead of Ashley Cole or Bridge and Kelly would definitely not have started ahead of Gary Neville.

The way I remember that world cup cole was responsible for nearly every goal england conceded via a long ball from right to left over his head by team's attacking against England. He was a bit of a liability at the time, he's improved hugely since then obviously. Personally, at the time Roy Keane, Duff and Given would have started for England. Maybe Finnan ahead of both Harte and Cole, just for his consistency but that's it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Mcgeady possibly if he moved to the premier leage. If James Milner can make the squad then any winger weve had bar kilbane would have a chance.

Duff before he went to geordie land would have been a starter for sure. On his day he was up there with Giggs,Ronaldo & Robben as a winger. Pity he didnt end up at old trafford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

That is just childish, mindless nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lads after a bad performance the worse thing you can do is compare squads with one of the most talented the world has. It'll just make you more depressed. cheer up the 3 points are in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

At a push Keane, the only other who might get even a look in would be O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Lads after a bad performance the worse thing you can do is compare squads with one of the most talented the world has. It'll just make you more depressed. cheer up the 3 points are in the bag.

When was the last time Ireland put in a good performance? Has there been one under Trappatoni?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

SantryRed wrote: »
    When was the last time Ireland put in a good performance? Has there been one under Trappatoni?
    Italy away not so long ago was a good performance. Short memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

CHD wrote: »
    Italy away not so long ago was a good performance. Short memory!

We were playing against 10 men for around 80mins though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

SantryRed wrote: »

what the hell has this got to do with what i was saying? i said not to compare squads, a good performance tonight would not have meant any other irish players being able to get into the england squad.

I was just saying cheer up in response to the thread being started in the first place. Its daft for a smaller nation to compare itself with a much stronger nation (football terms). Getting to the WC is the priority.

eoin99 wrote: »
    We were playing against 10 men for around 80mins though!
    So? Good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

CHD wrote: »
    So? Good performance.

Not saying it wasn't a good performance, it definitely was our best in qualification to date. Just that it is a whole lot easier to play well against 10 than it is against 11.

It is but my point was it was a good performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement